• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 Superduty

SCW said:
Spoken like a Ford sales manager. That Ford tranny is a terd that just won't polish. Ford makes the best body/frame combo, but the drivetrain sucks rocks. Imo, of course :D

Any evidence to back that up? :)

The old Ford trans, the E40D, definitely had problems, though so did the Chevy, but they didn't have a super stout diesel to push it hard, or guys with souped up diesels to thrash them. And you can definitely polish the Ford E40D into a bullit proof trans with aftermarket parts, many, many people have done it and many companies sell the trans in a beefed up package. I have all the good stuff in my E40D behind my chipped and intercooled OBS PS and expect the trans to last indefinitely.

Oh, and the old Ford C4 and especially C6 were legendary for toughness. Ford and Chevy both used to have good auto trannies, then both had problems went they went to OD. Now, they both are building good trannies again. Oh wait, GM doesn't have it's own tranny, it uses a new smaller Allison..... :D

Goatman said:
Any evidence to back that up?

The old Ford trans, the E40D, definitely had problems, though so did the Chevy, but they didn't have a super stout diesel to push it hard, or guys with souped up diesels to thrash them. And you can definitely polish the Ford E40D into a bullit proof trans with aftermarket parts, many, many people have done it and many companies sell the trans in a beefed up package. I have all the good stuff in my E40D behind my chipped and intercooled OBS PS and expect the trans to last indefinitely.

Oh, and the old Ford C4 and especially C6 were legendary for toughness. Ford and Chevy both used to have good auto trannies, then both had problems went they went to OD. Now, they both are building good trannies again. Oh wait, GM doesn't have it's own tranny, it uses a new smaller Allison.....

Evidence to back up that they have the best body and frame? Sure. I used to live on a farm that was 45 miles from the nearest paved road, and the dirt wasn't maintained well, if you know what I mean. I had 185K miles on my F250 when it left me (long story, it was sold while I was out of town) and it had no problems whatsoever. Tight body and suspension, steering was great and it still got in the mid-teens for fuel economy. I had the 5.8L V8. At the same time a friend of mine got a similar year Cheby. Within 50K miles the bed had fallen off, door wouldn't shut and the interior had disintegrated. He dumped it for a Powerstroke, put 70K miles and lost the tranny. Put 50K on that tranny, then got another.

All the while my brother in law (who also lives on this farm) put over 400K miles on his Cummins, although he went through 3 trucks with the same engine. Dodge isn't much better than Chevy in that area- but they are a little. I really don't care for a tranny that you have to put a new valve body in for a grand before it can handle the stock motor and tow rating. Seems pretty cheap and backwards to me.

I'd love it if Ford built a long-lasting I-6 diesel. I don't think there is any engine around that can compete with the Cummins over 300K miles, over time we'll find out if the Duramax will, but no question the P(o)S can't. Too bad it only comes in a Dodge wrapper, because I'd love to have it in a Ford.

SCW said:
Evidence to back up that they have the best body and frame? Sure. I used to live on a farm that was 45 miles from the nearest paved road, and the dirt wasn't maintained well, if you know what I mean. I had 185K miles on my F250 when it left me (long story, it was sold while I was out of town) and it had no problems whatsoever. Tight body and suspension, steering was great and it still got in the mid-teens for fuel economy. I had the 5.8L V8. At the same time a friend of mine got a similar year Cheby. Within 50K miles the bed had fallen off, door wouldn't shut and the interior had disintegrated. He dumped it for a Powerstroke, put 70K miles and lost the tranny. Put 50K on that tranny, then got another.

All the while my brother in law (who also lives on this farm) put over 400K miles on his Cummins, although he went through 3 trucks with the same engine. Dodge isn't much better than Chevy in that area- but they are a little. I really don't care for a tranny that you have to put a new valve body in for a grand before it can handle the stock motor and tow rating. Seems pretty cheap and backwards to me.

I'd love it if Ford built a long-lasting I-6 diesel. I don't think there is any engine around that can compete with the Cummins over 300K miles, over time we'll find out if the Duramax will, but no question the P(o)S can't. Too bad it only comes in a Dodge wrapper, because I'd love to have it in a Ford.

Did I miss the evidence part? You have years? Do you have any experience with a 2003 or newer Ford SD transmisison?

cracker said:
Did I miss the evidence part? You have years? Do you have any experience with a 2003 or newer Ford SD transmisison?

My Ford was a '95, the PS Ford was a 2001. Both held up fine over long-haul over rough roads. The new Chevy with a Duramax doesn't seem to be holding up as well on the roads, but the drivetrain is really nice.

Both PS Fords I had much to do with on a personal basis were pre-03 models. Was that the same year they went to the smaller Powerstroke motor?

I just got back from Moab last week and one of our party has the new Chevy diesel in the 4 door car hauler style. He had nothing but Fords until he bought one of the newer 6 liter ones. Trouble! Tried a Chevy this time. It lasted from western North Carolina until Limon, CO. There it sat for the week and the dealer still wasn't able to figure why it didn't produce power under load.
I loved my 2001 Power Stroke. It gave me virtually no problem. But I needed a better braking package for towing a big trailer with 2 to 3 Jeeps on it. Got a really good deal on a Freightliner M2. It tows REALLY sweet! Also $4000 less than the local dealer wanted for the new Ford F250.

SCW said:
Was that the same year they went to the smaller Powerstroke motor?

2003 was the year they introduced the 6.0 L PS as well as the Torqueshift tranny.

Sounds to me if you had experience with the newer drivetrain you may have had a different response than what you posted earlier.

SCW said:
Spoken like a Ford sales manager. That Ford tranny is a terd that just won't polish. Ford makes the best body/frame combo, but the drivetrain sucks rocks. Imo, of course :D

I wouldn't say the whole drivetrain suck........I would take the solid axle combo out of any late model ford over anything chevy or dodge had come up with. the only exception would be the Power Wagon for the lockers.........though no lockout hubs does suck.

cracker said:
2003 was the year they introduced the 6.0 L PS as well as the Torqueshift tranny.

Sounds to me if you had experience with the newer drivetrain you may have had a different response than what you posted earlier.

Could be, I sure loved my 2 Fords a lot more than the 2 Chevys I had but those PS and the trannys really dissapointed me. I still can't get over what a great engine the Cummins is though.

SCW said:
Could be, I sure loved my 2 Fords a lot more than the 2 Chevys I had but those PS and the trannys really dissapointed me. I still can't get over what a great engine the Cummins is though.

Don't get me wrong. I have burned up a Ford tranny (5.4L with 90K on it) before too. ;)

SCW said:
Who's responsible for that boat-anchor front bumper? What a pig.

Who gives a sh!t? It's diesel. It can handle it.

cracker said:
Who gives a sh!t? It's diesel. It can handle it.

Yeah, but I'd rather look at the deisel. What is there, 1/4 acre of chrome on each corner?

Oh gee....another GM car that thinks its a truck.

Prediction: GM still will not make a dent in the "work" truck market, that is currently dominated by Ford and Dodge.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Oh gee....another GM car that thinks its a truck.

Prediction: GM still will not make a dent in the "work" truck market, that is currently dominated by Ford and Dodge.

Rev

Rev, I totally agree with you there.

Anyways, who wants a heavy duty truck with IFS?

it looks like to me that some one tried to shove a 3/4 or 1 ton drive train into a colorado. and then cover up where they needed to with chrome.

ITS UGLY!!!!

Well you asked for the ford guys to chime in.. I still think the ford is the best all around package. That being said if I needed a work truck I was going to beat up and turn over every 3 years or so I would get a dodge, they seem to be priced right. Would dodge even be a player without the Cummins? For longer term I still prefer the ford. Probably a moot point since I don't need a new truck, I love my 200k mile 99 PSD it runs strong and hauls what I need it too.

Gary E said:
Well you asked for the ford guys to chime in.. I still think the ford is the best all around package. That being said if I needed a work truck I was going to beat up and turn over every 3 years or so I would get a dodge, they seem to be priced right. Would dodge even be a player without the Cummins? For longer term I still prefer the ford. Probably a moot point since I don't need a new truck, I love my 200k mile 99 PSD it runs strong and hauls what I need it too.

i agree my 99 250 PSD w/180k has worked hard since the day it came of the lot and and its never had any problems and runs like the day it was bought, we just got an 06 350 with a 6.0l and its almost got 10k problem free miles and i love pulling up to ricers in it and blowing them away, that usually makes my day and its stock, and if u guys really want a ford with a Cummins get an F650+(u can also get with a cat diesel too)

Most dodge trucks i have experience with have fallen apart prematurely. This would explain Dodge's higher than average depreciation rate on their trucks. Cummins is a good motor but as for an overall good truck, my vote is for the Ford PSD. Its a well built truck with a real good motor in it. I have a laundry list of beef with the duramax also.

Back