• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 Superduty

DrMoab said:
Don't have any experience with International inline six's.

Most of ours have Cummins in them.

I drove an IH with the IH inline 6 for a few years hauling milk. I loved the motor, great power and economy. When I moved to New Mexico in 05 I rented an IH with the I-6 and an auto and I still loved the truck, but I was wishing I had a split axle with the manual (not available in the rental truck).

When I came back I ended up with the Cheby and CAT I-6. What a POS, that big hill between Price and Green River UT (headed north) had me down to 20mph, and I only got 8mpg compared to the 12 in the IH. And the Alison tranny seemed to find a gear and stay in it come hell or high water. Kicking down was just a hope and a prayer.

I love the mid-sized IH. I never drove OTR, but for the hauling I did it was great!

dzraces said:
My Dad has a 99 3500 with the cummins TD and I way perfer it to the puke strokes we have at work. not to mention all the breakdowns we have had with the fords. (one 02 f-350 has had 6 trannys in less than 100,000 miles)

My brother in law has nearly a half-million miles on his 12-valve cummins. There isn't now nor ever has been a better engine for passenger cars and light duty trucks. Imo.

My dad drove a Dodge 3500 truck, duelly, utility cap, only 2wd(otherwise i woulda bought it) for work...all he ever had to fix were the brakes and what not, had almost 300,000 miles on it, if i remember correctly. Now his company gave him a brand new e-450 powerstroke with utility cap, had it two weeks and the injectors went to crap. I've seen more of his enterprise rent-a-van than i have of his work truck ever since. I miss that cummins. Taken from another forum: "I'd rather be cummin than strokin'"

I loved that truck!

Hopnestly, when I went from my '00 5.3 Silverado to the '01 PSD, I was in awe of how dramatic the power, mileage, and overall driveability was, compared to the Chevy and swore never to go back to gas.
After getting the Dodge, I am again in awe of how dramatic the power, mileage, and overall driveability is over the Ford.
Personally, I'm just thrilled that they are only getting better, every year, with every brand.

DrMoab said:
Come on all you Ford guys? Where is the love? :D

I've never owned a Dodge, but I've has two Fords (1 1/2 ton and 1 3/4 ton) and I've had two chevys (also one of each).

My 3/4ton Ford was my favorite car I've ever owned, but it wasn't the deisel. I've driven a lot of them, but can't afford one yet.

OT said:
Hopnestly, when I went from my '00 5.3 Silverado to the '01 PSD, I was in awe of how dramatic the power, mileage, and overall driveability was, compared to the Chevy and swore never to go back to gas.
After getting the Dodge, I am again in awe of how dramatic the power, mileage, and overall driveability is over the Ford.
Personally, I'm just thrilled that they are only getting better, every year, with every brand.
That being said Terry....you gotta admit. The new Duramax's are pretty impressive in the power dept.

Still a V-8 diesel is a bad thing in my opinion

Yeah, the Duramaxes are powerful, but it's clearly not all about power.
It's about what you trust.
I just don't trust them.
Though, I do wish the Allison was used by Dodge instead.

OT said:
Though, I do wish the Allison was used by Dodge instead.
I dunno. My brother works for a big construction outfit. He is the repair shop foreman. They have had all the big three brands in Diesel trucks and he hated the Allisons. They were constantly giving them electrical trouble.

I had heard that the newer 6.7L dodges were to have an AISIN 6-speed auto but no idea how true that is. It would be nice though! Because we all know the best thing Chrysler did for the XJ was NOT put a Chrysler auto trans in it :).

Not to piss anyone off at all, but I saw a sticker on a chevy the other day that read "Fords are like tampons, every pussy needs one" LOL I personally am undecided, but have always been a Duramax fan. The Dodge Power Wagons are pretty cool also.

chelms27 said:
Not to piss anyone off at all, but I saw a sticker on a chevy the other day that read "Fords are like tampons, every pussy needs one" LOL I personally am undecided, but have always been a Duramax fan. The Dodge Power Wagons are pretty cool also.
I have seen that sticker with Ford replaced with Toyota, Jeep, Dodge Chevy and just about every other make of vehicle too.

im actually looking at a 2004 Dodge 3500 4X4 6 spd std crew cab dually, with cummins for $32000 CND. havnt decided yet.

jeepdude10000 said:
im actually looking at a 2004 Dodge 3500 4X4 6 spd std crew cab dually, with cummins for $32000 CND. havnt decided yet.
Hahaha...Thats what I paid for my brand new 05...american dollars.

Don't you have some other thread to be posting in?

DrMoab said:
Don't you have some other thread to be posting in?

ya but i have to let others post in the mill thread also!:geek:

Really, I paid $26 for mine with 25,000 on the ticker.
It's a measly 2500 4x4 crew cab. Too bad for yooohoo.:(

Better check on that '04, as some weren't HO600s, midway through the year is when they went to the HO standard I think I've read.

DrMoab said:
Come on all you Ford guys? Where is the love? :D

I have a 1986 F-250.

I abused it in high school, then my brother did the same, then it went to our family factory for 10 years of neglect and abuse. It was stolen twice and buried in mud bogs in orchards.

I hunted quail in it on Friday, took two loads to the dump on Saturday, and I drove it to work this morning.

The old turbocharged 6.9 starts every time, makes 240 HP and 450 ft/lbs, and gets 18 MPG on the highway with 35 inch tires.

Oh, and the payments are affordable. :D

CRASH said:
I have a 1986 F-250.

I abused it in high school, then my brother did the same, then it went to our family factory for 10 years of neglect and abuse. It was stolen twice and buried in mud bogs in orchards.

I hunted quail in it on Friday, took two loads to the dump on Saturday, and I drove it to work this morning.

The old turbocharged 6.9 starts every time, makes 240 HP and 450 ft/lbs, and gets 18 MPG on the highway with 35 inch tires.

Crash,
I have an 86 6.9 w/th 69,000 original miles on the clock. I'm thinking of fixing it up to pull my jeep/boat. What trans, gears and mods does yours have? Ours has 4.10's w/th the 4speed so it's pretty slow :)

CRASH said:
I have a 1986 F-250.

That may be the case, I have a buddy with a 1988 2wd F-150 (with just over 200K) and we beat the snot outa it. However, I'll be any amount of money that if we tried to do half the stuff we do to that truck to a newer Ford (or any newer truck for that matter) it would go crying to the junkyard. They don't build anything like they used to.

clint said:
Crash,
I have an 86 6.9 w/th 69,000 original miles on the clock. I'm thinking of fixing it up to pull my jeep/boat. What trans, gears and mods does yours have? Ours has 4.10's w/th the 4speed so it's pretty slow :)

I have 4.10's and a 4 spd with 35's. 2,500 RPM at 65 MPH.

The peak HP on a 6.9 is right at 3,100, don't be afraid to rev it.

You won't set any land speed records, but you'll get there. These rigs were rated to tow 12,000 pounds with 4.10/4 spd. Do yourself a favor and get a Hypermax turbo set up. They are cheap, and really make a huge difference. My rig has had one on for 125,000 miles with no issues. It gives you about 75 HP and 100 ft lbs.

Back