• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$11 Bastard Leaf Pack Writeup. *Tons of pics*

Looks like he's getting ready to head "back to the future"!

Help a noob!

I have been gathering parts for a lift since I noticed my left rear springs going flat. Yesterday I noticed they started inverting. Am I going to need to get a new main spring, or can I mate the S10 leaves be mated up without a problem? I just bought it, so I don't know it's history as far as loads or towing it's been subjected to. Thanks.

Re: Help a noob!

XJ Jammer said:
I have been gathering parts for a lift since I noticed my left rear springs going flat. Yesterday I noticed they started inverting. Am I going to need to get a new main spring, or can I mate the S10 leaves be mated up without a problem? I just bought it, so I don't know it's history as far as loads or towing it's been subjected to. Thanks.
It probably wouldn't hurt to purchase some used stock leaves that still have plenty of arch in 'em.

I am in the same boat, 87 XJ with flat leaves and blocks underneath, and a set of S10 leaves waiting to go in.

However, I dont want to go through the headache with removing the bushing bolts just yet. So I guess it just depends on how much time/work you want to put into it.

This post is great!!! So can I go 3" lift with out having to change the trackbar, shafts etc? and with the bastard pack for a 3" lift I use the middle 2 and the overload? What I want to do is get 3" coils, 2wd s-10 pack, and make it work....... This post is great!!! but I have read it and that is my understanding am I right? If I go up to 4.5" and have an SYE on my t-case will I need the t-case drop still? or am I good. Thanks a million!

Funrover said:
This post is great!!! So can I go 3" lift with out having to change the trackbar, shafts etc?
An adjustable track bar is a good idea, but you can re-center your axle by re-drilling the axle side mount. Driveshafts will be fine, of course if you get a SYE, you will need a new rear CV shaft (you may be able to use a stock front shaft).

Funrover said:
and with the bastard pack for a 3" lift I use the middle 2 and the overload? What I want to do is get 3" coils, 2wd s-10 pack, and make it work.......
Since all used spring packs are a little different, you may have to experiment some to get exactly 3", but that would be a good start. In front you may also need to shim the LCAs to adjust your pinion angle (if you don't get new ones).

Funrover said:
If I go up to 4.5" and have an SYE on my t-case will I need the t-case drop still? or am I good.
You don't need the drop with a SYE, the drop is simply a band-aid fix for not having a SYE and CV shaft.

the drop will take care of it tho. i wouldn't get an SYE unless you wheel really hard at 3 inches.

lancey3 said:
the drop will take care of it tho. i wouldn't get an SYE unless you wheel really hard at 3 inches.
Or get vibes, every XJ is different. The newer ones are more likely to need a SYE, even at 3".

true. my 98 with a 1 in drop has no vibes. and its sitten a bit above three inches.

Hey guys. I posted a while back in this thread (maybe page 11?) that I had this write up in MS Word format and that I'd email it, but I found that file was too large so I converted it to PDF and can email that with no problems. What would really be great though is if I could email it to someone who could host it online. It's not that I mind sending it out, but unfortunately I had to sell my XJ on Sunday and I won't be logging on very much for several years until I get another one so I won't get the requests that people send me. Any takers?

And for what it's worth, I did this type of lift this summer using the top 2 leaves from a stock XJ pack. It turned out fantastic, much better than I could have ever imagined. My leaves still had arch to them and so did the ones I used, so I'm sure that helped out in the 3 inches that I gained. It rides great, firm, but not harsh at all. It feels very much like my wife's 98 Explorer. My bro-in-law used a Rusty's 3.5" lift and his feels so bouncy, if you hit a bump in the road it feels like you'll just hop on down the road. Mine rides like a truck. Not only that, but because mine is such a beefy pack it doesn't sag at all as opposed to his when loaded down or towing a trailer. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Take care friends.

RyanM said:
what haaaappppennd

I was having some issues keeping my pinion nut on I guess. The pinion fell into my Detroit. :shhh:

I got it all fixed and wheeled the next day too, no worries.

Here's my buddy's Xjuggy i'm working on right now. The rear packs are flipped bastard leafs with a mix of Rusty's 303 packs, waggy packs, and stock XJ packs. One leaf from each for a 3 leaf setup. The front end is sitting on Waggy 7 leaf packs. It's gonna be quite flexy.

IMG_1207Medium.jpg

Timmay said:
I was having some issues keeping my pinion nut on I guess. The pinion fell into my Detroit. :shhh:

I got it all fixed and wheeled the next day too, no worries.

same thing happened to me. Scarred the detroit up a bit, it functioned fine for another year, before the ring gear disintegrated.

I have a few pictures from my Dak Pak Install

Since Timmay lost his with a server crash I will post up mine... they are more just pictures that I took... I was not planning on doing a write up but they can help.

Before

before.jpg

Here are some of the springs

XJ_vs_Dakota_small.JPG

XJ_vs_Dakota_arches_small.JPG

AxleBackInPlace_small.JPG

Big Pix

http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/DakPack/XJ_vs_Dakota_arches.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/DakPack/XJ_vs_Dakota.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/DakPack/AxleBackInPlace.jpg

XJ Main
AAL from my lift
Dak second leaf
Dak Over load....

The first attempt was not as tall as I wanted as well as it was very easy to bottom out on the overload. The end result was less than I would have liked.

After.JPG

After having things not as tall as I wanted I went all in... A.K.A. All XJ, All Dak Pak and the AAL.. .Needless to say it was stiff as a brick and flexed like one. However, ...It did look good...

newtires.JPG

After going all in I liked the look and hated the ride. I pulled out the Dak overload and a couple of the stiffer springs for a set of longer springs that was less stiff. At the same time I added a 1.5 inch block. I know that they are not good, but for short lift hieghts I believe they have a small role.

I currently have a 1.5 inch block and a 5 spring pack. It clearly is a truck style of ride, Not Stock but not bad either.

XJ Main
RE AAL
Dak Pak leaf
Dak Pak Leaf
XJ overload

This got me some OK flex and a much better ride.
flexn_Oct2005.JPG

flexn_Oct2005_2.jPG

Here is the standard ride hieght as it now sits.

P9040009.JPG

Last edited:
Great thanks for the pics. I'm still waiting for the PDF from 4doors but when I get it i'll be sure to send it out to all those who requested it already.

JAS said:
I have a few pictures from my Dak Pak Install

Since Timmay lost his with a server crash I will post up mine... they are more just pictures that I took... I was not planning on doing a write up but they can help.
Thanks for the pics.

Back