• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$11 Bastard Leaf Pack Writeup. *Tons of pics*

TRAILREADYXJ said:
If you want that much, you will run into the same problem I did going for 6.5". (read link for problems)

I ended up with more like 7" doing this, and the ride and flex is better than most lift packs. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901160

Best of all... it's still a bastard!

alrighty, so now that I've had time to read and re-read what's been posted... I realize that while I'm not getting in over my head I've definately bitten off quite a mouthful. How difficult was it to fab up those new mounts? Looks like 3/8th's plate with a simple design and a bandsaw/welder could have that accomplished no? am I right in understanding that you had to shim your axle from the front bringing the pinion down when using those f150 leaves? Doesn't really apply to me as I have to weld perches on to my 8.8 anyway. I know it's going to be hit and miss, but do you think between an f150 pack and my stock leaves I'd be able to attain my goal of 7.5"? Actually come to think of it, my stock leaves are pretty flat and saggy and prolly wouldn't help lift, might actually pull down. Leaf packs are $25 each side here so even at $100 for four f150's if it gets me my desired lift I'm laughing.

Fabbing the plates wasn't hard, I used 1/4" plate and some box tubing cut open. Welding to the thin stock shackle box is the trickiest part, especially if you used 3/8".

Normally if you use the F150 main leaf, the axle will be too far back. My spring perches have 3 holes, I used the rear hole, moving the axle forward. This also requires drilling a hole in the spring plate to accommodate the off set centering pin. In the future, I plan on extending the wheel base some, so my setup is more or less temporary as far as the off sets and shims. I'm still very happy with the ride and flex, so the springs will stay for a while.

I did have to shim a lot, and actually had to make custom shims with an offset hole. If your welding perches this isn't a problem. I will say that I don't have a SYE!! so it may not need too much adjustment if you have a SYE. (note: my Jeep isn't a DD, but with a ~1" t-case drop, "clearanced" slip yolk, proper angles, and a D35 DS with a 8.25, Doesn't have vibes till over 60MPH and no binding!).

Keep in mind you CAN do this mod using a stock main leaf bastard pack. You will just end up moving the shackle mount forward instead of back to get the proper shackle angle. I just figured I'd go with longer leaves for a better ride, and it was worth it!

I measured mine @ 7", but that was unloaded, and before the swing away bumper, now closer to 6.5". I feel that I could easily add another leaf to get 7.5", but I am as high as I want to go, I'd be more likely to lower it some and save COG.

yah I actually had another thought last night as I was falling asleep. While I'd like to go big (and who doesn't) My rig already has procomp lca's and I'm not sure to what height they are most effective. Prolly around the 4.5-5.5" range I'd assume? So I'm rethinking my setup. It cost alot more to go just a little higher in this game of inches and at 5.5 I should be able to run 33-35's with the right amount of trimming.

a buddy of mine who first got me into jeeps and got mhinking about using diffrent leafs told me when he bought his jeep it had 5-5.5" lift rear with just full size dodge springs anyone herd of this or done it im not talking about dotas or anything he said it was a full size any thought would be appreciated im looking to build one with bout 5" to match and beat his lol any advice would be appreciated thanks
drew

also i read a couple post back about a zr-2 leaf springs with stock 3" lift will they work and add on top of what you gain with the blazer leafes. what will the current aal do if added in the appropriate place under the next biggest leaf like when installed just wondering just picked up a budget build xj so planing in proccess

Gil BullyKatz said:
This much...

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

Those are 33's...
what did u do to even the lift out in the front, what size of coils

a few questions here, which may have been answered in this thread but do not want to go through 13 pages to find them. first of all, can you simply replace the rear leaf's with the blazer's? if so, how much lift would you get? 2. what is the maximum amount of lift that i can go without having to replace things like brake lines and dropping my transfer case? 3. is there any possible way to get just 3" or about that? and finally. #4, can this be done with xj rear leaf's as well? or do they need to be s10? thanks. im not that mechanically inclined so any help would be appreciated.

don't know about full on replacement, you'd have to measure eye-to-eye length. Even if they are the same or close to, can't guarantee any lift that way as it's stock pack to stock pack

every jeep is different. Some only get 2" before getting vibes, others have gone 4.5" with no vibes. rule of thumb is good up to 3, higher than that and you'll at least want to put a set of shims in the rear to get the pinion pointed slightly up.

of course you can get just 3", but it's going to be trial and error with mixing and matching leafs to get there.

reason people are using s10/dakota packs for bastards is because of their high arc. you prolly could use more xj leaves, but it's going to end up being one really stiff ride.

hope this helps.

I realize "stiff" can be many things. So how stiff are the S-10 packs compared to:

XJ bastard packs ?
RE 3.5" packs ?

I am lifting this weekend and S10 packs are WAAAAAAAAAY cheaper to get my hands on than XJ packs.

mikegronholz said:
I realize "stiff" can be many things. So how stiff are the S-10 packs compared to:

XJ bastard packs ?
RE 3.5" packs ?

I am lifting this weekend and S10 packs are WAAAAAAAAAY cheaper to get my hands on than XJ packs.

XJ leafs are barley going to net you anything, and it wont be likely that you will find ones in good enough shape and have much arc to them. It will probably only lift the thickness of the spring pack.
The s10 springs are great and run at least one full length, you can mix & match the leafs below that, but you at least need one supporting that XJ main.
New leafs are obviously the best choice but its not in everyones budget and some people just don't feel like taking the old ones off because of the rust etc.

MrShaft696 said:
XJ leafs are barley going to net you anything, and it wont be likely that you will find ones in good enough shape and have much arc to them. It will probably only lift the thickness of the spring pack.
The s10 springs are great and run at least one full length, you can mix & match the leafs below that, but you at least need one supporting that XJ main.
New leafs are obviously the best choice but its not in everyones budget and some people just don't feel like taking the old ones off because of the rust etc.

I'm more looking for a comparo ... i have ridden on the XJ bastards at 2" of lift and the RE 3.5" springs. so i know how they feel. Neither is in my definition of stiff ... more "pleasantly firm". So wondering how the S10s stack up stiffness wise. And when I said XJ packs costing more ... i was talking new XJ lift packs vs. building a bastard.

MrShaft696 said:
XJ leafs are barley going to net you anything, and it wont be likely that you will find ones in good enough shape and have much arc to them. It will probably only lift the thickness of the spring pack...
not true. i added the top 2 leafs from my old somewhat saggish leaf pack off of my green xj and added to my white xj's pack and got about 3" of lift.

I'm going to search my computer at home to try and find the pics. I haven't looked in a while though.

FWIW, my packs are still exactly the same as they were. They work great so I don't really want to change them. I'm going to change to a MJ main leaf for some more length and a relocated shackle. Should allow it to flex "easier".

This is how it sits with 3" rough country coils and 2" spacers up front, and the S10 pack, a 1" block, and a 5/8" shackle in the rear. The fullwidth axles also add about 1/2" of lift due to the tube diameter. I love this stance with my 36s.

IMG_0733Large.jpg

IMG_0731Large.jpg

IMG_0658Large.jpg

IMG_0604Large.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

They don't flex too bad right now either. :)

IMG_1213.jpg

Back