• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/4 tank of gas xj dies

landscaper

NAXJA Forum User
When the jeep has about a 1/4 tank of gas and go around a curve or stop and turn and then accelerate it dies . With a full tank of gas it does fine. no problems what could be the problem is there somthing in the tank that might have come apart ?

TheBlackSheep said:
maybe you gauge is wrong? and at 1/4 you really have none, i had that for a while and you just learn to adjust to that
There are 2 tanks for the xj a 11 and a 19 gallon one. (That may be wrong but its close to those figures.) Sounds like your gauge and tank are not the same.

One of my rigs is like that except it doesn't die it just boggs down. I keep more gas in it.

I think it has something to do with the baffles inside the tank.

You failed to mention what year your XJ is. The 97+ models are notorious for this.

landscaper said:
Why? Its a 98 model

Poor design really. Do a search on here and you'll see tons of threads as to why....something about the pick up being in a bad spot in the tank.

If I recall correctly, the 97's were recalled for the problem, however the 98-01's, which have the same freakin design and same freakin parts, were not.

My '98 did really bad on left turns.

you could also have a few gals of water in the tank, from condensation
or cheap gas stations , i learned this the hard way. i was using hess gas religously
for about a yr and had this exact problem.

I'm heading up to the lake fri and sat. Let me know if you need some help. Or if he wants me to bring them up to you instead of shipping. Just let me know
Jeremy

Back