• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#$@)(*#@$ POS Oakley's

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so I've had a set of Oakley Jackets for a while now. About 2.5 years ago the coating on the frame bubbled and popped and started flaking exposing in the process the actual frame. So I called their service number, paid them $50 or so and they replaced them for me (I was out of warranty). Anyways, I considered that to be a one of a kind problem as I've never had good shades bubble up and blister and peel on me.

And now.... about 2.5 years later it's doing the same thing!! This is pissing me off big time! I called Oakley and they explained to me very politely that the model that I have has been discontinued and they no longer have parts for them. They are not even willing to offer me a discount on a new pair? To me this is clearly a problem in materials/manufacturing process as both pairs have suffered from an identical failure after just over 2 years..... I told them that I want to buy another set but I was wondering if they could offer me any sort of a discount. Their response was stunning: "I understand where you're coming from sir, but there is nothing we can do for you. Bye".
I must say that that's not a response I was expecting.

...and that is why I like my $10 cheapo shades from Wal-Mart. I wear them almost every day too.

Haleyes said:
...and that is why I like my $10 cheapo shades from Wal-Mart. I wear them almost every day too.
Well I was like that too till I got my Oakleys (got them as a gift) and I must say that I was pleasantly suprised with them and will probably replace them with another pair.... and just hope they don't peel like that (I acutally now know what is that coating called and supposedly not all their models are covered with it).

Expensive sunglasses aren't worth it. Find the right $5 - 15 sunglasses and you will not be disapointed. I know of a few liquor stores that have good cheapies.

Yes, I've had expensive ones before (never actually bought them, gifts and stuff).

Bans, RayBans, aviator with wrap around spring retainers, other than that gargoyles for the occasional firefight, the lense deflects bullet fragments pretty well... HOWEVER I was tempted to get the okleys with the built in bluetooth, too bad [or good] they were too small for my big head...
My current black aviator larges are about 10 years old... almost forgot wileyX's they make some killer good ones too :D

Last edited:
I go with the cheap or Inexpensive sunglasses - No more that $25. I have had several pairs of Oakleys and they break because i guess my head is, how would you say, not a natural size :cheers:

Oakley has been very good to me over the years. Never paid to have broken ones repaired, lenses replaced, etc.

That said, I went with Spy for my current pair and am very happy with them also.

I've been through the cheapies also and have never had a pair I liked. I love the Oakleys and Spy though.

Dirk Pitt said:
Oakley has been very good to me over the years. Never paid to have broken ones repaired, lenses replaced, etc.
How did you do it? Did you deal with the service center @ Foothill Ranch or did you go to your local O store?

Kejtar said:
How did you do it? Did you deal with the service center @ Foothill Ranch or did you go to your local O store?

It's been a few years since I've made a claim.

Seems like I got a number off their website, called, and paid to ship the glasses to them and got them back in a week or so.

I've never made a claim on discontinued items though.

the nice thing about oakleys in my experience compared to cheap shades is that if you drop a pair of Oakleys, you're not as worried about them scratching, because they most likely won't get scratched.

while the cheap shades? yeah, they'll pick up some "oops!" marks rather quick.

had a pair of mumboes (?sp) way back when they were in style. broke them playing baseball 3 times. not questions asked replacements every time.

i switched to el cheapo five dollah ones but my eye doctor reccomended me to stop using them cause the optics can hurt your eye sight.

i recently got a pair of maui jim's and absolutely love them

Dirk Pitt said:
It's been a few years since I've made a claim.

Seems like I got a number off their website, called, and paid to ship the glasses to them and got them back in a week or so.

I've never made a claim on discontinued items though.
Well the first time I paid they weren't discontinued but they were out of warranty. I wonder if with growth their customer service didn't go down as they no longer need to "fight" for business and they're riding more on reputation and popularity now..... well.. I guess that's a price one has to pay for growing?

Hmm - I've had two pair of Gargoyle Classics (Lunar Grey and clear) for about 18 years no, no trouble.

Yes, I normally wear glasses. However, the Gargoyles work well when I'm wearing contact lenses (say, formals, paintball, and the like) and when I need a little extra protection out in the shop (with a prescription lens adapter.)

It's amazing what I've put them through - and all I really have to do it touch them up with some optical polish about once a year. I can live with that.

5-90

You need some of those Oakleys like Dog the bounty hunter wears, with an mp3 player or something, that fits in his ears.

I remember I bought new sunglasses on the 4th of July last year and I lost them at this fireworks show. I actually went back to go try and find them, and I actually did. They looked a little trampled, but the lenses weren't cracked. Best pair I've ever had, still wear 'em today. $5 too! Go for the cheap. (Oakley's are overrated, like a lot of expensive things) :p

I'm going to argue that cheap glasses are.......cheap. They do not do the same things as more expensive glasses (be it Oakley, Smith, Bolle, or whatever). Back when I was road racing and mountain bike racing, good eye protection was just as important as a good helmet. Not only do they filter out more harmful sunrays but the protection they give the eye from foreign objects is better as well. When I was at the top of my game I was riding 300 miles a week. I never wanted to trust my eyes to some liquor store shades.

I wear the polarized straight jackets now when I'm on the water. I've had cheap polarized glasses and I can sight cast to elusive trout much easier with a good pair of shades. My eyeglasses are the wiretap frame. Both are more comfortable than cheaper glasses I've used. You get what you pay for.

Kejtar, I worked in a shop for 12 years. I have spoken with anyone in that industry in quite a while. Let me do some hunting and see if I can come up with a name/# for you to try. The reps I used to deal with would definitely not be OK with your situation.

-river

Remi,

You are retarded thinking that glasses should last more than 2.5 years.

Get a new pair annually and I will get you them at cost

Anyways, they are supposed to fasionable so they don't anticipate them to last that long. 5-90 scares me :shocked: that he is totally 80s when he wears those things :D

Remi it could be your particular sweat which is infact dependant on you substance intake. Wasn't it 5 years ago you went to a protein diet?

Last edited:
I totally disagree with the scrimping on sunglasses thing... they are your eyes ... dont scrimp..
If your poor well cheap is better then nothing..
If you can afford it get some good glasses do....
$5 sunglasses are not optics... they are trash use them only if you have to..

If you are the type to loose them alot, well stick with the low budget...

Gargoyles are great tactical optics but most are butt ugly

Oakleys, Have have a few pairs of oakleys before and i dont know .. oakley is a wierd company and i am suprised that they did anything to help you at all before. Not suprised that they didnt help you this time but shocked that they would hang up on you I read your post right.

WileyX's are very cool although the mirroring gets scraped easily, but i love the goggle gasket seal, thats cool.

Revos are great but pricey

Ray bans are great too

I am currently wearing RayBans with contacts or RX WileyXs with glasses

The thing about sunglasses is that they are very similar to jeans, when you find a pair that you really really like and they fit you well and have the right color lenses then get two pairs...... of course i have never dont that but i might with the current pair of regular glasses i have....

blah blah
-Aaron

cracker said:
Remi,

You are retarded thinking that glasses should last more than 2.5 years.

Get a new pair annually and I will get you them at cost

Anyways, they are supposed to fasionable so they don't anticipate them to last that long. 5-90 scares me :shocked: that he is totally 80s when he wears those things :D

Remi it could be your particular sweat which is infact dependant on you substance intake. Wasn't it 5 years ago you went to a protein diet?

What can I say? I'm no slave to fashion - and I've set a few, rather than followed any. I didn't set them to be different, tho - I set them because I wore what worked.

Dickies & Ben Davis? No thanks - most of the people I see wearing those don't have calluses on their hands to match. I still wear BDU's in blue or black - they fit, give me room to move, and have loops wide enough for my Rigger's Belt.

Doc Martens? Caterpillar boots? Nah - Hi-Tec Magnum Side Zip CT. The composite toe cup works a lot better than a cap, and I don't have to worry so much about electric shock (which is an issue for me at times.) I can't use the side zip (my feet are a little out of scale with my ankles now...) but I have a hard time finding composite toes without them. For the laces, I use 7' bits of shroud line - best bootlace ever made!

Shirts? You've probably seen a few pictures of me by now (check the "Day on the Farm" threads.) That's what I look like pretty much every day - BDU pants, boots, short-sleeve cotton button-up shirt. If I'm outside, I've probably got a black or blue patrol cap on - I get them for about $6 each, so I don't feel bad when they get wrecked (and I can buy several at a time. Size 7-3/8, please.)

I am not now and have never been a slave to fashion. I just don't give a damn about most of it, and don't understand the rest.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so hideous that it must be changed every six months." Funny, I've been saying that for over 20 years...

5-90

Back