• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed By Spectre

How tight is the seal where the two halves meet at the filter? Hate to get water sucked through that

I don't like the rigidity of the mount. Enough torque and vibes and the halves will wiggle apart.

My homebrew setup has a second air hose (for the evac cannister I think? I don't remember!) because that's how the stock 91 airbox was setup.

Are they going to replace the welded sections with bent tubing at some point?

I do like their mounting plate at the firewall.

How tight is the seal where the two halves meet at the filter? Hate to get water sucked through that

It is a T-Bolt clamp, and has a rubber gasket under it. Mine is nice and tight.

I don't like the rigidity of the mount. Enough torque and vibes and the halves will wiggle apart.

I think that is what the "Hump" boot is all about. Not a concern of Mine, I run JeeperJohn Fabwerkz Motor Mounts.
If You do not tighten the T-Bolt Clamp enough, it could wiggle loose. I tightened Mine.
4680196623_170db1fc21_b.jpg

Are they going to replace the welded sections with bent tubing at some point?
I do like their mounting plate at the firewall.

Not that I know of, if so I'm Glad I got Mine Now.

I think that is what the "Hump" boot is all about. Not a concern of Mine, I run JeeperJohn Fabwerkz Motor Mounts.
If You do not tighten the T-Bolt Clamp enough, it could wiggle loose. I tightened Mine.

exactly. t-bolt clamps are just about the strongest clamp you can get. they use them on turbo setups. if they hold up to forced induction I think they can handle whatever the XJ is gunna throw at em :D You are 100% correct Paul, the bulge in the boot is to absorb vibration.

Looks like the filter area is small, too. So it's a choice between effectiveness and flow.

I have been considering this intake but have concerns about the flow as well. The filter used in this kit is spectre p/n 889833. It isnt listed in the details, but I emailed Spectre Performance and was told that it tested at 500 CFM. Some aftermarket filters test at 1600CFM, but they are much larger cones. Does anyone know what a stock paper filter is rated at for CFM?

and on a side note... Spectre Performance tech support is really on the ball for responding back to emails... they're policy is "emails received during normal business hours will be answered the same day. Inquiries received after 4:30 on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday (including major holidays) will be answered on the next business day."

The stock airbox and air filter (flows 370cfm @ 1.5inHg)

I have been running it since March. No complaints.

The 9945 part is the renix version of it. 9948 is the part # on the box I got mine in, but it doesn't look like that and neither did the pic on the box. Maybe they screwed up with the pic, a phone call could clear it up.

9945 is accurate int he picture.

9948 is not accurate in the picture.

i believe they are the only ones who sell a carb legal intake kit for the renix. as soon as edison and rent get out of my way i will have one.

Spectre Rebate...

hey there... I ordered the Spectre 9948 Intake Kit this week. If anyone is really considering this product, it is a great time to buy it... In the end it will cost me $119.

The kit is on at http://www.autoanything.com/ for $199 with free shipping in the U.S. If you go to the following link you can save 15% with a coupon code... http://www.dealigg.com/story-AutoAnything-Coupons-AutoAnything-Coupon-Code and to boot... if you order before Oct 31, 2011... Spectre has a $50 rebate.

I would think twice about this product.

I am unimpressed with mine. I took it out offroad for the first time this weekend and the tubes kept seperating at the main clamp where the air filter is. Did it twice. Piece of smogable crap. lastara

are your motor mounts in good shape? that sounds like a lot of movement to pull them apart.

I can get you some turbo style clamps through work that might help you hold it together if you're interested.

Back