• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed By Spectre

I got mine installed, and I'm more or less happy with it, BUT, around 2000-2500 rpms under load it whistles really loud and its pretty annoying. Anyone else having any whistle issues? Oh, and I got my rebate, a crisp $50 bill.

YES.....I tow either a boat or ATV trailer every weekend and it has gotten on my nerves already. It is very mild mannered without a trailer though.

My buddies and I have been discussing some possible fixes....first thing we are going to try is making an aluminum baffle to see if it will muffle the sound some...

It's using the air box right in front of You a plenum. If it bothers You that much I would insulate that box from the cabin. But the intake will still be right in front of thr wind shield. Mine makes the same noise, the webers on my porsche made more noise. My tow vehicle made a lot of intake noise, I put this on from spectre and I can't hear it any longer, but the intakes are right at the front, and would be right in the mud and water on my Jeep. To me it was a very small price to have the intake so high and protected.

408640_2878985943960_1539361089_32896318_1463394387_n.jpg

Well now that I know this is somewhat normal and I'm not the only one with the issue makes me feel better about it. Boncrshr, let us know how you baffles work out.

Well now that I know this is somewhat normal and I'm not the only one with the issue makes me feel better about it. Boncrshr, let us know how you baffles work out.

Don't worry, I am not thrilled with mine either.

Don't worry, I am not thrilled with mine either.

And I understand that, I wonder if by adding a longer boot at the firewall, You couldn't take care of that problem. You know, the boot that looks like a bellows that is supposed to allow for some movement. That way when the engine torques it won't keep popping Your filter section open. It might be worth a try, not sure where You'd get it, I bet Mike would know. Maybe call spectre, speak with Guy Smith /Tech support-R&D-Engineering
909-673-9800 Ext.324
[email protected]
Monday-Thursday 6:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. PST.

They may have a fix, or maybe send You that boot. Good luck

And I understand that, I wonder if by adding a longer boot at the firewall, You couldn't take care of that problem. You know, the boot that looks like a bellows that is supposed to allow for some movement. That way when the engine torques it won't keep popping Your filter section open. It might be worth a try, not sure where You'd get it, I bet Mike would know. Maybe call spectre, speak with Guy Smith /Tech support-R&D-Engineering
909-673-9800 Ext.324
[email protected]
Monday-Thursday 6:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. PST.

They may have a fix, or maybe send You that boot. Good luck

Thanks Paul,

My new Brown Dog motor mounts seem to be doing the trick for now. If they loosen up at all I may run into the issue again. I will see how it goes and play it by ear.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so has there been any issues, from driving in the rain, or hitting any big mud puddles( Water getting into the vents in the cowl ). This looks like a great product, minus the few issues you guys have had.

I have had no water issues but we don't get much water here.

water can enter the left (drivers side) but the right (passenger) side where the inlet ends up is not open through the cowl. unless it was submerged or there was enough water to overload the drainage holes in the cowl it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm usually in the high desert wheeling. Not too much dust, But I do love mud holes and there are plenty of them up in Boulevard

water can enter the left (drivers side) but the right (passenger) side where the inlet ends up is not open through the cowl. unless it was submerged or there was enough water to overload the drainage holes in the cowl it wouldn't be an issue.

X2

HA !! toady is the most rain we've had in the Low Des. in the past... 6 or 8 months....

Curt

CARB number is supposed to be in the works. I was told it was at the lab, the first of the year. I'm waiting too.

bump
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9948

looking into the kit, but their website says not CARB exempt for the 91-01 setup. did something change or am I confused?

My bad, i was thinking it had one.Sorry. But this would help you do what you wanted to do to the inner fenders. I would say go for it and don't look back, you can always find a way to remount the stock air box if needed.

Again i am sorry.But this is why i gave you the link.I don't run this setup in my heep, just a cold air.:cheers:

My bad, i was thinking it had one.Sorry. But this would help you do what you wanted to do to the inner fenders. I would say go for it and don't look back, you can always find a way to remount the stock air box if needed.

Again i am sorry.But this is why i gave you the link.I don't run this setup in my heep, just a cold air.:cheers:

no worries. I will just keep the stock airbox around and ziptie it in place for smog.

I forgot to share....only three trips out and this happened:

2012-06-24_10-20-02_238.jpg

I am not certain a prefilter will be effective as small as this thing is and how clogged it got but it appears that it has to be cleaned and re-oiled each trip until I can figure out a better option....

Back