• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed By Spectre

I would think twice about this product.

I am unimpressed with mine. I took it out offroad for the first time this weekend and the tubes kept seperating at the main clamp where the air filter is. Did it twice. Piece of smogable crap. lastara
I see the problem here. YOU offroad it.Now the MALL crawler don't have this problem, so it must be you.:)

are your motor mounts in good shape? that sounds like a lot of movement to pull them apart.

I can get you some turbo style clamps through work that might help you hold it together if you're interested.

The motor mounts are 'ok' but with with big tires (37s) and a 4:1 transfer case the drivetrain DOES move. I will probably have to look at a BrownDog motor mount and engine bracket set up as one of the final mods. I actually have two trans mounts set up (one poly and one OEM/rubber) and it holds the back end in place well.

The kit actually comes with a 'turbo-style' clamp. I *really* cranked it down and it still split apart. :doh:

2011-09-05_20-22-44_642.jpg

Mine is a 96, the design for the later models would be pushed together, where Yours is being pulled apart with the engine torquing over. I do have after market mounts that limit the movement to almost nothing. Mounts may be the ticket.

Spectre-write-up-pics-020.jpg

I have a stroker, big tires, low TC, low gears and a traction bar. When I lay into the gas in 4 low I know the drivetrain twists up under power and what not. I find it odd in my mind 'I need to buy motor mounts to fix my air intake problem.'

Seems that it should have been designed better.....just saying.

The chrome is lastara as hell too.

I have a stroker, big tires, low TC, low gears and a traction bar. When I lay into the gas in 4 low I know the drivetrain twists up under power and what not. I find it odd in my mind 'I need to buy motor mounts to fix my air intake problem.'

Seems that it should have been designed better.....just saying.

The chrome is lastara as hell too.

Now you know what i mean by mall crawlers.Mine is a mall crawler to yours.Just saying.Your jeep is a monster, very nice looking rig.

Now you know what i mean by mall crawlers.Mine is a mall crawler to yours.Just saying.Your jeep is a monster, very nice looking rig.

thanks!

i would and will when i get one for my renix boot that connection with charge air cooler hose and clamp to make sure it doesnt come loose and also probably sent it out to powder coat lol polished sucks

Avery, try spraying hair spray on the boot and the pipe before you put it together, it will make it stick together better. learned that trick from a buddy who builds turbo hondas.

Avery, try spraying hair spray on the boot and the pipe before you put it together, it will make it stick together better. learned that trick from a buddy who builds turbo hondas.

:thumbup: I will try that. Thanks

My intake arrived today... woohoo!
I can't wait to get it installed so I can add the second battery I have had waiting to go in. now to send that rebate in and get some cash back... i'm sure i'll spend it on the XJ anyhow.

I just installed mine yesterday on my 2000 XJ...I really like it, however; I did run into hood clearance issues due to my throttle body spacer. To fix it, I cut the adapter that slips over the throttle body down by about 2/3...which allowed the tubing to slip over and sit further down on my throttle body.

Sounds crazy at WOT! Oh yeah, 149+no tax+free shipping from Summit...total score.

I just installed mine yesterday on my 2000 XJ...I really like it, however; I did run into hood clearance issues due to my throttle body spacer. To fix it, I cut the adapter that slips over the throttle body down by about 2/3...which allowed the tubing to slip over and sit further down on my throttle body.

Sounds crazy at WOT! Oh yeah, 149+no tax+free shipping from Summit...total score.

????:confused: Can You post pic's, Sir. The curiosity will kill Me. Is it possible that You may have gotten the two boots mixed up, the one at the throttle body has Spectre's name on it? There was another thread done on this intake, that Fella had the same problem and even posted the pic's of it done wrong. (I don't know (shaking head)

I will try to later today...as far as correctly installed, absolutely sure it is right. My aftermarket throttle body spacer seemed to be the culprit.

Aaahh, Improvise, Adapt, Overcome. :)

Back