• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ fan clutch

You guys are making way too much of the noise and mileage drop. I dont even notice mine, it helps mask some of the other noises (like the unibody screaming for mercy)

Thanks... I'm not that worried about the noise per-say... but I did remove the SPECTRE intake I had on my rig because it was just too much interior cabin noise for me and go back to the OE piece.

I also have hood vents to help dissipate the heat on my '01 and a nice 2-core aluminum radiator. Just anything else to help in the 100+ degree summer weather is a plus for me.

As for the ZJ clutch not fitting, did you snap the death knives off the front?

If this is for me... then no I did not. I'm not sure that it would've made a difference for me w/the thicker radiator in my case. I'm going to try again and just loosen the top of the radiator and tip it out as I've read a few others who've had to do that to get the ZJ clutch to fit.

There are three little death knives protruding from the face of the clutch, grab them at the base, and snap them off, much less likely to trash your rad

Just got the Napa 272310 HD clutch installed. I had to loosen the radiator support and rotate it forward to make room, but it's in & all back together. As for the noise, it's hardly noticeable to me. So far so good. No idea on mileage as I've only driven it ~25 miles so far.

No real difference noticed yet... my temp gauge stays around 210 give or take pretty much all the time once the 4.0 is warmed up.

Here's some comparison pics of the Napa and OE Fan Clutch

FanClutch.jpg

FanClutch2.jpg

FanClutch3.jpg

FanClutch4.jpg

As an aside... I didn't notice any 'knives' to break off the Napa HD clutch...

I just got a new HD clutch ,and the "Death Knives" are not on it now,,,a design change?From customer input ? From NAPA ? Of course they don,t build it,just sell it,,,

In the first pic,,,,,,at about 12.....5....and 9 o,clock. The longer projections are not there anymore...

Last edited:
I have had the NAPA one on for well over a year, had no "death knives" on that one. As far as I know, we have not changed suppliers on them either.

I put in a ZJ fan clutch NAPA 272310 about 2 years and 20k miles ago and I think it is starting to die on me. I have been over heating while stopped a little bit. I really liked the fan clutch when I first put it in and it has been fine up until just recently. I maybe should look to replace it soon if they are phasing out the old model....

Back