• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xxx-xj build

bics90xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well after building a 90 xj as a daily driver with bolt ons now is the time for a more worth while build. I'm starting with a 92 4dr in great shape that I got for $400. I've been stashing parts for a while now and am ready to put some together and get this thing rolling. Here is the parts list.

92 4dr 4.0ho 197000mi
ford 9"
hp44
salvaged johnny joints
ford steel wheels
RE 5.5 front coils
s/s brake lines

Ruffstuff parts
frame stiffeners
weld on bead locks
disc brake brackets
track bar brackets
track bar heims
THANKS DAN!!!

Here is the goal. 5.5" lift, 35" MTRs, lots of trimimg, streched 3-link front, streched rear with F150 main leaf bastard packs, rocker replacement, recesed winch, lots of bent tube, and we'll see what else pops up.

The begining of the x-member
Photo-0158.jpg

notching for th350 trans mount
Photo-0160.jpg

nice X member

are you going to run bolts through or use 2 factory plus self tappers? or weld on mounts and make removable?

It will be bolted to the frame stiffeners with 5 1/2in counter sunk bolts. Before I welded the stiffeners in I welded nuts it the inside of them.
Photo-0169.jpg

Also resesed the trans mount bolts.

While waiting for a place to work on th jeep its self I started on the HP44.
Photo-0069.jpg

Cutting the inner c's loose to rotate them. I found that a 2 jaw puller worked better than a BFH. Then cleaned up the inside of the c's with a flap wheel. Made it much easier to tap back on just don't do to much. While at it I welded the tubes to the center section.

oh sweet - that is a good idea about welding nuts inside rail

thanks - i am in process of mounting a homemade x member similar to yours

This is where the story should have started. My little red 92.
Photo-0182.jpg

Lots of welding tonight. Almost done with the frame stiffeners.
Photo-0185.jpg

Hate to show off but no rust is so nice. Done my fair share of rust repair on 55 chevys.
Photo-0183.jpg

The exhaust is the next project. This is what I'm starting with.
Photo-0186.jpg

Can't believe how small this is squished to!
Photo-0187.jpg

Keeping it as tight as posible.
Photo-0188.jpg

Running it under the trans.
Photo-0192.jpg

Here is how it goes over the x-member the upper link mount will stradle the pipe and hopefully the link will miss it at the kick in.
Photo-0193.jpg

Here it is before the welding, clean-up, and paint. Next will be the cat back at the same time th plan is to cut the tunnel to fit the upper link bracket. I want to try and keep it all under the carpet!
Photo-0196.jpg

Good Lord that's a lot of work to build that downpipe! Have fun with the pipe that close to the floor. I routed mine about 1/4" from the floor pans and they got so hot the Herculiner got soft and smelled everytime I drove. I tried wrapping it in fiberglass wrap, but it didn't help any. Have any plans for that? Maybe a heat shield if you can fit one in there?

Yes there is a plan. The upper link bracket is going to stradle the exhaust pipe which means cutting the floor some to make roon for it. This will also move the floor away from the pipe.

Started to do some cutting. A virgin floor is hard to cut up.
Photo-0198.jpg

Photo-0199.jpg

Here is the new hole. Trying to keep it all under the carpet thats why it 5 hours to get to the tacked in point.
Photo-0200.jpg

Better pics are coming. Layed the carpet over and it fits like a glove!!!

Well I had to take care of a sick inlaw so no work got done. :( But I did go to Summit Racing in Reno and get my new exhaust. :) Also got to see some snow on my 5 hr trip down I-80
Photo-0207.jpg

Back to working on theold girl. Shaved the 9 inch and looking at the front to figure out where to mount the track bar mount. Where it sits it will be 31 inches long. Should I try to get it longer?
Photo-0225.jpg

Photo-0227.jpg

Photo-0228.jpg

Should I try to move the bracket to the pass side more?
Photo-0230.jpg

Should I rotate the bracket forward?
Photo-0231.jpg

Photo-0232.jpg

Just a note on how I marked my cut lines for the 9 inch. I used a 2x4 block and a sharp scribe. I rotated the housing back so the block fit under the mating surface of the housing then moved the block around and scribed the line. A little plasma cutting and bam a nice big hole. Used a piece of cardboard to make the template. As you can see it makes it VERY close to the ring gear.

I've been buying more parts! Welded up my beadlocks and they are at the powder coaters so no pics. changed up the track bar bracket now that the steering is bolted on.
Photo-0236.jpg

Photo-0237.jpg

Photo-0235.jpg

Back