• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ heater core--make $ here!

kurazy kracka

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a clogged heater core in my xj and with cold weather coming up in the next few weeks i'd like to get a new one in there. Tried flushing current one out a bunch but its just too clogged.
I've got the new core but no idea how to install it.
Will pay someone to install it, just lemme know your price and location and availability. dead serious here.

I'm located in Northern VA

thanks
Mike

You might want to include the year. THe later model ones are not as easy IMHO as the older ones.

They're actually not as much of a pain as you think they may be.

Drain Coolant
Discharge AC system
Remove Steering Wheel
Remove top panels of dash exposing 4 main mounting bolts
Undo said 4 bolts and the 2 on the bottom (one on the left and one on the right)
Dash comes out in 1 piece
Remove nuts (5?) on the engine side of the firewall that hold the HVAC box in
Remove HVAC box and replace heater core and evap.
Reverse for installation.

Definitely helps to have a helper or two, but it's not as bad as some think. I've done 2 of them in the last year...first one took 3 hours start to finish with 3 of us working on it and the second one took around 6 hours with just me and a buddy working on it. The show stopper would be if you didn't have equipment to evacuate the AC system (vacuum pump) Wish I were closer to help you tackle it.

Yah Tim and me tackled he last one in about six hours. I have a feeling that when he needs to do his me and him can get it done together in about 4 or 5 hours.

How hard is this to do in a 91. My mother needs this same repair done to her Heep.

yea i don't have anyway to do the AC myself....if i had a shop evacuate it would it be enough to just get like the arcticfreeze recharge kit from walmart or something and recharge myself? system has 0 leaks.

yea i don't have anyway to do the AC myself....if i had a shop evacuate it would it be enough to just get like the arcticfreeze recharge kit from walmart or something and recharge myself? system has 0 leaks.

To discharge it you need to pull a vacuum on it to get everything out. To properly recharge it, you need pull another vacuum on it before putting freon back in. Doing so again gets any moisture out of the system that may have worked it's way in when you opened it up by removing parts.

Do yourself a favor too and replace the evaporator while you're doing the heater core. They're literally right next to each other and the evaps are WELL known on the late models for leaking. That's why people usually end up doing this job to begin with (seen more evaps fail first than I have heater cores).

I've owned her for about a year and never touched hte ac, maybe the evaporator has been replaced already?

You'll be able to tell when you get in there (or whoever gets in there for you). Factory ones have a foam insulation around them (eventually it breaks apart and shoots out of the vents every time you turn the blower on...ask me how I know). Both the new ones i've installed did not have any foam around them, that I recall.

Found a couple of pictures I took along the way that may help you visualize it.

This is how the dash will look when you pull it out:

15543_654494500977_36618587_37852160_7951639_n.jpg

Leaving this (HVAC Box still needs to come out):

24982_686725789217_36618587_38814256_3133554_n.jpg

I have the same problem. Anyone know of a good manual/procedure or even some more pictures to help guid me where exactly the bolts are under the dash. I am worried about the wiring. I suppose the only wiring I have to worry about is that which is going to the instrument cluster. Is that correct? Hey UNCC_99XJ, I noticed you're not too far from me. Any chance I could get some pointers from you? Perhaps meet up briefly? It would really be helpful. I can come on your schedule of course, just let me know what times are good for you. If you want I can give you my number so we can arrange to meet up for a short time if you feel like schooling me on this.

It doesn't seem real hard but having someone close to ask questions of is really nice.

Thanks

Last edited:
It really comes down to just unbolting everything until you can get to the evaporator and heater core. Just keep taking away parts and eventually you'll get there. It's not as bad as you would think. If this is your only car I would do it over a weekend so you have plenty of time to get it done. I would come help but I just had surgery and am bed ridden for a bit.

I have the same problem. Anyone know of a good manual/procedure or even some more pictures to help guid me where exactly the bolts are under the dash. I am worried about the wiring. I suppose the only wiring I have to worry about is that which is going to the instrument cluster. Is that correct? Hey UNCC_99XJ, I noticed you're not too far from me. Any chance I could get some pointers from you? Perhaps meet up briefly? It would really be helpful. I can come on your schedule of course, just let me know what times are good for you. If you want I can give you my number so we can arrange to meet up for a short time if you feel like schooling me on this.

It doesn't seem real hard but having someone close to ask questions of is really nice.

Thanks

Sure thing. Send me a PM with your info and we'll figure something out!

i haven't decided if i wanna try n take this on myself yet or not.....lol. all work on cars i've done has always been motor and suspension stuff (turbos, nitrous, lifts, drops etc) but i guess it can't be any harder than dropping a trans out of a mid engine car and puttin a new one in.

It really isn't that bad and if no one can make it your way a phone call should clear up any questions.

Yes the airbag will come out with the dash. Make sure you leave the battery unplugged for about a half hour before you start messing with it.

How far from Charlotte are you?

Back