• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ body on K5 Blazer frame

87manche said:
the difference there is that hydroformed vettes are a brand new technology.
He's talking about stuffing an XJ body onto a 20 year old c channel K5 frame.

Half the flex that comes from a K-5 is in the chassis. Ever see one flexed out and then go look at the body mounts? They're screaming for mercy.
not sure what your point is ...

a. you are comparing an XJ mounted on a K5 frame to a Corvette?

b. you just now read the original post?

c. you measured the torsional stiffness of a K5 chassis and a K5 body and found them to be essentially equal?

d. all of the above?

Zifos said:
"Each rendition of the Corvette chassis has been stiffer than the one before it. This is the primary goal of the hydroformed frame rails." -maXJohnson

The reason GM is putting so much work into making the Corvette frame stiffer is because they are trying to get the vette to be as stiff as all the uni-body competition. Because it is a fiberglass body a steel frame is necessary. This gives really low center of gravity (light fiberglass body, heavy steel frame)

maXJohnson:
You seem to be into the technical stuff, try doing a torsional stiffness calculation on 4 inch high x 48 inch wide ladder frame and compare it to a 48 in x 48 in sheet metal tube (uni-body). To make it easy just estimate the frame as a 4x48x120 tube and do a cantilever deflection calculation. Now using the same load you chose for the frame, do the same calculation with a 48x48x120 tube (approximation of a cherokee body). See which one deflects more and then find the wall thicknesses needed to make them have equal deflections.

by the way...
I cut the top of my 88 Cherokee and drove it around for quite a while. The doors all opened and closed just fine and I never noticed any flexing of what was left of the body. I eventually put a roll cage in for safety.
I suspect the Corvette engineers would like to exceed the torsional stiffness of their competition; unibody or otherwise.

The latest C6 uses aluminum, not steel for the frame with a wooden sandwich floor as a shear panel for added stiffness. apparently a steel frame is not necessary.

You obviously leave out way to many design details to determine the stiffness of your ladder frame example. But, lets assume your 48X48 section square box rendition of the unibody to have enclosed ends. Feel free to do your own math. As mentioned too many times to count on NAXJA forums, you should find the unibody example to be the stiffer design (by a factor of at least 2).

by the way...
I didn't cut the top off my 90 or 97 Cherokees and drove them around for quite a while. The doors all opened and closed just fine and I never noticed any flexing of what was left of the body(rust in the case of the 90). I eventually put a roll cage in the 90 for safety.

is this it by chance??

d66a_12.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...oryZ6281QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

UGLY!

Back