• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB - An XJ!!

LOUD02Special

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a decent condition, reasonable mileage XJ. Preferably with a driver's airbag. No trail rigs. I have $1000 cash to spend. I'm located in RI. Not looking to invest a lot to get it on the road. I need something I can use as a daily driver for about 3 years to keep my car off the road as a daily driver.

Whats reasonable for mileage? Airbags start in 95' and for $1000 your pushing it with little investment. That 97' I had may of had some miles but ran great and the kid had everything squared away over the weekend.

Whats reasonable for mileage? Airbags start in 95' and for $1000 your pushing it with little investment. That 97' I had may of had some miles but ran great and the kid had everything squared away over the weekend.

I'm still waiting to hear back on that 98, but I'm gonna keep looking until I hear what the CEL is. Reasonable mileage is under 200k for an older one, preferably around 160ish.

This needs more than twice its asking price in work

This is a good deal. I was seriously thinking about buying it, but I really want a 97+.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1001676

I saw this on Craigslist a few days ago. If it sits for sale for a while I'll make a move, but this guy looks really firm on his price right now. My cap of $1000 is a hard cap. I think he'll probably get close to what he's looking for judging by the condition and history behind it. When I sold my '90 Mighty Max I got a shitload of hits solely based on the lengthy description and history on it.

Has to be an XJ or could an I6 ZJ get the job done too? Chances are you'll find a ZJ closer to that price range.

Almost every ZJ I've looked at, test drove or even read listings for have needed something significant. The last one I drove the tranny took a shit during a 1/4 mile test drive in a driveway. Haven't driven one I liked yet.

the jeep im selling doesnt need a lot of work. 400 bucks at most if you do it yourself.

$400 I don't wanna spend to make it even remotely road worthy.

/me waves, good luck on your search man.

Thanks Tim!! Good seein you again this weekend, hope to see you in Carlisle again next year. Get that dam car painted and you'll have a ringer!!!

Why do you want airbags and OBD? Just curious...
It's tough to find a good XJ for $1K, as you have found out, but even tougher to find them 96+

Why do you want airbags and OBD? Just curious...
It's tough to find a good XJ for $1K, as you have found out, but even tougher to find them 96+

The airbags are because I'm a bit of a stickler about safety, and that is the year range I'd like to start. Everything older is more than likely rotted to the point where it will fail RI inspection, which is one of the toughest in the country. I've been looking at older ones and have found them to be a waste of time. It's no coincedence that every older one I've looked at is not currently inspected.

I see plenty of older XJs not rotted all the time and plenty of 97+ ones that are. Dont go by the yr just because youthink that, if anything try for a 95' you get airbags without the OBD2. A $1000 is a hard # to stick to but a 95' can be had for that and occassionally newer but not without needing something.

I haven't locked out 95's. I've been looking at older ones as well, like I said though, every older one so far has been rotted. I checked out a 95 that I could fit my entire hand through the floor a few weeks ago. I'm gonna make a thread about another one I found in a bit.

I see plenty of older XJs not rotted all the time and plenty of 97+ ones that are. Dont go by the yr just because youthink that, if anything try for a 95' you get airbags without the OBD2. A $1000 is a hard # to stick to but a 95' can be had for that and occassionally newer but not without needing something.

95 is the last year with OBD 1...OBD 2 didn't start til 96 ;)

and for what its worth, to the OP... my 95 has got zerooo rust :D

Back