• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will college get easier?

xjh3 said:
My actual engineering classes like SolidWorks are As and Bs, but chem and calc are killing me. I'm really hoping like someone said that once I am in more classes that are more concentrated in my field, that it may become easier. Plus, all the engineering professors have a pretty generous grading curves here, while math and science proffessors have non-existent grading curves.

Solidworks is not an "actual engineering class". Neither is learning how to use the built-in COSMOS plug-in.

All the "field concentrated classes", i.e., fluids, thermo 1 & 2, heat transfer, and advanced mech design all rely pretty heavily on calculus. It doesn't go away. Once your'e in the field that stuff doesn't matter anymore, but for classes you need to know it.

If you're going to rely on a curve to judge whether you're doing "well" in your field, get out now. Getting 60's and 70's on exams and having that be called a B gives you a huge sense of false confidence and will leave you in a bad spot once you get out in the field. I work with people like that on a daily basis. When I'm talking to an engineer from a company called "precision design and engineering" and I have to tell him about why he gets more output torque with a higher reduction ratio on a motor, or why it will be a 1.5 HP application regardless of the size of the driving wheel, I get pretty scared about the level of preparation that a lot of schools give degrees for.

I slacked off all through high school with a 4.2 GPA. Aced all my freshman seminar courses first semester as a physics major, changed to ME for second semester, then bombed the hell out of the second semester because I wasn't used to having to work. Wound up graduating with a 3.4 GPA in exactly 4 years total, and out of a incoming class of 42 ME's there were only 4 of us that didn't require extra semesters.

The trick is #1, you have to LIKE what you're doing in order to really do well at it. If you don't want to be doing the work, then it'll always just be an annoyance and something that you'll never want to try hard at. If math is really that big a deal I would suggest looking into the MET / engineering tech program instead.

#2, doing homework problems over and over, spending hours with textbooks, and slaving over a single problem for 4 hours is only a part of what you need to do. If you actually understand the concepts, and can step outside the confines of a stupid textbook problem and realize what's actually going on, then you'll find that all those homework problems and studying aren't as necessary. Because it's all just the same shit stacked different ways.

So no, it doesn't get easier automatically. It gets easier once you find something you enjoy doing, and figure out how to best approach the work.

First semester, freshman year - 4.0
2nd semester, freshman year - 3.2
3rd semester, sophomore year - 3.0
4th semester, sopohmore year - 2.5
5th semester, junior year - 3.8
6th semester... well finals are 15 days away...

I found freshman year to be a breeze, then I started getting invoved with the Mini Baja, and started focusing on classes less and less... and then i decided that I needed things for jeeps, like Atlas transfer cases, Warn Winches, and the like... and I got a part time job... and even less studying time...

its all about focusing on what is importiant at the time, and keeping the end goal in sight...

XJ_ranger said:
First semester, freshman year - 4.0
2nd semester, freshman year - 3.2
3rd semester, sophomore year - 3.0
4th semester, sopohmore year - 2.5
5th semester, junior year - 3.8
6th semester... well finals are 15 days away...

I found freshman year to be a breeze, then I started getting invoved with the Mini Baja, and started focusing on classes less and less... and then i decided that I needed things for jeeps, like Atlas transfer cases, Warn Winches, and the like... and I got a part time job... and even less studying time...

its all about focusing on what is importiant at the time, and keeping the end goal in sight...

I call BS Opie.

You had a breeze freshman year... Then you spent a summer with Ron and it all went to hell!

I'm actually about to wrap up my freshman year of MET next Wednesday. First semester I finished up with a 3.0 which is impressive considering I went into my first semester of college with a 17 credit hour semester (which makes this semester's 15 seem like a breeze....I have sooooo much free time it's not even funny, however i've got an 18 hour semester coming up in the fall...ouch). I only had to retake one course (physics I) becuase I missed a C by one point....(dont even get me started on that). Right now it sucks because i'm still in the intro courses, however next year I'll start getting into more of my major based MET courses, which I can't wait for.

I say wait and see how your next semester looks. By then you should be getting into the classes that are geared more towards your major, and you'll get a better idea of if you like it or not.

The things that get me into trouble the most are the girls, the Jeep, and this stupid site.....:D

xjh3 said:
... was a breeze for me other than math...
Hmm, ouch.

xjh3 said:
My actual engineering classes like SolidWorks are As and Bs, but chem and calc are killing me.
vetteboy said:
Solidworks is not an "actual engineering class". Neither is learning how to use the built-in COSMOS plug-in.

All the "field concentrated classes", i.e., fluids, thermo 1 & 2, heat transfer, and advanced mech design all rely pretty heavily on calculus. It doesn't go away. Once your'e in the field that stuff doesn't matter anymore, but for classes you need to know it.
Agreed.

Mechanical Engineering is all Math. Calculus isn't even the problem, the problem comes with differentail equations and Advanced Applied Engineering Math, along with Linear Algebra I and II.

Math doesn't end with the math classes either, my Thermo I (and now II) and Fuild I and II classes are ALL the stuff I learned in Calc II/III and Diff Eqs.

vetteboy said:
If you're going to rely on a curve to judge whether you're doing "well" in your field, get out now. Getting 60's and 70's on exams and having that be called a B gives you a huge sense of false confidence and will leave you in a bad spot once you get out in the field. I work with people like that on a daily basis. When I'm talking to an engineer from a company called "precision design and engineering" and I have to tell him about why he gets more output torque with a higher reduction ratio on a motor, or why it will be a 1.5 HP application regardless of the size of the driving wheel, I get pretty scared about the level of preparation that a lot of schools give degrees for.

Again, agreed. The dean set strict policies about 'No Scaling' for my major. What I get is what I get... bomb a test, and I better do good on the next.

I don't get how some colleges can call a 60 or 70 a 'B', sometimes I'd kill for that scale. Nothing gets learned that way. If you fail, you fail. Repeat it, or get out.

I'm sticking with it, it's hard, and I have no time to "go out and have fun" like those damn easy majors (business and art). I'm not that great with the math either... However in the end, hopefully, I'll be making more and have a job that I like.

Keep the GPA up freshman year (maybe too late now) cause you'll need it to "fall back on" in later years.

-Bill

Last edited:
Once you get into the next semester you will probably think the last semester was cake.. The best thing to do especially in engineering is to find a bunch of people in your classes that you can do homework with, but not copy from though (that usually ends up being bad for you in the end).

Linear math is very important for mech eng., differential equations are where its at for aero eng. Fluids and Thermo/heat transfer are important for higher level classes too.

Been there, done that. It got easier for me...and has paid off.

First year as ME calc I - failed (D) first time, C second time. I might have gotten a B in Calc II, C's in calc III and IV. C - almost D - in differential equations.

Almost all A's in the "real" engineering classes. For me the difference between real life application and theortical math was huge.

Talk to some of you engineering teachers - they might be a lot more help than the math teachers.

Try not to get hung up on needing to "like" the math parts - in the real world mech engineering is a huge field - find an area you like. You will need to understand underlying princples - but don't let math classes drive you out of the field.

It may be a lot of hard work - studying on weekends when your friends are off partying. But consider the payoff - or at least look at careers and salaires before changing majors. There is a lot of work in engineering that can pay well and be intersting/challenging for a career.

good luck.

I know math is never going to go away, but I geuss I'm hoping that when it becomes applied it will be easier for me to make sense of it, I believe this is why physics was always relatively easy. One kid I talked to who is a senior had to retake calc 1 and 2 and he says now he has no problems making sense of his homework.

I really don't at this point have any desire to change my major. I geuss I was just wondering what other people's experiences were.

I know my classes aren't going to get easier. What I geuss I was asking was if there is a learning curve to learning this stuff.

Thanks for the responses.

The one thing I have fund to be most helpful is to find a good group of friends that take a lot of the same classes. I am finishing my junior year of environmental engineering and find doing work with friends makes doing work a lot better. I also struggled with the calc, 2 was the worst, but once diff eq is over with you're home free.

GSequoia said:
I...
Then you spent a summer with Ron and it all went to hell!

Hey. Don't blame that shiat on me!

Besides, he got a 3.8 in Applied Friction, Rotational Ferrous Substrate Removal Management and Blending Principals, including the onerous Attached Power Delivery Avoidance Management. And, I think he pulled a 3.7 out in Atlai Planetary Systems Configuration and Coupling.

I think you guys should go out and buy a copy of SolidWorks and just call yourself an Engineer.

:D

--ron

Wow, the SolidWorks thing is really biting me in the ass. I geuss my intention with that wasn't to imply that because I did well in that class that I would surely be an exceptional engineer.

JimXJ2000 said:
Been there, done that. It got easier for me...and has paid off.

First year as ME calc I - failed (D) first time, C second time. I might have gotten a B in Calc II, C's in calc III and IV. C - almost D - in differential equations.

Almost all A's in the "real" engineering classes. For me the difference between real life application and theortical math was huge.

Same here the calc classes were the hardest classes I've ever had and took multiple tries.

But then got to Solid, Machine design and blew through with 98. And the trend followed.

Captain Ron said:
I think you guys should go out and buy a copy of SolidWorks and just call yourself an Engineer.

--ron

thats what everyone else is doing?

I'm a Comp Sci major so I have tons of math and long programming marathons. Finds some friends in your classes and have group study sessions @ someones house. Those are great when you all start working on your own thing but if you run in to crap you ask the group. Plus in the end we always end up ordering pizza and watching a movie or something. Its a great way of rewarding your hard work and you learn better when you reward yourself.

I'm a history major. It has two math requirements. 121(algebra) and anything above 121. I took "hippy liberal math", stats, finance and some other crap.

Ramsey said:
I'm a history major. It has two math requirements. 121(algebra) and anything above 121. I took "hippy liberal math", stats, finance and some other crap.

Whatever 1+1 = 10

enough computer jibberjabber

2+2=5 with sufficiently large values of 2

have to mention:

there are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ramsey said:
there are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I was really tempted to post that earlier

89Daytona said:
I have ProE/Wildfire, does that count?

Nope. You almost actually have to BE an engineer just to use that stuff.

No matter that 99% of the manufacturing world will translate it into whatever it is they use in house for CAM.

I do have one customer that uses ProE, Litton PRC. I charge a 30% premium for configuration engineering up front on everything they do. I also have a customer, Motorola, that uses SolidDesigner. I hit them with 40%. They both love me, I'm cheap.

--ron

Back