• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VP Nomination "About Me" Thing and Stuff and Whatnot

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty, so I guess it is time for an "about me" doo-hickey :D

Me...my name is Justin aka Waterboy (via ColoradoFest 2005) aka Buggy Boy (via ColoradoFest 2014).

I'm 27, and have been a part of the Colorado Chapter since I was 16...and have been harassed by Led ever since :D

My "background":

I lived in Colorado Springs since 4th grade (military brat) and graduated from Sand Creek High School in 2005. From there went to CA for a year and was part of the SoCal Chapter. Came back to Colorado to attend CSU (had already been accepted before going to CA) since I decided playing college football and getting a degree weren't happening. I graduated from CSU in 2011 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Biomedical Engineering. I'm currently a consultant/contractor as a Validation Engineer and project manager that primarily works in the Biotech and Pharma industries doing Commissioning and Qualification.

My "Rig":

I've had quite a few Jeeps over the years, but there's only one that really means anything to me :D
I started with an '88 XJ in highschool my Sophomore year. After getting into wheeling a bit, I kinda sorta killed it playing around behind SkySox Stadium in the Springs. In comes my next Jeep...and pristine clean white '98 XJ with ~65k on the clock. It didn't stay stock long. Soon enough it was lifted, locked, and on 35's.
From there, that thing wen't through many a trail and through many spots it really probably shouldn't have (happens when you wheel with comp buggies).
So, long story short...the next phase of the build began by sourcing parts while a Sophomore in college. Fast forward to this summer...and the XJ buggy was born (well, done enough to wheel :D).

The Chapter:

What do I want to see?

To be honest, I want to see the CO chapter return to at least SOME of it's former glory. At 2005's ColoradoFest we had a lot of people from both in and out of state...and it felt like an actual event. Fast forward to 2014's ColoradoFest...and it felt more like a get together than an event.

My main focus would be trying to make COFest a real event again, and try to draw new blood to the event if not the chapter. I've spoken with quite a few others...and the feeling seems to be the same: the CO chapter is dying...waning off into non-existence. I know some left the sport for various reasons (money, lack of interest, just plain burnt out, etc.) or moved onto different vehicles. I know some people might disagree...but that case you'd have your head in the sand (or not have been around NAXJA long enough). We're now having to compete with 13420834708 other forums, when NAXJA used to be the one end-all-be-all for XJ/MJ. We've got to do something to set NAXJA apart (social media more, better events, more incentives to join the chapter, etc.)

I'd like to do what I can to bring people back in and have newer member to help carry the chapter on.

Yes, I'm mainly focused on COFest (events bring people) :D

What I want to see with it:
- Dates of the event set in stone at the beginning of 2015
- Camp location set and reserved at the beginning of 2015
- A much more involved COFest 2015 Forum, have a "flyer" made up for the event
- Look into getting stickers, t-shirts, etc. made if there is interest
- Trail dates set, so outsiders KNOW what trails are tentatively planned and WHEN
- A list of ALL the trails in the area, with links to pictures, descriptions, etc. so that those not familiar with the area know what is around in case they choose to run something else than the planned schedule or just want to know what the tentative trails are like
- An actual DINNER dinner (no offense meant what so ever Fred, you did a lot with very little this year). I talked with Flores, and he has two smokers he could bring and we could have a kick-azz BBQ dinner.
- PHYSICAL items at the raffle. We can go over this time and time again...but we all know physical items gets people to buy tickets. That piece of paper can be great...but it still won't sell tickets like physical items will. I know this is something I'd have to talk with the BOD about (so looking forward to that convo...)
- Get some ideas for any possibly fun activities to do during the event?

Other than COFest, I'd like to see if we could actually get back to wheeling some. Our trip reports section is rather dismal. With that I'd like to work on getting a few sanctioned runs to get people together and actually wheeling instead of sitting behind the keyboard mainly. At the least I'd like to see one NAXJA trip per quarter.

So...I guess that is it in a "nutshell"

Any questions? :D

freerider15 said:
We're now having to compete with 13420834708 other forums, when used to be the one end-all-be-all for XJ/MJ. We've got to do something to set apart (social media more, better events, more incentives to join the chapter, etc.)
All this time I thought we ate our dead. :D

Do you think we have missed opportunities with our bias toward the "sport" aspect of our vehicles?

I think its a simple fact of social media being the new thing. Having a platform specific site doesn't help things either. A focus on the specific aspect of wheeling I don't feel is a major deterrent. Most people get into Jeeps for a specific reason. This site is also pretty mild-moderate for the most part in that aspect so it should be a great place for newbs and experienced people alike. The thing is there are many forums out there that cater to a specific form of wheeling that aren't platform specific so hard to stand out. You also have mega-forums like Pirate4x4 that have everything from platform specific to wheeling style specific and most everything in between.

I would think the best thing this Chapter can do is focus more on the local community aspect. Get out there, represent the name (ex: stickers, shirts, etc), be seen, and be supportive. Things like the Toy Drive, COFest, trail cleanups, regular day-trips and over night trips, etc. Add to that a bit of facebook posting for those that use that outlet and you can start getting awareness out there. Its a lot to undertake and a lot of work for the small group of unpaid volunteers that make up the BOD, that's where the rest of the membership needs to step up. The BOD isn't there to do everything for the forum, they are there to facilitate. I think Justin will be very good to focus on making COFest a major event again, he is also more up to date on other media outlets. If we as a forum can be helpful and keep him from getting burned out like the rest of the BOD tends to get then we'll be on our way. I know I for one am looking forward to going out to BV again and attending another COFest. Even if its not in BV I'll be trying to attend, I just really enjoy that area.

So is Dutch the mouthpiece for Justin here? LOL!

Justin, as a candidate, do you approve this message? :D

Last edited:
All this time I thought we ate our dead. :D

Do you think we have missed opportunities with our bias toward the "sport" aspect of our vehicles?

I don't think so. I think NAXJA appeals to a large range of people from those who are interested in sight seeing, to those interested in technical crawling.

I think its a simple fact of social media being the new thing. Having a platform specific site doesn't help things either. A focus on the specific aspect of wheeling I don't feel is a major deterrent. Most people get into Jeeps for a specific reason. This site is also pretty mild-moderate for the most part in that aspect so it should be a great place for newbs and experienced people alike. The thing is there are many forums out there that cater to a specific form of wheeling that aren't platform specific so hard to stand out. You also have mega-forums like Pirate4x4 that have everything from platform specific to wheeling style specific and most everything in between.

I would think the best thing this Chapter can do is focus more on the local community aspect. Get out there, represent the name (ex: stickers, shirts, etc), be seen, and be supportive. Things like the Toy Drive, COFest, trail cleanups, regular day-trips and over night trips, etc. Add to that a bit of facebook posting for those that use that outlet and you can start getting awareness out there. Its a lot to undertake and a lot of work for the small group of unpaid volunteers that make up the BOD, that's where the rest of the membership needs to step up. The BOD isn't there to do everything for the forum, they are there to facilitate. I think Justin will be very good to focus on making COFest a major event again, he is also more up to date on other media outlets. If we as a forum can be helpful and keep him from getting burned out like the rest of the BOD tends to get then we'll be on our way. I know I for one am looking forward to going out to BV again and attending another COFest. Even if its not in BV I'll be trying to attend, I just really enjoy that area.

So is Dutch the mouthpiece for Justin here? LOL!

Justin, as a candidate, do you approve this message? :D

I do :D

Dutch and I have talked about it before, and he's basically reiterating what we've talked about. While forums aren't dying, they are now competing with social media (i.e. Facebook). While Facebook groups can be nice, you can't get there what you can here (like tech, actual answers, people willing to call you stupid :D).

What Facebook has to the younger generation is immediate-ness (yes I realize this is a problem with younger people). Forums are a place where maybe you visit a couple times a day, as opposed to some people and Facebook...where they visit every 15 minutes.

I think the starting of the NAXJA Facebook group was a good move. I'd like to start trying to "advertise" NAXJA on some of the Facebook groups...maybe draw some of those in who are looking for actual answers and tech.

Maybe something to do would try and post FAQ/tech articles on the Facebook page. Once people wander to those, they might wonder what else NAXJA has to offer in those regards.

That's a good idea as it would help draw attention to the biggest advantage the forums have over social media. Tech threads are archived and continuously accessible, whereas a posting gets lost in the sauce. I'm not sure how long a posting will stay on facebook but I sure wouldn't want to try to scroll through years of posting just to find one that has some worthwhile tech in it.

That's a good idea as it would help draw attention to the biggest advantage the forums have over social media. Tech threads are archived and continuously accessible, whereas a posting gets lost in the sauce. I'm not sure how long a posting will stay on facebook but I sure wouldn't want to try to scroll through years of posting just to find one that has some worthwhile tech in it.

You could do a tech article, and possible archive it in the area where you see some people put "notes". If pictures can't be included...one could always put a link to the NAXJA section for further clarification.

DutchVDub said:
I would think the best thing this Chapter can do is focus more on the local community aspect.
That is what kept me coming back, the reason I ponied up to have red letters, the reason I send people here.

Now, about those stickers: If Justin gets elected, will there be free chapter stickers for everyone who attends an event?

I would vote for Justin on that platform. :D

That is what kept me coming back, the reason I ponied up to have red letters, the reason I send people here.

Now, about those stickers: If Justin gets elected, will there be free chapter stickers for everyone who attends an event?

Me too! Stickers are always a plus. :)

Stickers cost money, but it does make sense that Red and Green letter members get chapter stickers.

Me too! Stickers are always a plus. :)

Whata buncha freeloaders geeze :D

Stickers cost money, but it does make sense that Red and Green letter members get chapter stickers.

Yeah it would make sense to me to have them for green and red letter members. I know the CO Chapter sticker that was on my hatch for years was a nice sticker and still going strong even after scrapping the hatch years later.

I haven't looked into sticker making previously, but it can't be THAT expensive?

I haven't looked into sticker making previously, but it can't be THAT expensive?

If I recall, when I did the first two runs, it was about $2 a sticker. I did a refresh last month if anyone is interested. There was also an initial setup fee ($50?) and I think he charged an additional $75 to make it into a vector graphic.

20141020110904-53f75412-la.png

Last edited:
If I recall, when I did the first two runs, it was about $2 a sticker. I did a refresh last month if anyone is interested. There was also an initial setup fee ($50?) and I think he charged an additional $75 to make it into a vector graphic.

20141020110904-53f75412-la.png

Ok that's not too bad.

Setup fee then seems to be the largest cost.

Vector graphic? Da fuq be that? (off to google :D)

A vector graphic has distinct "paths", so basically an outline of every single line. Where as a jpeg is just a sheet. This is how you get the crisp lines vs. the pixilation of a jpeg. Furthermore, a scalable vector graphic can be blown up to any size and not distort nor blur. The original logo was made as a jpeg, so it's basically stuck in the size I made it. You can convert it to a vector for printing purposes, but it's like a copy of copy, just looks like crap. The newer one I made from the ground up as a vector image.

I think having a Chapter Store is a brilliant idea!

Back