• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why Fram filters are bad

I use a Mopar oil filter on mine but i would NEVER run a FRAM on anything(now that i know better, I used to run them on my cars never had problems luckily) just like i wouldn't Run Goodyear tires on anything!

It mainly a matter of personal preference with some brands. Fram doesn't seem to care if their filters destroy engines!

Used Fram filters for years no problems... Heck ,I've used several brands for years with no problems..

I change all my oil every 3,000. except my new 4.0 it will be changed every 2,000 and it will have a two qt. wix oil filter..

Protecting the new horse!!

Nick

Used Fram filters for years no problems... Heck ,I've used several brands for years with no problems..

I change all my oil every 3,000. except my new 4.0 it will be changed every 2,000 and it will have a two qt. wix oil filter..

Protecting the new horse!!

Nick

Where do you get the 2 quart filter? The stock one holds about a 1/2 quart, so we could put in 7 1/2 qts then.

I see you live near me....I don't know about the brodheadsville location but the leihighton store has about 50/50 fram/purolator

Yea, but thats 30 minutes south of me and out of the way, the only time I'm down there is when I'm doing computer work at Sunny Rest. I noticed the AdvancedA down the street from Sheets on McArthur carries a lot different stuff than the AdvancedA up in broadheadsville.

oh sure, I wouldnt go that far either....Sunny Rest - LOL, pass there every day going to work (Blocker Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Kawasaki)
I like working there, the people are really nice and once you get over the distractions you feel a bit weird wearing clothes LOL...

I have always used Fram filters, even when I drag raced (Built 360 MOPAR). I have never had a filter failure.

I have a 1974 AMC Javelin with a 360v8... had about 20psi at idle, then all of a sudden zero. Was told to swap the oil filter (there was a fram on there) and I installed a wix, and idle is 25psi, the gasket has more sealing area, the oil holes in the 'cap' are larger for better flow, and since then screw fram.

Don't believe me? Compare them at your local parts store... fram to KN (some say it's a wix with a nut on the end and a few more bucks on the pricetag)

Shame they suck nowadays, they used to make excellent filters in the pre-honeywell days.

My approved list:
Hastings
Baldwin
Napa/Wix
Fleetgard (cummins)

if need be... purolator or any filter made by champion labs (stp and others) as they're middle of the road. Still better than fram.

Once again, it's a shame fram sucks. :(

I guess if you still love orange and grippyness, buy a good filter, and paint it persian orange (allis chalmers tractor color) and dip the end in truck bedliner stuff.

If you want more capacity, look for a 1980s ford 302 application filter. Also works on mopar v8s and v6 engines. DOn't use the dinky little filters the parts books recommend unless there's obvious issues like frame clearance and stuff. I recommend partially filling the filter with oil to reduce 'dry run' time after the oil change.

Last edited:
yeah, once you get a little oil on that grip part its just as slippery as any other filter - I think thats such a dumb idea - and some of their filters still don't have it on anyway - I used to work at a parts store and people would be all bent out of shape because their filter didnt have the sure grip LOL

If you want more capacity, look for a 1980s ford 302 application filter. Also works on mopar v8s and v6 engines. DOn't use the dinky little filters the parts books recommend unless there's obvious issues like frame clearance and stuff. I recommend partially filling the filter with oil to reduce 'dry run' time after the oil change.

this i know, i use the Napa Gold 1515, 1qt. but a 2qt filter (if there is one) would have to be ginormous, like deisel size lol.

i will never use fram to many horror stories i use mobil 1, purolater or napa gold i see it as im 18 and i have to make my rig last as long as possible and saving a buck or two is not worth it to me and the purolaters have the grip on the filter too and the napa filters are still made by wix

i'm not too worried about running an extra quart - 6 quarts is pretty good when alot of vehicles only take 4-5 - more oil is definitely better though I agree but I am happy with the 6

Wow, I normaly don't chime in to these kind of threads, but I gotta chime in here.
I have been a automotive professional for 15 years. I started by being a oil changer. I have been a mechanic, service writer, and store manager. Needless to say I have done alot in the business. One thing I always have liked to do is go in back and change oil. I have also cut apart hundreds of oil filters in my day just to see what the different brands look like on the inside. In my opinion, fram is a bit cheaper than some of the high end filters listed here. On the same note purolator has a cheap line of filters and so does wix. Guess what guys, they all have a cheap line! Hastings? Yup they have a cheap line. The only differance is fram has the stones to put the name fram on their cheap line.
Moving on, I have taken off many thousand fram oil filters and you know what? The cars keep on going. I have seen engines fail with all kinds of brands of filters. Do I use them, not if I have a choice, but the same goes for any other brand, it depends on the line of the filter. I just had a engine in a newly purchased car fail, with a purolator filter in it. Its not very often your engine is gonna fail because of a oil filter if you service your vehicle regularly. To put out a oil filter for sale the companies have to meet certain requirments. If fram didn't meet those it wouldnt be on the shelf.

Hey, the famous air-cooled Beetles only have a screen as an oil filter. You drop it out, rinse the chunks off and you're good to go. And they only die from valves coming off, not bearing wear.

If the Fram is so bad then which one is best?

Back