• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why Fram filters are bad

I run a bosch 3500 filter for a ford v8. It's a larger filter, larger element, holds more oil, etc. Obviously, you can get this size filter for any brand. The only downside is that I have to disco the battery when installing since you run the risk of touching the starter terminals.

More info:
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm

ive been investigating this myself... apparently there are 3 necks of concern.... let me know if im wrong
**-90 - metric thread, 90degree neck, oem
91-92 - 3/4 thread, 90degree neck, ford filter compatable, original renix orientation... no need to worry about hitting the starter, it isnt even close...
92-?? - these are the ones that fit a ford filter, but put the filter downwards towards the starter....

just fyi for those considering a beefier filter

Hot at idle=15lbs. At hwy=40lbs. The word "idle" probably got edited out in one of my many pre-post revisions- Sorry! IIRC, the oil that's in there now has a bit over 3000 miles on it, and it's due for a change.

Positive suggestions that were made about trying a different brand noted, and not out of hand either, but truely considered.

We currently have four Cherokees, and none of them ever has the gauge go below 35 or so, approximating from the gauge, no matter how long they are idling. If one of them was at 15lbs, I would think something is wrong.
However, I'm not sure where you live, maybe altitude/temperature could be making this difference.

Edit: saw you live in Madison, WI. So there shouldn't be any difference. I wonder why yours drops down to 15psi? Is it a Renix? The gauge on our old 88 would go down pretty good at idle.

We currently have four Cherokees, and none of them ever has the gauge go below 35 or so, approximating from the gauge, no matter how long they are idling. If one of them was at 15lbs, I would think something is wrong.
However, I'm not sure where you live, maybe altitude/temperature could be making this difference.

Edit: saw you live in Madison, WI. So there shouldn't be any difference. I wonder why yours drops down to 15psi? Is it a Renix? The gauge on our old 88 would go down pretty good at idle.

Are you running a synthetic oil?

Mobil-1 ticked me off when they changed their filter color from white to black, I used to write down the mileage on the filter when I put it on, made it a bit easier to see when I last changed it, I actually put two numbers down, current mileage and next change mileage. Have not found a white sharpie that works yet. Going to try yellow and green next. Just a handy tip.

I have had an engine fail directly because of a bad Fram Filter, and the replacement was nearly put on a gurney for the same - a bad Fram filter.

It's not about the color, filter media, anti drainback rubber, or whether it's gotten dipped in bedliner - it's about the phenolic paper end cap failing to hold and causing complete pressure loss from internal bypassing. That's my $1800 dollars experience.

Zuki, I'm glad you've seen the inside of many aircraft filters, but that has little to do with selling the cheapest possible product in 10,000 'Marts nationwide. This thread got started because over the last ten years, Frams have built a reputation of failure one engine block at a time, and done it well, both on the road and on a lot of other forums. There is a even better reason not to use Fram - they got dropped by a major national parts chain because of the customer feedback and blown motors, which substantiates the depth of the problem to a significant degree.

I don't agree that Fram should be chastised for it's TG series - it's a different filter. Please, y'all, stick to what is specifically known - the paper end cap on the cheapy filter separates and causes engine failures.

I have no problem if they have given good service to many, but one thing I have learned is the price of cheap filters will never save enough to cover the cost of an engine replacement, ever. So I never use the cheap Fram 1) because they hurt me 2) they will again.

YMMV. Happy Trails.

Mobil-1 ticked me off when they changed their filter color from white to black, I used to write down the mileage on the filter when I put it on, made it a bit easier to see when I last changed it, I actually put two numbers down, current mileage and next change mileage. Have not found a white sharpie that works yet. Going to try yellow and green next. Just a handy tip.

Try the silver sharpies or the white laundry pens (kinda like "paint" in a big sharpie type marker).

There is a even better reason not to use Fram - they got dropped by a major national parts chain because of the customer feedback and blown motors, which substantiates the depth of the problem to a significant degree.

So thats why the two parts stores stopped carrying them and stocked up on Mobil-1, K&N and Purolator. Next question is are the Mobil-1's carried by walmart the same quality as the parts stores. I know that Ariens and some other lawn mower companies make cheaper models for Home Depot and Loews, I already know that alot of stuff made for Walmart is cheaper quality. The only difference I have seen between the Mobil-1 filters carried by wallyworld and Advanced is the wallyworld ones are sealed in plastic while the parts store are not.

Try the silver sharpies or the white laundry pens (kinda like "paint" in a big sharpie type marker).
Gonna pick up an assorted pack next trip to staples and sample some colors.

The metalic silver Sharpie works well for marking on black.

Oops, didn't see the post before this one.

:doh:

But they do work.

Last edited:
Used Frams for 19 years and haven't blown an engine yet. I notice I have more oil pressure with the TGs than the base, but still had no issues. I am not a Fram fan or any other filter fan. I ran a Bosch once (don't remember which but I remember I paid about $10 for it) and there was not a noticeable change in pressure than the base Fram and less than the TG. My 91 has 373,xxx miles on it and the TGs do great for me. I might give the Napa Gold a try next and see if there is any difference. If it performs as well as the Fram TG and doesn't cost more I see no reason not use it again since Fram has gotten some bad reviews on this thread, BUT from my own personal experience I have never had a Fram cause a problem. I know a few others that have always used Fram and had zero problems with them as well.

Just my $.02.

There is a even better reason not to use Fram - they got dropped by a major national parts chain because of the customer feedback and blown motors

So thats why the two parts stores stopped carrying them and stocked up on Mobil-1, K&N and Purolator.

Curiosity gets the best of me--

1) who dropped them because of customer feedback

2) which two in Pennsylvania stopped carrying them all together?

I only ask 'cuz I work in the automotive aftermarket, and haven't heard much about Fram being dropped from anywhere

Curiosity gets the best of me--

1) who dropped them because of customer feedback

2) which two in Pennsylvania stopped carrying them all together?

I only ask 'cuz I work in the automotive aftermarket, and haven't heard much about Fram being dropped from anywhere

Here, locally Advanced Auto and National Auto parts, they do still carry the air filters though and some oil filters but nothing like the dedicated isles they had a year or so ago. Frams took up both sides, air on one side and oil on the other. Advanced has NO fram oil filters, National carries just the TG's.

huh, that must be something regional to their Lebanon Valley, PA or Delaware, OH distribution centers (Advance, that is) as although Purolator has always been the "full line" coverage filter, Fram oil filters are still at about 75% coverage in the stores out of the Roanoke, VA distribution center. (Extra Guard and Tough Guard)

so...I have 2 renix era xj's and it seems as though not all the brands make a filter for these things - I just run purolator filters I change my oil every 2500 in my DD and my trail rig every time I go wheelin' - I figure I get it hot a couple times when we go and its just cheap insurance on my 295k engine

oh...and I have an '04 VW GTI VR6 which uses a cartridge style filter and I used fram in it ONE TIME (at the same $15 price as a dealer filter!) and when I changed my fully synthetic amsoil 5k later the filter had crumpled up to about 1/2 its size - NEVER AGAIN will I use a fram filter in ANYTHING after that - I have done 14 oil changes on that car to date and with a few different brands of filters and have never seen that happen EXCEPT WHEN I USED A FRAM - so theres a good one for you guys...ALWAYS the same oil and change interval so goes to show you there is something wrong there

Here, locally Advanced Auto and National Auto parts, they do still carry the air filters though and some oil filters but nothing like the dedicated isles they had a year or so ago. Frams took up both sides, air on one side and oil on the other. Advanced has NO fram oil filters, National carries just the TG's.

I see you live near me....I don't know about the brodheadsville location but the leihighton store has about 50/50 fram/purolator

I change my oil every 2500 in my DD and my trail rig every time I go wheelin' - I figure I get it hot a couple times when we go and its just cheap insurance on my 295k engine
You change your oil every time you go wheeling? Do you have any reason what so ever for doing that, other than wasting money?

Back