• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who's going thread

So when I lock the front hubs I start hearing loud popping and clunking when I turn. After that happens I cant turn sharp driver side.

I am throwing in the towel on my rig. I will be taking it to have a front end aligned tomorrow and if that does not stop the loud clunking that is going on I am going to take it to J&B Off-road and have them finish the axel swap.

I am in way over my head and I just want it to stop. God willing my GDaughter and I will be there on Thursday. Wish me luck.

Damn i wish you were closer to any of us tim. Im sure many of us would be able to sort this stuff out for you man. If you are ever able to make it down this way with your jeep i would be more than willing to wrench on your jeep. We should have a wrench party for skippers jeep

Damn i wish you were closer to any of us tim. Im sure many of us would be able to sort this stuff out for you man. If you are ever able to make it down this way with your jeep i would be more than willing to wrench on your jeep. We should have a wrench party for skippers jeep

If anyone disserves a wrench party where their heap got worked on its
Tim.
Thanks Gordon, I am way out of the way which can be great and not so great. The next few days I will be having the whole thing sorted out. This is what happens when you pick up a hobby late, you pay hell to catch up or in my case mechanics :chef:
We will be there and all the drama will be behind me and just great friends, fresh mountain air and the smell of dust as I play catch up on the trails. :spin1: I can hardly wait! :cheers:

Skipper is your jeep ready?

Skipper is your jeep ready?

Thanks for asking Jon

:soapbox:

No, as of right now its not ready:bawl:

I will be taking it to professionals today and getting them to dial the OTK steering in and doing an alignment. :rtm:

This should get all the bugs from my bumbling around with the heap cleaned up and everything made right. :pirate1:

Madison's first wheeling trip and I am getting attached to having it go right so the rig needs to be ready to tackle the trails without an incident :nono:

Thanks for asking Jon

:soapbox:

No, as of right now its not ready:bawl:

I will be taking it to professionals today and getting them to dial the OTK steering in and doing an alignment. :rtm:

This should get all the bugs from my bumbling around with the heap cleaned up and everything made right. :pirate1:

Madison's first wheeling trip and I am getting attached to having it go right so the rig needs to be ready to tackle the trails without an incident :nono:

I understand that. So it should be good to go by next week?

Haha Josh...even though Joe and I don't have the XJ in common anymore, the chemistry is still there after all these years! :rolleyes:

Those two are still together? Nice to hear that bromance still burns bright.

I understand that. So it should be good to go by next week?

Should be but lets see if it is.

I took it to get an alignment and they said my drag link Heim joint needs to be replace and passenger bearing needs to be packed because it felt loose.:repair:
I changed both the Heim joints in the track bar and tie rod but did not do the one on the drag link. The shop said that was the most important one. :doh:

so the guys a J&M Offroad have it and will replace the Heim, pack the bearing and take it to be aligned.

if all that goes with out a hitch then I will be at Hermit Valley Campgrounds Thursday evening. See you all then.

Should be but lets see if it is.

I took it to get an alignment and they said my drag link Heim joint needs to be replace and passenger bearing needs to be packed because it felt loose.:repair:
I changed both the Heim joints in the track bar and tie rod but did not do the one on the drag link. The shop said that was the most important one. :doh:

so the guys a J&M Offroad have it and will replace the Heim, pack the bearing and take it to be aligned.

if all that goes with out a hitch then I will be at Hermit Valley Campgrounds Thursday evening. See you all then.

One does not simply "pack" a sealed unit bearing. The whole assembly needs to be replaced. A new timken unit bearing from autozone will set you back just over a hundred bucks.

One does not simply "pack" a sealed unit bearing. The whole assembly needs to be replaced. A new timken unit bearing from autozone will set you back just over a hundred bucks.

he has warn lockouts, the lord of the bling. One simply does not just walk into mordor...

FYI rockauto has timkens for aroun 67$ each, or at least over a year or two ago when I did a WJ swap I used 2001 timkens for a Tj and they were 67$. OMG i just realized I did a WJ knuckle swap and gears and locker, then a 44 front , then a 14 bolt all in like 12 months. Holy crap. Most guys would be stoked with just a WJ swap in 12 months. I have a serious problem. Good thing the answer is more cowbell! or jeep parts. whatever.

Sooooooooo. I have a wedding to attend in hollister on the 8th. If time permits I may continue the trek through to Sierra fest and be there for Saturday. I will miss the Friday night run. Again. :( So if there will be a group who wants to run deer valley Saturday after slick rock I'm game. Ive still never been on it past the top where we star gaze. And have only been on it during the night. As possible with last year I may be bringing a prerunner jeep hahah. So, I may make it. If I do there is three possible outcomes on how I'll be attending.
1: rear wheel drive only (most likely)
2: front wheel drive only (second most likely)
3: 4wd (least likely)

I will be attending heepless. I figure there are always some people with an open seat. I will be heading up sometime Friday AM.

he has warn lockouts, the lord of the bling. One simply does not just walk into mordor...

FYI rockauto has timkens for aroun 67$ each, or at least over a year or two ago when I did a WJ swap I used 2001 timkens for a Tj and they were 67$. OMG i just realized I did a WJ knuckle swap and gears and locker, then a 44 front , then a 14 bolt all in like 12 months. Holy crap. Most guys would be stoked with just a WJ swap in 12 months. I have a serious problem. Good thing the answer is more cowbell! or jeep parts. whatever.

Calling me the 'Lord of Bling' made me laugh out loud and get a weird look from Lisa. Or is warn lockouts the 'lord of bling' ??? anyway I chuckle every time I think it. :cheers:

Lord of Bling make me laugh out loud, then Lisa gave me a weird look. :looney:

Last edited:
What's the latest tim? How's it turning out?

I'm a go for the SR/DV portion and plan on attending the raffle/BBQ.

Not sure how much wheeling Ill end up doing.. Depends on how much I get done this week

What's the latest tim? How's it turning out?

I'm a go for the SR/DV portion and plan on attending the raffle/BBQ.

Not sure how much wheeling Ill end up doing.. Depends on how much I get done this week

Hey, its going great thank you. I am in the cool house just relaxing thinking of tuning into the HOF game. :rolleyes:

Why I can be so flip is that I took it to J&M Offroad to have them order and install the Heim joint. I know I could have done it but it seems that every time I do something on the Jeep I just end up opening a can of worms. Sound familiar? And I am going to Sierra Fest next Thursday!!!:cheers:
They are going over everything I have done to the rig since putting in the new axels so it can be aligned. They even said they would take it to be aligned so if something pops up they will know exactly what it is and take care of it.

This is not a budget friendly way to go but I have already over extended my mechanical abilities passed my comfort zone. I know it was the right thing to do because I have been working on this since March with no resolution. It seems as one weekend I work on it and find something that is needed. Order it. It is here by the next weekend. Install or try to install it the next weekend. I have repeated this for almost five months and I am done. :looney:

IT IS TIME TO WHEEL THIS POS!!!:NAXJA:

So I just heard from J&M and the official word is the Jeep is cleared to go. This is great news I am so stoked.

The other news is that they are not going to repack or replace the bearing and it does need to be done on the passage side and I need new upper ball joints. J&M said that they always replace both the uppers and lower at the same time. $1200 guesstiment for both sides.

So this means that I will be up at Hermit Valley Thursday afternoon to set up camp and help get ready for the weekend. :spin1:

Back