• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which FRS?

Mine will be here tomorrow, hand mic and car adapter showed up today, programming cable might not make it in time for WF but I have a friend who's a radio geek.

Nate, keep in mind that I know pretty much nothing about these, is there a way you can provide the file you'll be using to program to me so my I can ask my buddy to get it done ahead of time? If that's even the right nomenclature.

And that's the one I got, the 82.

But I should say thanks for supplying that link, I'll give it a shot!

The -82 doesn't like csv files, just be warned. I had to use a chirp img file.

funny thing. i went to program the second one that showed up and it would not take the img file. Different firmware.

I exported the list to .csv, downloaded the radio image and imported to the new image without any issues.

sucked because I had to go into the settings and check all the boxes.

so there's different firmwares floating out there. use caution flashing .img files without checking or you may brick it.

So some like the chirp better than csv, and vice versa?

Last edited:
chirp doesn't rightly care if you use a .csv or an img file, but the img file from a cloned radio has all of the advanced settings in it too.

the csv file is just a list of channels and names.

so just in case anyone was wondering about the potential from interference of not fcc approved configurations. We've discovered that channels 1-3 will turn on the paper shredder when keyed. Sometimes the letter folder too.
It's amusing.

funny thing. i went to program the second one that showed up and it would not take the img file. Different firmware.

I exported the list to .csv, downloaded the radio image and imported to the new image without any issues.

sucked because I had to go into the settings and check all the boxes.

so there's different firmwares floating out there. use caution flashing .img files without checking or you may brick it.

You definitely need to download from the radio before uploading. If you upload an image from the wrong daily build, bricked.

yeah, now that i have the csv file I'm just going to use that for all programming.

there may be some cute welcome messages too.

I got mine a few days ago. Was playing around with it the other night, and i had it talking to my 15 Winterfest supplied FRS, and my Railroad radio. I could also hear the crew unloading the coal train at the AEP power plant about 5 or so miles from my house. These things are pretty cool!

1f9a48ed0bd1aa9cf39f501c087f79c3.jpg

Sucks to be me, I wont be there until Friday evening.

accomodations will be made for friday night programming.

besides, yours is a special case anyway. Bring your extra channel list/offsets.

I'll show you how to put them in CHIRP so you can do it in the future.

accomodations will be made for friday night programming.

besides, yours is a special case anyway. Bring your extra channel list/offsets.

I'll show you how to put them in CHIRP so you can do it in the future.

Can I be part or the special Ed class :)

Back