• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which FRS?

BTaylor

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
There are only 432 results when searching for BaoFeng radios on Amazon lol.. which model is the one everyone was having success with last year? Or does it even matter?

click here

saved in my amazon wish list just for this question

I will get with my nerdy friend nate james and try to have something set up for anyone that wants theirs programmed at the event.

mac 'will give more info closer to the event for programming' gyvr

since we are on the radio topic...anyone have a battery recommendation? I want to get a bigger battery for mine.

^this

Many were still good from an initial charge at winterfest last year for a day on the trail at Redbird in November...

mac 'including the one in flex's jeep :( ' gyvr

click here

saved in my amazon wish list just for this question

I will get with my nerdy friend nate james and try to have something set up for anyone that wants theirs programmed at the event.

mac 'will give more info closer to the event for programming' gyvr

I will have a laptop with a programming cable and CHIRP.

takes 5 minutes a radio, plus however it takes for the mouth hug.

The battery on mine lasts for like 3 days. Spare batteries are probably cheaper and easier than a bigger battery.

^this

Many were still good from an initial charge at winterfest last year for a day on the trail at Redbird in November...

mac 'including the one in flex's jeep :( ' gyvr

I used mine for 2 days at the crawl and a full day at Redbird and it still showed 2 out of 3 bars of battery. The charger is quick too.

Shoot, I forgot I used mine in Harlan too.

mac 'lasts a while' gyvr

Nice. Guess this one it is.

Nate will be programming radios in my RV after Robbie's on Thursday night and prolly Friday after the potluck for later arrivals.

mac 'take your shoes off' gyvr

I may have to get me one of these. The freebies from last year work ok but I'm sure these work much better at farther distances?

Nate will be programming radios in my RV after Robbie's on Thursday night and prolly Friday after the potluck for later arrivals.

mac 'take your shoes off' gyvr

Are you going supervise all the mouth hugs? Make sure nobody cuts their time short

Strongly recommend and that's what we are using on the trails like last year.

mac 'not mandatory, but basically' gyvr

FRS is Family Radio Service. the more common radios are the little two way radios you can buy at wal mart or a sporting goods store. and no you can't reprogram your CB to use these frequencies

FRS is Family Radio Service. the more common radios are the little two way radios you can buy at wal mart or a sporting goods store. and no you can't reprogram your CB to use these frequencies

Thanks for the info. I will pick one up so i meet the "suggested requirements"

EDIT: After some amazon research ive concluded what these are. I saw someone mention Baofeng. I was looking at the UV5-R model. i saw those listed but i was thinking of going with Midlands GXT 1000VP4 series. Its a set and comes with charger included. But i see that you have to be able to program the frequency for the group.

Is that possibly by someone in the group or do we need a specific style radio for that?

Last edited:
We all know how to program the chinese one. If you can figure out how to use chirp to program the midlands one, the spreadsheet is available on the internet with the frequencies. But you have to do the work to figure out how to program it. The process we use for the UV5-R's is different.

Back