• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get keyed power from?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ and I'm looking for a good spot to get a keyed 12v source from... I'll be using it to switch a relay so the amperage of the source isn't a big deal. Ideally an under-the-hood location would be best but I can work with it if it's in the cab... it'll just be more wiring for me to run.

Thanks guys

Some XJ's came with a "smokers package", ie ash tray and lighter, as did my '98. The lighter ciruit is key powered. If you don't have a lighter, look behind the bezel to see if you can find the plug/pig tail for it....

I don't have any terminals on the side of my PDC except the main power in to the PDC from the battery and it definately isn't switched with the ignition...

Problem with the cigarette lighter is that it's inside the cab. :/ I'm hoping for something in the engine bay

Don't you have a fuse panel on the passenger's side kickpanel? Should be able to run a wire from there quite easily.

There's a few different options for "Keyed" power sources. RUN, ST-RUN, RUN-ACC, etc. Depends on when you want the circuit to be active. I like using ST-RUN (active with key in Run position and while Starting) which is a Dark Blue w/ White tracer. It can be found running back from your PCM, across the firewall, and up to your PDC. I tapped into it here:

100_8819.jpg

100_8811.jpg

Careful though, as you can see in the above pic, there's two DB/WT and one DB/GY that pass through that spot. The correct one should have continuity with pin A2 on Connector 1 on the PCM.

There's a few different options for "Keyed" power sources. RUN, ST-RUN, RUN-ACC, etc. Depends on when you want the circuit to be active. I like using ST-RUN (active with key in Run position and while Starting) which is a Dark Blue w/ White tracer. It can be found running back from your PCM, across the firewall, and up to your PDC. I tapped into it here:
Thanks for this bit of data. Looks kind of small to drive a lot of components. Do you put a relay on that and drive the other relays from battery power?

Thanks for this bit of data. Looks kind of small to drive a lot of components. Do you put a relay on that and drive the other relays from battery power?

It's an 18g wire on a 20 amp fuse originating from position 11 in the Junction Block. I only use it to activate the relay coils, not power the accessories themselves. Each relay coil only draws ~.16 amps so I'm not too worried about overloading the circuit.

I have been trying to fined "keyed power" in the engine bay for a while, I have to constantly go through the fire wall. Does the 96 year have the same setup with those color wires?

Any comment/opinion on solid state relay's vs. electromechanical relays? We're pulling a bunch at work and they're heading for the garbage unless I want em... I'm kinda wondering if they'll work in my engine bay.

Rated at: 12-36V input and 48-600V 25A output.

I'm assuming since they're solid state that they are more resiliant to water/corrosion and to vibration so I'm thinking they'll be ideal in the engine compartment but I've never used these before so I don't know if heat affects them much.

Are they worth keeping and installing or should I just stick with the regular old electromechanical relays that are everywhere?

I have been trying to fined "keyed power" in the engine bay for a while, I have to constantly go through the fire wall. Does the 96 year have the same setup with those color wires?

I'm sure 96 has a similar setup, but I'd imagine there's probably a difference in wire colors. Can't tell you for sure though, I only have a '99 FSM.

Any comment/opinion on solid state relay's vs. electromechanical relays?

Sorry, don't know anything about the solid state relays. I'd be curious too. Bring them home and play around with them! You can always throw them away later if they don't work...

Back