• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where are you?

Hallo you all.
I live just outside of Kongsvinger, south east in Norway for now, but withinn 2 years moving to Salir Do Porto in Portugal.
Fleeing from the harch climat, terrible wether and the extremly high prices on just about everything in Norway.

Beck Row, UK. Out of RAF Lakenheath for the next 3-4 years. Tried to find a good XJ or something when I got here to replace my stroker I sold, but the need to get to work drove me to getting something else for the time being.

Nice to see some more modified RHD XJ's.

How modified can you go in South Africa? Do you have annual vehicle safety inspections?

The UK inspection, the MoT, is probably going to fall into line with the majority of EU rules that effectively ban most modifications unless the modified vehicle is individually type approved.

If this change in law does come next year it will no longer be possible to modify a Jeep one part at a time as each non-original spec part will invalidate the MoT as soon as it is fitted and will have to go for an individual type approval test.

The UK government will have to create database of specifications for each vehicle to track and check unauthorised modifications. I'm not looking forward to putting my XJ through an individual type approval just to go from 35" tyres to 37" tyres. They don't just check the changed component, they check the whole vehicle again. It's expensive, time consuming, stressfull and a load of Bo***cks!

Nice to see some more modified RHD XJ's.

How modified can you go in South Africa? Do you have annual vehicle safety inspections?

The UK inspection, the MoT, is probably going to fall into line with the majority of EU rules that effectively ban most modifications unless the modified vehicle is individually type approved.

If this change in law does come next year it will no longer be possible to modify a Jeep one part at a time as each non-original spec part will invalidate the MoT as soon as it is fitted and will have to go for an individual type approval test.

The UK government will have to create database of specifications for each vehicle to track and check unauthorised modifications. I'm not looking forward to putting my XJ through an individual type approval just to go from 35" tyres to 37" tyres. They don't just check the changed component, they check the whole vehicle again. It's expensive, time consuming, stressfull and a load of Bo***cks!

Hi Vince

At the moment in SA we're still lucky - a vehicle only needs to go for a roadworthy inspection when it changes owner, prior to a licence disc being issued to the new owner, although there are murmurings of that changing to an annual inspection sometime soon...

But for now we can have fun...

Off topic: this seems to be the only part of the forum I can post in... is that because I'm not a local??

Probably. This forum area is for people like me that live outside of North America. Maybe the forum does geo-IP-location now.

No, the forum does not do geo-location. Please read the sticky at the top about forum supporters and registered users.

Hi guys.

Reporting in from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.

I've been a Jeep guy all of my life, and just picked up a 1990 Cherokee that needs some TLC.

I'm new to this beast, so I'm almost starting from scratch for part searches, specs, etc.

Let's see how it turns out.

Originally from Florida and Tennessee, but, thanks to the wonderful shape the US economy is in right now, I moved below the equator for business opportunities. I lived in Bogota, Colombia for 2 years until last month when I moved to a smaller city less than 2 hours from Bogota. This is a beautiful place on earth.

Bonjour.

I haven't been to Paris for a while. The last time I went was in 2010 to visit my nephew. I still haven't spent more than a day in the city and have never had the chance of exploring.

Are there still plenty of XJ's in France? They are thinning out very quickly in rural Wales. Sometimes I can go days without passing one on the road.

Back