• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats your gas mileage?

85cherokeechief said:
I get 7 city and it wont go fast enough to do the highway. This is with a 2.8l v6 and holley 4 barrel with 37's and 4.88 gears. Completely irrelevant, but that must make you all feel pretty good about your 4.0L's.

Yes that does give me some perspective on the whole matter. I have spent the past year trying to figure out where my gas is going. Thanks!

To all you people/members getting 20 miles per gallon f$^# OFF! I give up and will just live with inflation. I drive a jeep not a prius, i give up. :feeble:

Shit, u guys suck, im lucky to get like 9 or 10 in town. 88 stick tranny, stock. But i drive it like a race car. hasta

Im convirting to a hybred powertrain. Gonna get me some Lectric lawnmower moters and a bunch of cell phone batterys and then who will be getting the killer milage. Thinking of charging the bateries with solar. Use bio diesle made from veggie oil to supliment the lectric moter. And what Hybred would be compleat without a wind turbine powered AC.:us:

Just need to finnish my trailer to cary all them bateries.

15.5 MPG - 1995 4-dr, 4.0L, AX-15, 3.55, 6", 35" MTRs, etc.

21 MPG - when stock with 3.07 and 225/75R15

FWIW, I always fill the tank every time I get gas and write down the current mileage on the receipt. At home, I enter the info into a spreadsheet which is setup to calculate the mileage for each tank, average mileage for the month, and sum of how much I spend on gas each month. This has given me consistent results within +/-0.5 MPG and lets me notice any trends.

Last edited:
'89 4.0 auto. 4.5 inch lift with 33 inch aggressive tires. 10 mpg in town, who knows highway, don't drive it enough on the highway. I'm still using stock gears and drive in 3rd all the time. My speedo is off too since my tires are bigger than stock so i truly don't know what I get. I've replaced the O2 sensor and it runs great, I just get 200 miles to a tank of gas. Soon I'll be switching out axles and gears and then I'll correct the speedo.

XJedi23 said:
Im convirting to a hybred powertrain. Gonna get me some Lectric lawnmower moters and a bunch of cell phone batterys and then who will be getting the killer milage. Thinking of charging the bateries with solar. Use bio diesle made from veggie oil to supliment the lectric moter. And what Hybred would be compleat without a wind turbine powered AC.:us:

Just need to finnish my trailer to cary all them bateries.

be sure to do a complete write up on this conversion :)

JonnyK said:
FWIW, I always fill the tank every time I get gas and write down the current mileage on the receipt. At home, I enter the info into a spreadsheet which is setup to calculate the mileage for each tank, average mileage for the month, and sum of how much I spend on gas each month. This has given me consistent results within +/-0.5 MPG and lets me notice any trends.

Great minds think alike I do the exact same thing, works great lets me know how much i spend a month/year/life of ownership on gas.

96 Cherokee Classic 4.0
95 head: intake and exhaust ports matched to gasket; otherwise stock
Up Country 3.55 posi
255/70R15 Bridgestones
81,000 miles
15 mpg in town, 17 highway

BUT

I had a conversation with a hypermiler getting over 100 mpg out of his Honda hybrid, and took some of his advice:

I've slowed from 70 to 60 on the highway portion of my drive to work
I "jack-rabbit" less on starts.
I coast in neutral on big downhills
I anticipate stop lights and stop signs, throwing it into neutral and coasting up to them.
I shut it off when I'm in line at drive-throughs, etc.

I'm up to 20 mpg.

I could get more, if I followed all of his advice, but, shutting the engine off when I'm coasting on a downhill, for example, seems a little extreme, in my book. I have this thing about having steering and brakes.

TheInstaller said:
My 93 with 32's, stock 3.07's, spare on the roof gets 13 city/18 hwy which I think is respectable with the 196k miles it has.

EDIT: I am probably getting slightly better mileage than this, since I had not changed speedo gear from 31's to 32's.

Correction: On a trip last Friday, I used my GPS for navigation and was able to determine that the PO never changed the speedo gear for the 31's. My speed on the GPS was 10% higher than on the speedo. That means my mileage is even better than I thought.

Stock 98 xj sport running 4.0, 30's 21 +-1 mpg in town have yet to do enough freeway to count it...

God Bless the 5 speed :laugh2:

'99 Classic
APN header
Dynomax cat-back exh
hollow cat
cut open airbox
5.9L ZJ rims
ZJ rear disc brakes (less rolling resistance)
245/75/15 Revo's
4" lift
stock 3.55's
low 16's mixed driving, and I haven't gone on a road trip yet to see how much of a difference the header made. I just put it on 2 weeks ago.

1987 4.0 AW4 193k Bone Stock with 3:55's (for now)
I'm getting 19.8-19.5mpg on my commute (some city, some highway 65-70mph)

35s, 4.56 gears, bumpers, open air intake, flowmaster, and I get about 14 around town and up to 16 on the freeway.

It's pretty cool that it is actually cheaper to drive my diesel dodge ram now than it is my XJ, I get about 18 mpg in the dodge and diesel is 24 cents a gallon cheaper here in Utah.....

Back