• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats your gas mileage?

jrock said:
I get about 17-18 city and at least 25 highway- '87 4.0L and 5 speed, completely stock, some spirited driving here and there and usually going 70-75 on the freeway. AMC must have done something right.

how the hell do you get 25 mpg on the freeway driving 70-75 mph with a 4.0L?
maybe your commute is downhill both ways?

Shomsky462 said:

X2

I feel pretty good about my 14.5 combined, since im on 31's with a 6" lift and 3.73 gears, and I do betweenn 75-80mph the entire time. If 20+ is in my future I would glady slow down a hair and regear. ahh who am I kidding, I'll just regear.

When I keep it under 65 on the freeway I get around 22mpg but if I go 70+
I drop down to around 12-13. The XJ is not a very aerodynamic toaster and the gas milage pays for it @ higher speeds

When I was stock I got about 22 to 23 highway with a 5 speed (3.07 gears). With my 6.5" lift, 33's, and 4:56 gears I get 17 to 18 highway.

When I put on the air intake and cat back systems I saw no difference with my fuel mileage. The vehicles performance improved, but I have yet to see a savings at the pump with my Jeep or with my truck for that matter (Gibson dual, K&N intake and Hypertech programmer).

i have an unmodded 2000 limited (auto) that tells me the mileage for the tank..
i assume these are accurate since it will tell you instant mpg as your driving if you stop it actually says zero :D
anyways.
on the highway 22-23 (70-75mph)
on my way to work i get 21 which is mostly highway some stoplights
average on a tank with an even mix of highway and city about 19.
that mileage computer in the console really makes you watch how you drive( i have to change the view to direction and temp, so i quit watching it :D ). by the way when i drive like 35 i get like 22 mpg. that i thought was weird.. but it makes since no wind resistance and the motor is not under any real load.

Last edited:
two things I have learned, men will lie about the fuel economy they get and the size of thier ____.

Stock XJ with manual tranny may get close to 20 mpg, and that may improve with elavation but here at sea level I get 16.5mpg with my 88 auto, 3.55 and 33's and the bride gets 15.5 with her 99 stock auto 3.55, she drives a little more spirited than I.

Shomsky462 said:

The Renix with the Manual is actually quite efficient. I had an '88 with 31" MT's, 3: lift and 4.10's that got 20-21 for mostly highway driving and got 24 mpg once. It never dropped below 19 mpg. The 4.0 loves higher RPM's.

Oh, My '97 with 35's, auto, 7" lift, rear detroit, 4.56 gears and spirited driving gets 14 -17 mpg. I've never broken 17 in it because I can't stay below 70 mph for very long.:D

Driving to Moab fully Loaded it gets 14.5 mpg at 75-85 mph. That's at 25 psi. I think I'll air up a little next time and check it out.

jrock said:
I get about 17-18 city and at least 25 highway- '87 4.0L and 5 speed, completely stock, some spirited driving here and there and usually going 70-75 on the freeway. AMC must have done something right.

Bullsh!t

Edit: everyone in here who has said they get 22-25 mpg are either full of it, cant comprehend simple math, or have some secret juice their using, and it sure as hell ain't nail polish remover!

Last edited:
'91 stock 4.0L AW4 auto, 3.55 gears, 30" AT's, get around 14 mpg. Pretty much exclusively around town stop and go driving.

I will re-set my trip odometer, top off the tank and pay attention nexy time I take a long highway drive, it'll probably improve by a couple mpg.

It's to bad this isn't set up as a graphical poll so we could easily see what everyone is getting. I'm not sure what I'm getting, but last time I checked, it was around 13mpg.

My 93 with 32's, stock 3.07's, spare on the roof gets 13 city/18 hwy which I think is respectable with the 196k miles it has.

EDIT: I am probably getting slightly better mileage than this, since I had not changed speedo gear from 31's to 32's.

Last edited:
99 with 3" lift, front winch bumper, stock 3.55s, 31" BFG A/Ts, gets a combined 13.8 on the computer which is calculated for stock tires, so....maybe in the 14 mpg range.
I live in hilly country. There is no way I would ever see 20mpg, the wifes 98 stocker doesn't even do that.

I get about 10 to 13 city ,4.88 33s 6inch lift pacetter header, k&n ,brand new crate motor less than 5000 miles. I think the people getting high mileage dot have an accurate speedometer maybe from a gear or tire change and didn't change speedo gear

when I first got my Jeep a year ago it was barely pulling 12mpg combined city/highway (96 4.0l automatic/stock) now its getting around 15mpg, i don't really expect much better than that, sometimes it shocks me and pulls 17mpg :yelclap: but its rare.

First tank with new gears I got around 10mpg... Hopefully the next one is better.

1987 4.0, auto. 6.5" lift, 4.88 gears, 35" MT/R's.

I get 19.5 driving at 72 mph on the highway.

I get about 17 around town driving nice.

I get about 14.5 putting my foot into it.

When I had 4.56 gears, 4.5" lift and 32's, i was getting 21/19/17.

Borla header, 2.5" exhaust with hi-flow (sometimes hollow) cat and flowmaster made no difference.

Bored out throttle body made no difference

Air tube intake made no difference.

I think it ran better all stock. Only mod still on it is the exhaust.

Back