• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats my 44 worth

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
what could a person expect to sell a xj44 rear for? in good shape with stock gearing

Approx. $200.00 in New England.........

sorry i tried a search couldnt find anything and i need a quick answer, i have a 44 in my waggy now. I want to go to 410 gears. I was considering the ford 88 swap, but i was just looking at craigslist and found a 93 8.25 from a 4cyl cherokee for 100 bucks, and was wondering how this would compare to the 44? im going to be running 31's and probably will never go over 33's.

i've seen them go as much as $350 around here on ebay (locally) and craigs list - people really think these things are such a good rear when in all reality i'll just keep my comments to myself LOL

sorry i tried a search couldnt find anything and i need a quick answer, i have a 44 in my waggy now. I want to go to 410 gears. I was considering the ford 88 swap, but i was just looking at craigslist and found a 93 8.25 from a 4cyl cherokee for 100 bucks, and was wondering how this would compare to the 44? im going to be running 31's and probably will never go over 33's.

It is a down grade in my opinion.

The XJ 44 has 30 SPL axles and a non C-clip axle.

The 93 8.25 is a C-clip axle and 27 SPL axles.

You can change out the side gears and shafts from a 97+ 8.25 to get a 29 SPL, but why? It will still be a C-clip axle. Keep the 44 and run it.

I guess it depends on where you live...I've seen them go for up to $325 or so around here.

I think I paid 225 for mine stock gearing/shafts etc

i've seen them go as much as $350 around here on ebay (locally) and craigs list - people really think these things are such a good rear when in all reality i'll just keep my comments to myself LOL

You already know around here they figure a used jeep is worth more than a new one LOL... All of ours I bought out of state, ZJ=NJ, TJ=NJ, TJ=CT, I went thru craigslist in our area looking for a TJ, seems a 97 or 98 TJ SE with a 4 banger and 5 speed costs two grand more than a same year Sahara or Sport in NJ.

It is a down grade in my opinion.

The XJ 44 has 30 SPL axles and a non C-clip axle.

The 93 8.25 is a C-clip axle and 27 SPL axles.

You can change out the side gears and shafts from a 97+ 8.25 to get a 29 SPL, but why? It will still be a C-clip axle. Keep the 44 and run it.

+1

If the 44 is already installed and functions fine, there's no reason to downgrade.

Of course, if you're hellbent, I'll trade ya. :D

a 97+ 8.25 to get a 29 SPL, but why? It will still be a C-clip axle. Keep the 44 and run it.

You can't change out just the side gears, you have to have the carrier machined to accept the gears.. its a lot of work. :)

You can't change out just the side gears, you have to have the carrier machined to accept the gears.. its a lot of work. :)

Just put an auburn LSD in, it is the carrier then slide in 29 spline axles.

From what I've seen it's not really an issue of price, but of availability. 8.25s and D35s are easy to come by. D44s are a chance find. I paid $200 for mine from an off-the-beaten-path 4x4 salvage yard (with me pulling it).

I think they can get quite a bit more once refreshed - especially if you add a locker, disk brakes, etc...

stock go for as much as 350 here in socal... but those are sucker prices...

going from 44 to a 8.25 is backwards, but you'll be fine w/ 31's.... so dont let people talk you out of it, if finances/convienience push you in that direction.

stock go for as much as 350 here in socal... but those are sucker prices...

going from 44 to a 8.25 is backwards, but you'll be fine w/ 31's.... so dont let people talk you out of it, if finances/convienience push you in that direction.

I wonder how a 9 1/4 would work out of another chrysler.

Back