• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Re: What was done to YOUR rig today MECHANICALY????

Removed, drilled, and reinstalled the CPS, one more time, $%#@&^%$#@#$$ on the 89. I can now swap a CPS blindfolded!

got my new cb mount fabbed up

IMAG0084.jpg

she started pissing coolant out again, i learned with the A/C on it doesnt leak, but anything other then A/C or even the knob on heat it'll leak.

Removed, drilled, and reinstalled the CPS, one more time, $%#@&^%$#@#$$ on the 89. I can now swap a CPS blindfolded!

I've never heard of drilling a cps before. What does that accomplish?

Changed trans filter and OD solenoid(spelling)...turned off CEL on my 98'DD, will test drive to see if all fixed now...lol

Got some coil isolators put in. Installing them over 4.5" coils without spring compressors is fun.

Changed trans filter and OD solenoid(spelling)...turned off CEL on my 98'DD, will test drive to see if all fixed now...lol

all is well, no more cel....lol

did u have fun will? when i added my spacers we dropped the axle...lol

I've never heard of drilling a cps before. What does that accomplish?

87-90 Renix XJs are notorious for weak CPS signal voltage. Drilling out the mounting bracket holes on the CPS itself to one drill bit size larger than stock allows you to bolt the CPS down a little closer to the flexplate that the CPS reads, and gets its signal from. Doing so nearly doubles the output voltage and eliminates no start problems where even a new CPS will not fire up (no fuel and no spark as the ECU can not reliably detect the CPS signal, even on a new CPS).

Seems the dealerships were even doing it way back in the day, and seems the CPS was never redesigned to solve the problem.

Got some coil isolators put in. Installing them over 4.5" coils without spring compressors is fun.

Back in 1973 and old timer (he was Cherokee Indian, full blooded) was teaching my first lessons in auto mechanics. He was a real character. He told me about the day he was under a car working on it, and he had a spring compressor holding onto the coil spring, compressed, when he heard a very loud bang, like an explosion, followed by more loud bangs. As the coil came loose it blew a huge hole in the front fender then bounced off the shop ceiling and walls about a dozen times before it stopped bouncing around. He stayed under the car in hiding till it stopped. Scared the Chit out of him. I have always had a huge respect for those coil springs ever since hearing that story. By the way it was an old 40's era car, back when car bodies had real metal, thick heavy metal on the bodies, not that paper thin junk they use now!

My next car had torsion bar suspension!

Took my front bumper off

IMG_20110301_171818.jpg

And found some damage from an accident I was in over 3 years ago.

IMG_20110301_171828.jpg

IMG_20110301_171850.jpg

Installed my Trans cooler today. In a "hindsight is 20/20" moment, I realized that when I built the new front cross member for my leafs I didn't leave any room to rout my cooler lines from the front of the radiator down to inside the frame. I have the lines routed outside the frame at the moment untill I figure out something a little more permanent. I also got my new shackles for the front, and got my tail light boxes with LED's.

I boughtbought a package of those nut fittings that hold the bumper on when I was redoing the MJ if you need some.

Nah no need for them. Thanks though. Only concern I have now is the slight damage to the frame. Need to try and get the mounting plates for the new bumper on to see how had it affects install.

well i put on some rock lights this past weekend. but today i put on a rear wiper arm causse my jeep didnt have one when i got it. paid a total of 5 bucks for arm and a band spanking new wiper blade from pick n pull in cabot. future plans are to install my new backup lights and paint the jeep desert tan

replaced distributor, plugs, wires only to find out my exhaust manifold has a giant crack running through it.......my god this thing is a money pit!

Back