• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of gas milage are you gettin

What kind of milage do you get?

• Total voters
I'm currently getting an average of 14-15mpg in mostly-mixed town/L.A. jammed freeway driving. I'm stock apart from 225/75R16 tires on (stock) 3.55 axles. New Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, Fram AirHog air filter.

On open runs, I usually manage 17-18mpg; a recent run back from Las Vegas got 21mpg on a downhill with 80mph cruising speeds. I see 4.10 D44s in my somewhat distant future.

Minneapolis MN to Montrose CO with camping gear and stuff. 1278 total miles, 18.8 MPG for the trip at 65 MPH. 3" lift, 4.0 auto with 3.55 gears and 30 x 9.5 - 15 MTR's. With the stock tires I got over 20 on the highway. I get about 14-15 in the city.

1990XJ4x4 said:
Its not just that we can't afford gears, but its also kind of hard to install them when the only place you can work on your jeep is in the dorm parking lot.
im working outta the dorm parking lot... i just made friends that have shops... =)

that was a top priority for me. Besides, i really wouldnt be putting gears in myself unless i was damn sure i knew what i was doing and someone who had done it before (sucessfuly) was there to help.

if your in the parking lot, put your jeep on jacktands, pull the axles (pull the calipers on the front and plug the rear line) then pull everything off the axle, and throw it on the tarp in the back of the XJ, then have a buddy take the axle/3rd to a shop, then replace when done...

no one wil steal an XJ on jackstands, and what it the university going to do? tow it?

that is mostly a joke, but i could see myself doing it with my front end... (when i need gears for that)

Got 18 on the way to Indiana and about 21 on the drive home last weekend. I think some of the reason it came out that way is because of some highway time at a constant speed ("blew the carbon out of it") and buying "better" gas in rural Indiana (100% gasoline vs 10% ethenol emmisions gas.)

Just got back from a screamin trip to Ohio (trip back to Iowa was 550 miles and I made it back in less than 8 hours including driving through Chicago :wow: . 1075 miles (total including some 20 miles running around town) and came up with 20.45 MPG. Stock 98 4.0/auto 3.55 gears (stock exhaust, stock Mopar replacement plug wires/cap/rotor, Champion plugs. On the trip home I ran new 235/70R15 Cooper Discover A/T which replaced some generic 225/75r15 Trailcat All Seasons. It gets around 16 when my wife drives it around town and to work.

Travis

Last edited:
on my last trip from slc to bear lake (about 270 miles thought the canyons pulling a trailer) i got about 21 mpg my jeep now has 3.5 lift 31 tires stock gears holley raptor muff and a really good tune up.=)

I have a 85 2dr, 2.5, 4 speed 4X4. Totaly stock. No options, cheapest one ever built. Bought it new now has 142245 miles on it.
It gets 22.4 round town not much better on highway. Just had 2nd repaint.

I just took a small trip, bout 100 miles or so, driving 65mph, 95 XJ, bald 30" tires, no lift, and needs a tune up, got roughly 17mpg or so. Town mileage drops though.

jrsxj98 said:
update with the 4.88's and 33's- 16.8 on highway (to moab and back) 14.3 around town.
which tranny? aw4 or ax 15?

My speedo was also corrected by moving to 30" tires. I have checked, double checked and triple checked against GPS, mile markers and radar and I am always dead on (at least well below the margin of error).

Also realize that not every gas pump stops at the same place, i.e. if you fill up your tank just until the pump auto-stops the first time, you will not always be filling up all the way, and sometimes you will overfill. This can cause drastic changes in MPG. For instance, if one station cuts off at 19 gal. while another lets you put in 21 gal (which is possible, since a "20 gal." tank can hold more - they have to leave some extra room for thermal expansion. I've have *heard* that the actual total volume is more like 25 gal. I have no way to back this up) then you have actually used 10% less gas than you might think. This is just another factor in making accurate MPG calculations. I would add at least a "+-2 mpg" to every number you see here (even mine at the bottom), depending on method of calculation and available information (I.e. +-2 mpg to most accurate measurements).

But that's just me, YMMV. pun intended.

for the record: city driving: 12-16 mpg, 13 typical, highway 17-19, 18 typical. Best observed: 23 (Utah - Texas; downhill+tailwind) Worst observed: 3! (Fin's and Thing's + Hell's Revenge@ Moab; not a full tank measurement)
00', 4.0, aw4, 30" BFG AT's, 3.55's, 2" lift.

I get around 8. :) that is with 36"TSLs 5.13 gears and never getting out of low range. Don't see the highway so who knows what it'll get on the highway.

'85 XJ 2 door, highly modified 2.5, 904 auto, 4.88's, 33's...19 mpg average on highway at 65 mph cruise speed....as little as 8 mpg when wheeling.

'91 MJ, completely stock, 4.0 HO, AW4...17 mpg with a heavy foot average.

It's kind of hard to tell from all of these various posts and different methods of calculating MPG who's getting truely the best bang for their buck. :)

My question is for those of you with different gearing: did you see MPG increases or decreases after making the changes? I know that different engine mods are proven to affect the MPG, but how do 4.10's, 4.56's, 4.88's, etc affect the MPG in the real world?

Back