• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of gas milage are you gettin

What kind of milage do you get?

• Total voters
Inisadow said:
Johnny when your jeep is reading E on the fuel gauge and the little warning light comes on it means you have 2gallons left in the tank. I know when I fill up and the arrow is at E and the light hasn't come on I only need 15-16 gallons to fill the tank up. 15-20=5gallons left. My last really long trip when I was stock I drove 300miles before filling up, and only had to put 15.5 gallons in the tank to fill her up. 300/15.5=19.354. Also keep in mind fuel gauges in cars are not always very accurate, best way to find out how much gas you got left is to fill your tank up completely so you know you have 20gallons in there and subtract how much it takes to fill the tank up again after driving it to see how much gas you actually had left.

Your estimate leaves a lot of room for error. I like to know my mpg so I know how the jeep is running if there is a big drop I can ask myself if I have been driving her harder or something is not right in the engine etc. etc. why not be precise when you can be?

Thanks. I'm obviously not making my point clear. I was using the Vegas/280 miles per tank thing for the purpose of making a comparison. Let's throw out the whole calculation/estimation argument. Calculating is obviously more accurate. As a matter of fact, I calculated that I got about 16 mph on a recent road trip to Canada. But that is irrelevant to my point of contention.

Let's say I drive towards Vegas with a full tank. And I drive up Interstate 15 until I run out of gas. Let's say I go 300 miles. Theoretically, someone who claims to get 25 mph will travel approximately 500 miles before they run out of gas.

I find that very hard to believe. THAT is what I have an issue with. Maybe I can't believe it because it never has (and never will) happen to me. :D

XJ_ranger said:
i like the way all the "poor college kids" cant afford gears, but they can afford to eat gas twice as fast...
just an observation...

Its not just that we can't afford gears, but its also kind of hard to install them when the only place you can work on your jeep is in the dorm parking lot.

99 XJ, 4.0L Auto, stock 3.55 gears, 33" MT/Rs. I get 14.5 MPG city, 16 MPG at 75 MPH, 18 MPG at 65 MPH. Speedo is right on according to my GPS (less than 1% off).

Prior to any mods I was getting 17 city/22 hwy.

xjohnnyc said:
Thanks. I'm obviously not making my point clear. I was using the Vegas/280 miles per tank thing for the purpose of making a comparison. Let's throw out the whole calculation/estimation argument. Calculating is obviously more accurate. As a matter of fact, I calculated that I got about 16 mph on a recent road trip to Canada. But that is irrelevant to my point of contention.

Let's say I drive towards Vegas with a full tank. And I drive up Interstate 15 until I run out of gas. Let's say I go 300 miles. Theoretically, someone who claims to get 25 mph will travel approximately 500 miles before they run out of gas.

I find that very hard to believe. THAT is what I have an issue with. Maybe I can't believe it because it never has (and never will) happen to me. :D

Technically I should be able to go almost 400miles tell the tank is dry it's just I would rather not run the tank dry :) mb I all try it one day when I got a couple jerry cans of gas.

XJ_ranger said:
i like the way all the "poor college kids" cant afford gears, but they can afford to eat gas twice as fast...
just an observation...

well think about the fact that we are living paycheck to paycheck, and we can't not drive to work/school. So you have to be using gas up and yet you have to pay more for gas when your mpg suck so you can not save up for lower gears. This is why I am saving up for gears right now and still getting 18mpg on average, and getting tires and lift after I get gears. I am patient I can wait to save up for my mods. Most people need that instant gratification of big tires but if you set your rig up right you can be just as effective with small tires.

Inisadow said:
well think about the fact that we are living paycheck to paycheck, and we can't not drive to work/school. So you have to be using gas up and yet you have to pay more for gas when your mpg suck so you can not save up for lower gears. This is why I am saving up for gears right now and still getting 18mpg on average, and getting tires and lift after I get gears. I am patient I can wait to save up for my mods. Most people need that instant gratification of big tires but if you set your rig up right you can be just as effective with small tires.
something i couldnt do, i hve 31's with sucky gas mileage, will have 33's in a few months. as i type this i am getting 4.56's installed :)

Roll-over said:
WOW!!! and how long did THAT trip take??? :doh:
:D LOL...I was tired when I typed that.

xjohnnyc said:

Yes, they (I) can. You happen to get crappy mileage. 25mpg is very good, but certainly not unbelieveable. I don't remember what, but some new XJ sized SUV is advertising 26mpg.

Inisadow said:
well think about the fact that we are living paycheck to paycheck, and we can't not drive to work/school. So you have to be using gas up and yet you have to pay more for gas when your mpg suck so you can not save up for lower gears.

HOLLA!!!!

We could always buy gears for the rear and then wait 2 months and buy gears for the front. That would cause four-wheel drive issues though. And since I'd have to get my gears set, why don't I just through a locker in the rear at the same time? Well, thats at least $600 I don't have, muchless 3 monthly payments.

mine sucks gas like a pig
2.8 5spd 3.5" lift 33x12.50 tires 200lbs of winch and bumper and about 200lbs of tools and subs in hatch
240 kilometers 50 liters
corrected for 33" tires(15%) = 276 kilometers x .62 conversion to miles = 171miles
50 liters 3.78 liters in a gallon = 13.25 gallons
so that would work out to 13 miles to a gallon as long as all my metric conversion numbers are right (someone tell me if they are or not)

thats with a heavy foot, city driving and a shitty carb (when i stomp on it i can smell the gas) and a daily driver to boot

my 94 will get about 20-21? on the highway now. I put on a tbs from powerdyne and it made a difference, especially at 65+..The other thing i did was made a cold air induction using peices from and rx-7, and using sheet metal to build a shield around it. big difference..

My XJ was getting me about 8-9MPG if I was lucky, thats why I sold it (sence it was my dailydriver)

Spec's:

1989 4.0L
AW4

4.56 gears
33x10.50 BFG MT's
Detroit rear, lock-right front
full exo cage and partial internal cage

70% of the front bumper was 3/16" plate and the rest was 1/4" plate, the entire rear bumper was 1/4" plate and the rock rails were made out of 3/16" plate. The roll cage was .120 wall 1.75" OD HREW tubeing. It was a HEAVY XJ

I just put on a RE5.5, 35's, 4.88, 39tooth speedo gear and i'm getting 11.5 city drivin'....it blows balls. I definately need to do something to get my mpg back up. My speedo is only off by about 2mph compared to gps. I went from 18mpg to 11.5mpg in one shot. :bawl:

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:
just an observation...

I like the way all the "poor college students" are just stupid.

Ride your bike to campus and to work. Don't go out for burgers all the time. Learn to cook. Find a local guy who can do gears cheap. Call around and find the best deal on gears. Borrow money from your folks. Borrow money from the bank. Borrow money from your friends. Gear your junk. Suck it up.

Oh yeah, '94, 4.0L/AW-4, RE 5.5", 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, ~15MPG.

My 2000 With 4.0 flowmaster AW4 3.55 Open diff and 30x9.50 15 AT tires gets 15 to 19 depending on conditions running th dog pee out of it.

Back