• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's and MPG What do you get? Fun thread forming!

I have been planning on posting a tech thread on how to increase mpg on a XJ. I am still gathering data but so far it does not look to good. I might as well just put what I have on this thread and call it good because I figure the XJ will allways get shit for mpg and if I want to get better mpg I might as well by a prius. So that being said below is what I have so far.

1. 2000 XJ 4.0lt (4.10 gears, 33X12.5 ATS, 2,900 lbs, track lock rear, hack n tap, conferr roof rack, air hog cleaner, 32 psi inflation) 12.5 mpg hwy

2. (4.10 gears, 33X12.5 ATS, 2,900 lbs, track lock rear, hack n tap, conferr roof rack, air hog cleaner, 35 psi inflation) 12.8 mpg hwy

3. (4.10 gears, 33X12.5 ATS, 2,900 lbs, track lock rear, hack n tap, conferr roof rack, air hog cleaner, 23 psi inflation, warn lock out hubs, true track front, warn premium in and outer axles and new front drive shaft) 10.8 mpg hwy

4. (4.10 gears, 33X12.5 ATS, 2,900 lbs, track lock rear, hack n tap, conferr roof rack, air hog cleaner, 32 psi inflation, warn lock out hubs, true track front, warn premium in and outer axles and new front drive shaft) 14.8 mpg hwy

That is what I have so far. I added lucas injector cleaner to the tank of gas that I am running at the current moment to see if it helps clean the injectors a little. I am running the stock D30 LP and 8.25 rear, with a full size spare tire and 6" FT long arm kit. I noticed some one said they were getting 28 - 32 mpg on this thread, I find that very hard to swallow. I think the best the XJ can do in stock form would 19 - 20 mpg. Other things I plan on doing are fuel catalist, new exhaust, and a computer chip of some sort. This will be an on going project so one day when I finally finish all my mods I will post. By then I probably have added tube fenders, front bumper, winch, EXO, on board air, welder and rear locker and all the research on mpg will not mean shit.

Every week someone starts this thread over again.

Learn to use the search button.

Yeah but this one is a "fun thread", didn't you see the title? :rolleyes:

Lets see, last tank i got about 18.. The tank before after loading jeep on trailer and driving to johnson valley ... (Almost 100 miles later still on full) Unloaded jeep and played all day.. Maybe 100 miles again... Reloaded jeep and came home, again about 100 miles..So 300 miles, 6.2 gallons of gas used...Lets see, thats about.. Chit screw it.. ALOT per gallon right.. LOL:roflmao::moon:

10.5mpg city. I don't get it on the highway enough to have a good number, usually when I do it's loaded to the gills for a desert expedition, but 12mpg is about what it gets I think. I've checked my ODO against a GPS. 4.5/5" lift, 33 BFG MTs, 4.88, safari rack w/spare tire on it.

~5" of lift, full width 44/9" with stock Ford 3.50 gears, 33" TSL's. Drove ~3000 miles to Moab and back averaging 17-19 mpg. Pretended OD didn't exist to keep the rpm's in the "happy" range of 2000-2500 on the freeway.

Back