• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of gas milage are you gettin

What kind of milage do you get?

• Total voters
From 13.5mpg in town to 17.3mpg on the highway. I have a 95 stock 4.0 engine, 3" Rustys lift with 31x10.5x15 BFG AT, 5spd with 3.55 gears.

Last time I filled up I checked my mileage guage versus added gallons and got 21 mpg in my stock rig with 235 tires.
I drove mostly on highway, but I also had a 4 hour wheelin trip during which I got stuck a couple times, and my water pump is going out and I overheated twice.
I couldn't believe it, I'm calculating my average again this tank to be sure that this was correct.

Rough 01 said:
This leads me to believe that the factory sets the speedo to read faster than actual speed on the 225 stock tires.

My '96 with really really really worn 225 tires is about 3mph fast according to my GPS. Interestingly, the odometer agrees with my GPS 100%.

Loaded down for our Rubicon trip this year, I averaged 19 mpg with the roof loaded, the interior loaded and two guys bringing the total wait to 4850. I'm running 32" MT's, 4.10's 4.0, AW4 and AC. The drive down and back was about 1700 miles in average 90+ degree weather. Not too shabby....

About 22 MPG average with 235s, 3.07, 5 speed, and 2 in lift. Mileage typically ranges between 21 and 24. Drive dirt roads and secondary highways (2 lane) at approx 5000ft. Not bad for a 95 with over 160K miles.

I'm sorry, but I have to call :bs: on some of the numbers here. I don't know how y'all are figuring out your mileage.

But...how many miles can you go on the highway on one tank of gas? I know that I can get from home to Vegas on one tank. That's 280 miles. Divided by a 20 gallon tank comes to 14 mpg.

According to some of the numbers posted here, people are getting 400-500 on one tank of gas. Meaning you could drive coast-to-coast on 5 tankfuls.

I get 14.8 mpg adjusted for the 9% increase in tire circumfrence but reading some of the posts here, going with bigger tires might make the Odometer more accurate? I get 13.6 mpg straight off the odometer. This is a '99 5 speed with 31's.

I got 18.5 mpg average in my stock '95 and I recall going over 300 miles before fillup regularly. I rarely go over 250 miles now. Anyways mpg needs to be calculated (miles per gallon) and not estimated (miles per tankful) because I doubt anyone rolls into the gas station on fumes every time they fill up. The most I've EVER put into my '99's tank is 18.748 gallons and that was with the needle WAY past E.

xjohnnyc said:
But...how many miles can you go on the highway on one tank of gas? I know that I can get from home to Vegas on one tank. That's 280 miles. Divided by a 20 gallon tank comes to 14 mpg.
Do you go from a full tank to completely dry in that trip? I doubt it. Fill it up in Vegas, drive home, note the miles and then note how many gallons it took to get back to the same level (aka full). Miles travelled divided by gallons needed to refill it = mpg. It has nothing to do with the size of the tank...

I hear what you guys are saying, but you're missing my point. The best gas mileage will be all highway. Add in any city driving at all and your mileage will drop. So the Vegas thing is a best case scenario. Calculating miles per tankful is only one way of ESTIMATING miles per gallon. And I'll be the first to admit that my calculation is a very rough estimation. But I did so as a comparison.

And yes, I can get to Vegas on fumes with the needle below E. Granted, I probably have some gas left in the tank. I'm just arguing that my ESTIMATED MPG is more realistic than others'.

Last edited:
I guess so - that's why I calculate my mileage instead of guesstimating it.

Im getting 10 or so around town and 11-12 on the freeway, I think. I have a '89 with a 4.0 auto and 4.5'' of lift on 32 MTRs on stock gearing. It depends on how hard I drive and if there are any hills. Worst Ive gotten was 8 mpg when I was going up lots of hills.

i used to get around 20, then i added skids, lift, and soon tires. right now i get 18 with skids that are empty, 17 with skids ful of mud, and about .5 when im crawling in the sierras (back when im home in CA)

i like the way all the "poor college kids" cant afford gears, but they can afford to eat gas twice as fast...
just an observation...

bone stock on 235/75-15s i get 18 city, 25 highway. the eventual plan is 6wd, 3 d44 axles, ~4.20 diffs, supercharged 318 under the hood, maybe +2000 to the curb weight.
After all of that i expect 15c/20h

I get about 12-15 with 6.5" lift 33" tires 4:10 gears and a locked rear end. I have a magna flow exhast system and k&n filter.

you guys that are lifted and big tires and stock gears..... Did you change your speedometer gear? You'd be getting better mileage than what it says if you haven't. Your Odometer is slow now.

xjohnnyc said:
I hear what you guys are saying, but you're missing my point. The best gas mileage will be all highway. Add in any city driving at all and your mileage will drop. So the Vegas thing is a best case scenario. Calculating miles per tankful is only one way of ESTIMATING miles per gallon. And I'll be the first to admit that my calculation is a very rough estimation. But I did so as a comparison.

And yes, I can get to Vegas on fumes with the needle below E. Granted, I probably have some gas left in the tank. I'm just arguing that my ESTIMATED MPG is more realistic than others'.

Johnny when your jeep is reading E on the fuel gauge and the little warning light comes on it means you have 2gallons left in the tank. I know when I fill up and the arrow is at E and the light hasn't come on I only need 15-16 gallons to fill the tank up. 15-20=5gallons left. My last really long trip when I was stock I drove 300miles before filling up, and only had to put 15.5 gallons in the tank to fill her up. 300/15.5=19.354. Also keep in mind fuel gauges in cars are not always very accurate, best way to find out how much gas you got left is to fill your tank up completely so you know you have 20gallons in there and subtract how much it takes to fill the tank up again after driving it to see how much gas you actually had left.

Your estimate leaves a lot of room for error. I like to know my mpg so I know how the jeep is running if there is a big drop I can ask myself if I have been driving her harder or something is not right in the engine etc. etc. why not be precise when you can be?

Last edited:
16 in town, 23 ish on hwy. 00 sport 3.55's-235's (dd- air intake helped)
88 cheif - I don't want to talk about it.

Wow, this sucks. I drive like an old lady and have gotten 19.49 MPG over the last 8 tanks. I drive 90%+ highway. If I get into it at all or haul a$$ I get like 17.5 MPG. '01 4.0 AW4 231 3.55 225/75R15.

Back