• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What else can I use this for?

Mark & I are on the same page here. I use mine constantly on the trails, especially on descents. With the lack of compression braking because of the automatic the e-brake works really well to help with the really steep down hills. It also helps keep the rear end from feeling like it's going to come up over the top of you because you don't get the nose dive with hitting the front brakes hard. As for saftey, what happens when you're on a nasty hill climb & you rip a brake line? Ask Brian Harmon about his experience with this. I garantee you would wish you had spent the extra time to put an e-brake in once you start rolling backwards down the trail. You'd be begging for something to grab other than the seat with your butt cheaks. For those of you who would come back with, "I'll just throw it in park", you're going to have an exciting ride backwards down the hill. A line lock won't do you much good in a ripped brake line situation either. Don't be a back woods hack... Fix your brakes!

Matt

hehehe Ive driven around with a few different vehicles that accidently still had the parking brake on, and I never even noticed. I've never used mine, never intend to.....

Ibexj said:
Mark ... do you have a modified e-brake system or is yours stock? If stock, how much time do you spend adjusting it to make sure it really is working well?

Les

PS: Man ... you set yourself up with your choice of words.

Stock kind of, Just install it right and it works fine, I do have ford discs in the back. Most say they have problems with it but mine works. It is just added safty to the whole system.

Yes, the words are good at times! :D

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Stock, Just install it right and it works fine, I do have ford discs in the back. Most say they have problems with it but mine works. It is just added safty to the whole system.

Yes, the words are good at times! :D

hinkley

I have the ford disc in the rear (8.8). The emergency brakes are much better with this set-up than the e-brakes that were in the 8.25. Mine work fine too.

Les

PS: Farmer Matt makes a very good point ...

Matt and Mark I understand what your saying but its alot like wearing a reserve "chute" when jumping from from 600' , It makes you feel better but chances are it aint gonna save your life.I havent run one in 4 years and have been thru one MC failure, just drive! Flame suit on!!
Led

Yep, FarmerMatt is right on the money.

I also swapped to the Caddy caliper brake setup on my D44...... 6 months later I pitched it in favor of the stock drums because I couldn't get the discs to hold the Heep on the trails. To this point, I'm not really impressed with the whole disc swap idea.

I'll keep my drums.

"Maybe I can rig up something that drops a stray rock in front of my tire using the useless e-brake mechanism.".......... Hilarious! :laugh3:

I only use mine when I jack up the frontend and in parking lots in the snow for steering. Mine's a 2000 and I seriously doubt it's effectiveness. I would never leave it on an incline with just that thing on. I'd throw a rock, log, dead animal, or girlfriend under there to be sure. If I didn't have one I'd still want one just to know it's there but mostly just in case my brakes went out while moving.

the best thing that ever happened to mine was when somehow i knocked the button and spring off the end of the e-brake handle. I can still engage the locking pawl but it takes both hands. Now I can use the brake rallycar style without having to think about keeping my thumb on the damn button.

I actually use it all the time for its intended purpose (I have a 5spd) and the other really cool thing is that to disengage the brake after I have actually set the ratchet, all i have to do is give a little pull up and let go of the handle.

I actually feel that this mode of operation is much safer than the "correct" method. especially in an EMERGENCY situation where you may only need to use the brake for an instant, and may not appreciate them staying engaged.

joel

and remember that drum brakes hold MUCH better when the vehicle is rolling forward than they do in reverse

Well I do have to say the most affective e-brake I've ever used is when I planted my front bumper into Rick's rear tailgate. My jeep wasn't moving anyplace, even when I applied the gas it wouldn't move anyfarther than Rick's jeep hitting Joe's jeep, then it all stopped! :D

hinkley

Just to throw in my .02 cents, I always use my ebrake, even on flat surfaces. habit? yes, but a good one. and i've tested its strength on steep inclines. stop, put the jeep in neutral, ebrake on, let off the brake pedal. stock 8.25 drums, work beautifuly.

oh, and i can lock up my 31s with the ebrake while rolling between 20-25 mph and slowly pulling up. maybe you guys having problems should pull off your drums and take a peak at yer shoes n' cables.

And I agree with Yellaheep, drums are much better than discs for parking brake purposes.

raceready said:
the best thing that ever happened to mine was when somehow i knocked the button and spring off the end of the e-brake handle. I can still engage the locking pawl but it takes both hands.
It's easily fixable. I fixed my old one by filing of the grooves, then threading it and using a nut with a washer to hold the spring down. Then I JB Welded the button back on.

Anyways I can park my XJ up an incline and set the parking brake and not worry too much about it. Also the bigger drums in the 44 make a big difference over those puny little ones that were on my 8.25.

Back