• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you need to get done?

Just let me find an Medium duty manual Transmission with a good clutch!

And about $3500 for injection pump mods, big intercooler, and a HX40! Now I'll hang with MacGuyver and his rocket ship 6.4!

surely we could take it to the dragstrip after that ;)

....i still want to see a bus vs. weinerbox race.

Can you cruise at hwy speeds? Meaning 65+?

If not I wonder if you could swap out the 'school bus' gearing (short trips with a lot of starting and stopping) to more hwy friendly? I'm sure you thought of it though...but if not...I'd check out doing that.

My friend's 18 wheeler grossing 80K gets about 5 MPG...and he has 230 gallons fuel capacity. It aint cheap!!

Yes it will run 65-70 on flat ground just fine, but without an OD trans it is right on the governor and mpg suffers greatly. It is much happier at 58-62, at max load, 33,000 lb(carrying two rigs) getting right at 7mpg. The rear axle gearing isn't the problem, I need more gears in the trans.
Your friend's 'big' truck probably has a 12 liter sized motor, I'm working with 5.9 liters!

But I really can't bitch much, it works great as is!

With both custom built tanks full I have 400 gallons in diesel and 23 gallons unleaded for the genset, and 35 gallons of fresh water.

Last edited:
Yes it will run 65-70 on flat ground just fine, but without an OD trans it is right on the governor and mpg suffers greatly. It is much happier at 58-62, at max load, 33,000 lb(carrying two rigs) getting right at 7mpg. The rear axle gearing isn't the problem, I need more gears in the trans.
Your friend's 'big' truck probably has a 12 liter sized motor, I'm working with 5.9 liters!

But I really can't bitch much, it works great as is!

With both custom built tanks full I have 400 gallons in diesel and 23 gallons unleaded for the genset, and 35 gallons of fresh water.

He actually has the 3456 15L CAT. I know a lot of the big rigs run the 12L detroit.

So yeah...OD trans and some motor hopups and you'd be set! I bet you could push it to 10 MPG which with that setup would be pretty sweet.

Radiator is done. Took the jeep for a spin on the new shoes last night. Runs hot. I think I have an air bubble.

The shift points are a lot nicer, almost like stock, with the 5.38's and the 37's. I have a vibration at highway speeds. Not sure if I need more balancing beads or if it's the tread on the MTR's.

I looked out the window to see if they were bouncing and my first thought was "Holy shit that's a big tire."

Shafts are in. I need to recharge the AC and load it up and that's pretty much it.

Hoping to work on the traction bar this week after work. Worked on the Green Limited over the weekend with Glenn and Tim.

Got Alloys and AC......Getting closer! :D

It's fun....too bad you never took a ride in my old junk pile. It was always a good time at around 80 with no doors or floor

Hey he rode in my junk recently.... that ought to count for something! :gee:

Need to balance front tires on tow rig...hopefully dont need new ones.

Need to get spare tire mounted for MJ.

MAYBE get winch cradle for winch on MJ.

Need to get CB antennas bought and install CB radios in tow rig and MJ.

Need to find a spare tire/rim for trailer.

Need to get:

spare oil for tow rig
spare oil for MJ
power steering fluid
brake fluid
1 more tie down strap

Grab a couple 5 hour energy drinks just in case I get drowsy on the drive to/from.

Pack clothes for me, the mrs, and the kids

Win the lottery so I don't have to come home from the crawl...EVER.

I ordered my new exhaust and gaskets to get it installed. Should have everything Friday for installation Saturday at the Wrenchfest.

Heep runs at 225-235. I'm hoping it's an air bubble or it's a cracked header. Doesn't overheat, but settles halfway to the redline. Turning the fan on makes little difference.

Have a wicked vibration that gets louder and softer with an increase or decrease in speed. It's probably the driveshaft that we put back together on the trail. I've got a couple in the garage that I'm going to throw new joints in and mount them up.

So glad it's 98 degrees outside.

Back