• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you collect?

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Intentionally that is.

For the purpose of this thread, ex-wives, jeeps and/or parts, venereal diseases etc. do not count. Don’t really want to hear about any panty collections except … well, never mind. What has got me wondering this is that lately I’ve been on a mission to determine if there are actually walls and a floor in my garage? Oh, and I’m nosey too.

For my collecting there are two main categories:

Antique and vintage woodworking tools. Planes, chisels and other “edge” tools are particular favorites. The deciding factor being that they can be restored (if needed) to usable condition and return them to service.

Antique and period art glass, big weakness! Vaseline glass, carnival glass, layer glass etc. Hand blown preferred but there is a lot of nice pressed glass that will follow me home too. (Shiny things :) ) Most of my collection is bowls but I also have picked up some exceptional vases.

Actually it’s a fairly inexpensive hobby, in the long run that is. I prefer to divide the cost of the item by the number of hours it took to find it. A really good find can take 40 – 50 hours of looking; try going to a movie or out to eat for less than $2/hour. In addition, this way of rationalizing / thinking can be applied to other expenditures as well; miles can also be substituted for hours when advantageous to the cause.

Well I guess it’s back to looking for the floor again.

TIM

Bills...specifically credit card and college loans...3 of my 4 daughters are in college...I have no money.

If I did it would be stamps in my passport.

Tom

BAseball cards and football cards......Started when I was 14 and kept going til I was 20...

I have like 7 banana boxes full of cards in monster boxes from 1968-2000.

One of these days I'll have to sit down and price it all out.......

I could probably fund a couple of jeeps from that collection!!!

No real collections, per se. Just have a few 'nice' things for my multiple hobbies.

Only 'real' collection is the set of Tom Clancy 1st edition hardcover novels. :)

'50s and '60s furniture and other designer-specific objects. A couple of Eames chairs, Milo Baughman sofa, and Saarinen tulip chairs and table are my best purchases.

I collect vintage hobby grade Radio Control vehicles -- my collection has about 50 currently.

taking a hiatus on that for my MJ tho.

Matthew

i've got hundreds of beer bottle caps. i started doing this with only one goal in mind.. covering the bottom of a stand up CAMEL ashtray. before long it became kind of a ritual between me and my buds to put all beer caps in there. Some of them are even nostalgic. i probably couldn't tell you why there nostalgic though.:dunno:

besides panties, jeep parts, and women? sh*t.....i cant AFFORD any more hobbies.

Old military weapons. Knives, firearms, etc. Military body armor, flak jackets, vests, helmets. Old carburetors (I know its parts but I have a weakness for them that I cannot explain!)

Tacos :chef:

olivedrabcj7 said:
besides panties, jeep parts, and women? sh*t.....i cant AFFORD any more hobbies.

Do you wear the panties?

GSequoia said:

Uh, you're talking about those 72 virgins when you get to heaven? :firedevil

I collect pictures of Dead Presidents and Early American Statesman.

I especially am fond of my Benjamin Franklin collection but U.S. Grant runs a close second!! :laugh3:

Back