• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do i got?

Brewin17_2007

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 jeep cherokee sport and when you put it in part time 4 wheel drive both front tires always spin, and if you try to pull out on the road while it is still in part time itjumps and sounds like the axle is breaking it doesnt do this in full time 4x4 and the front axle has the numbers 30 7af on it..... i was wondering if anyone knew what axle i had

oh sweet christ. Thats your transfer case telling you you're killing it.

part time is for slippery situations. Full Time has a slip differential in the transfer case and allows slip between front and rear outputs. part time has them locked together and that can do harsh things to your case running street with p/t 4x4

You have a Dana 30 axle with what looks like (regarding your posted #'s) a 3.07:1 ratio.

Brewin17_2007 said:
but what is the difference between that and a locker if the wheels spin all the time
You'd better check that the differential is working correctly. There shouldn't be a locker up there. Put it in 2WD, jack up one wheel, and try to turn it. If you can turn it, it isn't locked.

While you're at it, check the universal joints. Bad U-joints in the axles will accentuate the usual hopping and pulsing.

not suppose to drive on pavement in part time 4hi... it is like 4lo it locks the transfer case. Front and rear axle locked and cannot move in different speeds without breaking stuff.

where as in full time 4hi the transfer case is not locked and can allow the front axle to move at different speed than rear axle.

ComancheColt said:
oh sweet christ. Thats your transfer case telling you you're killing it.

part time is for slippery situations. Full Time has a slip differential in the transfer case and allows slip between front and rear outputs. part time has them locked together and that can do harsh things to your case running street with p/t 4x4

You have a Dana 30 axle with what looks like (regarding your posted #'s) a 3.07:1 ratio.

Yup, you keep that up and you will be buying a new transfercase for around $800!!:twak:

Here's how I splained it to my Mrs who drives only on the street:
Green=good
Yellow=bad

Not to be a smart ass, but the "keep it simple" explanation worked for me. Of course, I had to come here to learn the difference for myself.

Back