• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

went to finish disassembling and removing the d30 I bent jumping my rig at nwfest, and after closer inspection I believe I have found out why my brand new diff fluid was metallic and chunky.

when the housing bent, it bent right where the intermediate shaft (disco) is in the center of the axle. this forced the intermediate shaft further into the carrier so that my front axle briefly became a locker until it self clearanced. the location of the bend is also preventing the intermediate shaft from being pounded out of the carrier enough to remove the carrier from the housing. on top of that my passenger side unit bearing is a bit sticky as is the pass side u joint.

went to finish disassembling and removing the d30 I bent jumping my rig at nwfest, and after closer inspection I believe I have found out why my brand new diff fluid was metallic and chunky.

when the housing bent, it bent right where the intermediate shaft (disco) is in the center of the axle. this forced the intermediate shaft further into the carrier so that my front axle briefly became a locker until it self clearanced. the location of the bend is also preventing the intermediate shaft from being pounded out of the carrier enough to remove the carrier from the housing. on top of that my passenger side unit bearing is a bit sticky as is the pass side u joint.
Resize_P07-28-11_1732.jpg

I got my twin stick installed. AA's specific Cherokee instructions were written for 91+ XJ's and they didn't think to mention that or even tell their staff.

IMG_20110730_173543.jpg

Thats exactly what I was planning on doing! TAke pics, let me know how it turns out.
I'll be doing a little more cutting in a little bit, it's catching in a few spots.

It sucks taking up some of my cargo space but I've got clearance now :).
I tried not cutting into the double thick steel that's for the thing we call a sub-frame but I see that's unavoidable now.

IMG_20110730_175006.jpg

Last edited:
My jeep is getting fuel pressure now... and the engine runs. Just waiting for a new lock ring for the pump and I will be fully operational again.

My jeep is getting fuel pressure now... and the engine runs. Just waiting for a new lock ring for the pump and I will be fully operational again.

Wahooo congrats :), I'm hoping to get mine started tomorrow. Still need to get my driveshaft cut before she's rolling on her own.

Wahooo congrats :), I'm hoping to get mine started tomorrow. Still need to get my driveshaft cut before she's rolling on her own.

I'm glad it's running, I get to move it into my new house next weekend, no more HOA party1:

Well here's the end result. This is probably going to be ride height with a full load. (gotta love threaded body coilovers.) It gave me a crap load of space.

Tomorrow I pick up fuel line and see if she still ticks :)
IMG_20110730_205008.jpg

IMG_20110730_204934.jpg

no more HOA party1:
Oh man you're lucky!

I seriously got glared at when I changed my mustangs wheel bearing in my driveway.
People have complained because my off white curtains arn't white enough and I was threatened with a fine. Someone complained that my roomate was moving out and parked on the street...

I fn hate HOA's

Oh man you're lucky!

I seriously got glared at when I changed my mustangs wheel bearing in my driveway.
People have complained because my off white curtains arn't white enough and I was threatened with a fine. Someone complained that my roomate was moving out and parked on the street...

I fn hate HOA's

I hear ya, attempted to fine me for having a non operable vehicle in my garage. Not only was my jeep running and fully operational at the time, I had also driven it 3 days before I had received the complaint. Also my new neighbors on the garage side of the house are deaf.

Well here's the end result. This is probably going to be ride height with a full load. (gotta love threaded body coilovers.) It gave me a crap load of space.

Tomorrow I pick up fuel line and see if she still ticks :)
IMG_20110730_205008.jpg

IMG_20110730_204934.jpg

I thought you had portal axles of some sort?

Back