• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Technically speaking I believe you can get some kind of an eco fuel blending license, tell them how much you produce a year (and that it's for your use only) and pay the road taxes on it. At that point, they have their pound of flesh and really don't give a rat's ass what you do. If you go this route, carry the paperwork to show the cops and/or DOT if they pull you over and dip your tanks.

Googled it, here are a few states that came up:
FL http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/fuel/blender_retailer_alternative.html
SD http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/motorfuel/

I'm thinking about selling my half ton Dodge. It's a hassle trying to park a long wheel base crew cab. I park out at the far side of the varies parking lots, and security guards still hassle me about it being to big for the parking lot. I get less grief when I park a highway tractor in the same lots, taking up 4 spaces verses just 2 with the half ton crew cab.

I'm thinking about just flat towing the XJ behind a Grand Cherokee.

Has anyone ever tried fabricating an electric drive line brake? Any thoughts?

I only need to tow it about 25 miles. Any further, and just borrow a 1 ton+ and a trailer.

Ive never flat towed. I just dont get it. The point of towing to me is not having to worry if your jeep breaks, you have to keep alot of things in one piece still to flat tow.

Tell me more about this 50/50, $2 stuff.

You can do WMO, WVO, Bio, etc. Doesn't really matter which. Running Bio you could even do it for less than $2/gallon. Spend a little time on the diesel forums if you want real in depth conversations about it.

Like where you accumulate and process 2,000 gallons of waste oil?

(And be careful. Strictly speaking, home made fuel is illegal for road use. It doesn't meet EPA specs, and hasn't been taxed. Legally, no different than running the red-dyed "non-highway" diesel, and they will mess you UP for that...)

Robert

I have a friend that runs 8 local restaurants. I also run a auto repair shop. My supply of WVO or WMO is nearly limitless

Technically speaking I believe you can get some kind of an eco fuel blending license, tell them how much you produce a year (and that it's for your use only) and pay the road taxes on it. At that point, they have their pound of flesh and really don't give a rat's ass what you do. If you go this route, carry the paperwork to show the cops and/or DOT if they pull you over and dip your tanks.

Googled it, here are a few states that came up:
FL http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/fuel/blender_retailer_alternative.html
SD http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/motorfuel/

This is correct, you can process your own fuel as long as you pay the taxes. The taxes equal about 75 cents/gallon

Oh yeah, word to the wise....be careful what you run in your common rail cummins, ford, or chevy....their injector pumps are "fragile". If you really want to run other fuels, get a 12v with the inline bosch pump.

Uhhhhhhhh....:bs:

Yeah, yeah. I goofed. My Tundra has the 5.7L V8 and I added "hemi" to the end of that post a few pages back. My '06 Grand Cherokee had the 5.7L Hemi and it rolled off the keyboard as a habit.

IMG_3868_zps4b69789b.jpg

I wonder how well the shorter wheelbase WK would have flat towed the XJ.

DSCN4637_zpse1bb1f95.jpg

Last edited:
Ive never flat towed. I just dont get it. The point of towing to me is not having to worry if your jeep breaks, you have to keep alot of things in one piece still to flat tow.

I live in an apartment. Owning and storing a trailer large enough for an XJ isn't an option.

The only major carnage has occurred on the highway. Offroad, it always seems to be electrical or vacuum systems that cause issues. I decided to run open differentials. The D30HP and Chrysler 8.25 are holding up. The R.E. 5.5" lift provides lots of flex.

I'm thinking a tow bar for both Jeeps, stored on the cargo rack of the XJ. Then if the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee can flat tow each other if one of them has a minor problem. For something major, I have AAA and a couple credit cards.

I live in an apartment. Owning and storing a trailer large enough for an XJ isn't an option.

The only major carnage has occurred on the highway. Offroad, it always seems to be electrical or vacuum systems that cause issues. I decided to run open differentials. The D30HP and Chrysler 8.25 are holding up. The R.E. 5.5" lift provides lots of flex.

I'm thinking a tow bar for both Jeeps, stored on the cargo rack of the XJ. Then if the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee can flat tow each other if one of them has a minor problem. For something major, I have AAA and a couple credit cards.

Makes pretty good sense. Still better than driving the xj.

Oh yeah, word to the wise....be careful what you run in your common rail cummins, ford, or chevy....their injector pumps are "fragile". If you really want to run other fuels, get a 12v with the inline bosch pump.
same goes for TDIs... a friend of mine says he has seen so many dumbasses clog up/wreck TDIs by trying to run WVO and stuff in them.

same goes for TDIs... a friend of mine says he has seen so many dumbasses clog up/wreck TDIs by trying to run WVO and stuff in them.

Meanwhile you just laugh and dump another batch of raw tablescraps with some oil in the tank of your 5t?

Meanwhile you just laugh and dump another batch of raw tablescraps with some oil in the tank of your 5t?
It doesn't run. I'd pre filter to avoid spending too much money on fuel filters though.

Back