• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

I won't dispute that MANY gas motors will out run a stock cummins, and MANY gas motors can be built cheaply and still hang with a cheap built cummins....the difference will come in mileage. My cummins will pass anything I want going up any hill I've found towing everything I own....and still get in the mid twenties fully loaded and well over 30 empty.

Fixed that for you. No Cummins get less than 20 ;)

My Tow rig is a 97 CCSB F 250 Power Joke with a TS 6 Position chip, 5" Exhuast and a BHAF. I've got a complete Banks intercooler tube kit with a 7.3 intercooler that needs too go on it.

Here's one of those cummins going for a infinity MPG ride, with it's blown tranny.

I won't dispute that MANY gas motors will out run a stock cummins, and MANY gas motors can be built cheaply and still hang with a cheap built cummins....the difference will come in mileage. My cummins will pass anything I want going up any hill I've found towing everything I own....and still get in the mid teens fully loaded and well over 20 empty.
x2

12valves were not know as factory powerhouses.. but they were reliable. When towing, Reliability and Mileage are king. Power makes 3rd place. IMO.

I'm not winning any races with my 400k mile 24v.. But I'm getting to my destination, with the same amount of fuel mileage my jeep would have used. and enjoying low 20s as a DD

:thumbup:

Hope you guys realize 90% of the cars on the road have hemispherical combustion chambers before you go calling BS. ;) Mopar only owns the name, not the design.

95% of Trucks have beds but they aren't all called "Ford Model T Runabouts" if you want to argue semantics...

My truck beat up your truck's daddy in high school.

34802_1674101225839_7491896_n.jpg

I won't dispute that MANY gas motors will out run a stock cummins, and MANY gas motors can be built cheaply and still hang with a cheap built cummins....the difference will come in mileage. My cummins will pass anything I want going up any hill I've found towing everything I own....and still get in the mid teens fully loaded and well over 20 empty.
mileage may be nice, but diesel still costs more than gas, and it sounds like you're only getting a few mpg's over me anyways. so couple that with the increased price of the vehicle, it would take forever for it to pay for itself, if ever.
i just wish i had bigger brakes. but that's fixable on the cheap.

mileage may be nice, but diesel still costs more than gas, and it sounds like you're only getting a few mpg's over me anyways. so couple that with the increased price of the vehicle, it would take forever for it to pay for itself, if ever.
I run a 50/50 blend. $2 a gallon is sweet.

I'm pretty good at math btw, and i've had my truck for about 60k miles, paid $8400 for it. I figure at $4 a gallon average, and 15mpg average (being conservative)....that comes to a fuel savings of $8000 minus my fuel processing costs of less than $500. Next year my truck will be free, then the mods will be paid for in a couple years after that. And it will still have 200k more miles to go before it needs a rebuild.

To each their own, but i'm very happy with my way.

I'm pretty good at math btw, and i've had my truck for about 60k miles, paid $8400 for it. I figure at $4 a gallon average, and 15mpg average (being conservative)....that comes to a fuel savings of $8000 minus my fuel processing costs of less than $500. Next year my truck will be free, then the mods will be paid for in a couple years after that. And it will still have 200k more miles to go before it needs a rebuild.

seems like you drive a ton more than i do. i put about 8-10k on my van over a 4.5 year period. in that case, it makes more sense. for me, not so much.

My dd is a 06 lbz ccsb. I get better fuel economy than my jeep on average. I drive about 25k miles a year. When you add up the costs of wearing the 35s on the jeep and whatnot it is cheaper to drive my dirtymax. Plus it is a hell of a lot more comfortable.

You have no idea what you are missing until you drive a real truck...there is a HUGE difference.

Fixed that for you. No Cummins get less than 20 ;)

My Tow rig is a 97 CCSB F 250 Power Joke with a TS 6 Position chip, 5" Exhuast and a BHAF. I've got a complete Banks intercooler tube kit with a 7.3 intercooler that needs too go on it.

Here's one of those cummins going for a infinity MPG ride, with it's blown tranny.

chrysler autos are great!

I'd say they run forever if you never take them out of park, but they don't supply lube pressure if left in park/neutral so that's out too...

seems like you drive a ton more than i do...

That's the thing. If you're towing a ton of weight, and a lot of miles, diesel starts to make more sense. Occasional use like, I dunno, towing my XJ to the trail and back once a month, you'll never recoup the much higher purchase price.

Quick math:
My 7.3 made ~13mpg, at $4, about 31 cents a mile.
My 8.1 is turning about nine, so even at $3.50, is only 38 cents.
(That 50cent spread is VERY conservative, it's been as much as a buck...)

7c a mile, if you drive it 20k a year, is $1400. If your diesel cost $5k more than a comparable gasser, you'll recoup your money in ~3.5 years, ignoring other higher maintenance costs (like $110 oil changes).

But for me, round trip to BigRock is only 100 miles. Harlan was only 500. There's no way I'll put even three thousand miles on it a year. It'd take 25 years to balance out!

The diesel did sound a lot cooler, I'll give you that. But I plan to open up the exhaust on my bigblock, and I bet that helps with that...

hasta

Robert

That's the thing. If you're towing a ton of weight, and a lot of miles, diesel starts to make more sense. Occasional use like, I dunno, towing my XJ to the trail and back once a month, you'll never recoup the much higher purchase price.

Quick math:
My 7.3 made ~13mpg, at $4, about 31 cents a mile.
My 8.1 is turning about nine, so even at $3.50, is only 38 cents.
(That 50cent spread is VERY conservative, it's been as much as a buck...)

7c a mile, if you drive it 20k a year, is $1400. If your diesel cost $5k more than a comparable gasser, you'll recoup your money in ~3.5 years, ignoring other higher maintenance costs (like $65 oil changes).

But for me, round trip to BigRock is only 100 miles. Harlan was only 500. There's no way I'll put even three thousand miles on it a year. It'd take 25 years to balance out!

The diesel did sound a lot cooler, I'll give you that. But I plan to open up the exhaust on my bigblock, and I bet that helps with that...

hasta

Robert

I dont hate your reasoning..

I dont even disagree with your reasoning..

But you still should have bought a Diesel :D

But you still should have bought a Diesel :D

My math above references "MY" 7.3. :D

I did buy a diesel, I did tow with it for the last eight years, I did live the math of which I speak.

I didn't hate it, but my new (to me) rig is bigblock gas, and I couldn't be happier!

:cheers:

Tell me more about this 50/50, $2 stuff.

Tell me more about this 50/50, $2 stuff.

Like where you accumulate and process 2,000 gallons of waste oil?

(And be careful. Strictly speaking, home made fuel is illegal for road use. It doesn't meet EPA specs, and hasn't been taxed. Legally, no different than running the red-dyed "non-highway" diesel, and they will mess you UP for that...)

Robert

Back