• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Here's mine. The van is 7.3 Diesel I did a Dana 60 front 5 link with coils 8" lift. The motorhome is a Caterpiller 7.3 in line bumped to 300 HP. 37' car trailer or I have a 20' and a 16'.
DSCN0497.jpg
DSCN0498.jpg

I like your setup man. Wish I had the cash for that type of trailer. Lol

The 2 car is my son's father in law he does not use it. He use to haul cars and retired but he likes having it around. That's where I come in, I store it, maintain it, he pays tittle and tires, I pay nothing and use it. What else could I ask for. I do have 2 of my own car trailers in case!

Just the mileage alone is why i couldnt go with a gasser.. I can pull 16mpg with a GCWR of 17,000lbs..

A gasser is lucky to achieve that, Completely empty

I was surprised the 5.3L got 13.6 MPG towing to phoenix and 11.7 MPG on the way back. I hand calculate all of mine, it is easy and way more accurate than the DIC. The trailer I used probably weighs in at 3400# and the Cherokee was probably around 4000# so that is about what I could hope for. My set-up for the Jeep will weigh less than that once I purchase my own trailer.

if i were to buy any gas truck, the vortec line is probably the best as far as economy and power goes. not sure on the ecoboost, but i wouldnt buy that new anyways. i miss my silverado, 21mpg highway with the 4.8.

I was surprised the 5.3L got 13.6 MPG towing to phoenix and 11.7 MPG on the way back. I hand calculate all of mine, it is easy and way more accurate than the DIC. The trailer I used probably weighs in at 3400# and the Cherokee was probably around 4000# so that is about what I could hope for. My set-up for the Jeep will weigh less than that once I purchase my own trailer.

if i were to buy any gas truck, the vortec line is probably the best as far as economy and power goes. not sure on the ecoboost, but i wouldnt buy that new anyways. i miss my silverado, 21mpg highway with the 4.8.
Yes, I would do a early-mid 2000s 6.0L (5.3L at min) for as gasser. When I had my 92 Dakota 318/46rh would get 13-14 regardless of what I pulled. And 22-24 mpg hwy not towing.

Yes, I would do a early-mid 2000s 6.0L (5.3L at min) for as gasser. When I had my 92 Dakota 318/46rh would get 13-14 regardless of what I pulled. And 22-24 mpg hwy not towing.

6 liters are horrible on mileage. i have a friend with one who gets 10 mpg towing a 5k lb trailer at 63mph. its an 05 chevy, 2wd, 2500 4 door. He says it pulls nice, but hates the mileage.

the 4.8 will get the job done.
I towed my junk on a heavy trailer with one. It got outstanding mileage empty, and still managed 14 towing my junk when driven sensibly.

I'd be more concerned about the 4L60 that's bolted up to the smaller gassers than the motors or their performance.

the 4.8 will get the job done.
I towed my junk on a heavy trailer with one. It got outstanding mileage empty, and still managed 14 towing my junk when driven sensibly.

I'd be more concerned about the 4L60 that's bolted up to the smaller gassers than the motors or their performance.
i always wanted to bolt up a t56 in my silverado.
the 4l60e can be beefed up pretty good but of course that costs money.

^This!
My 5.3L on my old 1500 was alright power wise (lived near the redline on hills towing though) it was the trans that was cooking. The 4L60 is a great trans, just not designed to tow heavy (well heavy for a 1/2ton), long distances and often.
MY TRUCK IS THE BEST
Pssh...

is it sad that my lame 8 cylinder has about as much power as my lame 6 cylinder? but still gets better horrible mileage?
still, the rate of return on buying something that gets better mileage will never pay for the difference between even a $5k truck vs my $1k van, nevermind a $50k diesel. not quite sure it would even pay for the difference in registration or insurance each year.

Back