• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Mines not a DD.2002 with 100k on it. Also Vanimal you can list the XJ as primaty vehicle and thevan as rv for cheap,r insurance on van.
the saturn is listed as a primary vehicle. all 3 are pretty cheap to insure. it's my driving record that kills me. :D
Anyways, back on topic. just got my brakes and breakaway controler all wired up on the trailer and van. also set up the solar pannels to connect through the trailer plug on the van to charge the batteries. looking forward to it's maiden towing voyage this weekend!

I'm paying $3.69 a gal for gas.Diesel runs me over 4 bucks a gal(4.09 to 4.39).Savings per month is nice to have.
Thank god i own both styles of truck
but what's the fuel economy on each? Diesel could end up costing you less per mile, assuming the diesel truck makes up for it by getting more miles per gallon... then factor in maintenance, insurance, etc obviously.

but what's the fuel economy on each? Diesel could end up costing you less per mile, assuming the diesel truck makes up for it by getting more miles per gallon... then factor in maintenance, insurance, initial cost of the vehicle, etc obviously.
fify.
wish diesels werent so expensive. also, seems like they dont last as long as they used to with all the power they're squeezing out of these things now. I've seen many newer diesels die with less mileage than any gas motor i've owned. plus the motors aint cheap to replace.

There is no way I'm saving money owning a diesel vs a comparable gasser. $5-7k higher initial purchase, $100 diy oilchanges and $4.15 vs $3.15 for fuel. Nevermind the MUCH higher costs of repairs. There's just no way I'm gonna make all that up getting 13 mpg instead of 11.

It is pretty cool though:

toys.png

Robert

My gas gets around 20mpg, it's a inline 6 old ford.The diesel gets around 18 to 20mpg, but with the big banks kit in it i only get 15.I like to haul butt in it.Man it can smoke the tires.:)

There is no way I'm saving money owning a diesel vs a comparable gasser. $5-7k higher initial purchase, $100 diy oilchanges and $4.15 vs $3.15 for fuel. Nevermind the MUCH higher costs of repairs. There's just no way I'm gonna make all that up getting 13 mpg instead of 11.

It is pretty cool though

Totally agree. If I wanted to save money I would pick a different hobby. The whole thing is somewhat of an entertainment-related expense. I could do it cheaper, but I love wheeling and I also love diesels, so having one lets me do something I enjoy while I'm driving to the trails.

Big fan of your canvas topper by the way!

Meanwhile I think I'm on my 4th tow rig since this thread was started (and hopefully it will stick around a while), here's the newest setup:

photo.jpg

if the truck GVW is 10k+ and the trailer is 10k+, youre supposed to have a Class A. its a wierd grey zone, you see these duallies pulling 5th campers aroumd but hardly any of the people drivimg have one. most cops might not say anything if pulled over, but a dot cop will probably give you a hard time.

Campers have different rules, you can also drive a class a motorhome with air brake on a regular license.

Thanks! Made up the frame myself, and had a local boat shop stitch up the vinyl. I started a writeup on it, but never finished or posted it. Maybe I should...

Robert

I would like to see it. I have some ideas for enclosing the flatbed of the new toter design, but I don't want it to be heavy. I'm very intrigued by all the semi trailers I see with curtain sides.

I don't want it to be heavy...

Well then you don't want to copy mine, at least not exactly as-is.

I was a bit paranoid, just learning to weld, so I overbuilt EVERYTHING. Probably 300lbs all told. But it comes apart in pieces, so I can install and remove it myself, no problem.

I'm happy with the general design, and I know it could be lightened up a lot.

I'll try to put someting together and post up...

Robert

Well then you don't want to copy mine, at least not exactly as-is.

I was a bit paranoid, just learning to weld, so I overbuilt EVERYTHING. Probably 300lbs all told. But it comes apart in pieces, so I can install and remove it myself, no problem.

I'm happy with the general design, and I know it could be lightened up a lot.

I'll try to put someting together and post up...

Robert

Heavy is relative. My current box weighs 3500 lbs, and we go down the road at 17,000 lbs.

big boy truck.

fify.
wish diesels werent so expensive. also, seems like they dont last as long as they used to with all the power they're squeezing out of these things now. I've seen many newer diesels die with less mileage than any gas motor i've owned. plus the motors aint cheap to replace.

Your right about the lower mileage life with some especially when they are squeezing them. That's why I picked the International 7.3 liter Ford. Every diesel mechanic I have talk to or run into always ask if it's the 6.0 or 7.3. When I say 7.3 they rave about how great the motor is. They say all the Jap ones are bad, they do like the 5 cylinder Mercedes though. That's why I have a bully Dog Chip. I keep it off all times except if I have a clown trying to be goofy next to me, then I can set it to 75 or 125 HP on the fly but I don't do it will driving only idling. Mine should go 500k +, oh I get 16 to 18 when I'm out of it on long trips like my old Baja trips, it was lower stock 295 tires but it was loaded with a4 surfboards 1 kayak, 4 people and clothing and some camp gear. Now it's 35's but will have 4.30 instead of 4.10 when I get around to it!

2002 F-350 w/ the 7.3L TurboDiesel. Bought it new in '02 and plan to pass it on to one of my sons when the time comes. As Boss said, this engine has a cult following with well over 1 million still on the road. I get a kick passing passenger cars on steep hills while hauling my 3000lb cabover camper with trailer/jeep :)

2quou15.jpg

Back