• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Some people tend to ignore the fact that some folks just cannot afford a big truck.

I am one of those but I know GoSlowGetStuck personally and his Tahoe was poopoo when towing the XJ. Now with a Powerstroke he can lug that heavy ass ZJ around without issues. Longer wheelbase is MUCH better for towing and he could afford the truck so don't get mad at him. I am sure he is well aware and he was probably still a broke ass before he bought the Truck! :D

I am one of those but I know GoSlowGetStuck personally and his Tahoe was poopoo when towing the XJ. Now with a Powerstroke he can lug that heavy ass ZJ around without issues. Longer wheelbase is MUCH better for towing and he could afford the truck so don't get mad at him. I am sure he is well aware and he was probably still a broke ass before he bought the Truck! :D

Again, it wasn't terrible around here on flat land. When I went down to Harlan last year, that trip flat out sucked.

And yes I was and still am broke, for the time being at least. :) Off-roading is an expensive hobby, especially if you want to trailer your rig. Mine isn't really built enough to justify it, but it gives me peace of mind. It is kind of a reality check to realize I've spent at least 10x on my truck, trailer, and equipment than on my Jeep itself.

Regrets? Not really. The Powerstroke is the first pickup I've owned and I get a surprising amount of use out of it. Sure "paying to play" sucks... but if I wasn't doing this I'd probably be burning money on something else.

Again, it wasn't terrible around here on flat land. When I went down to Harlan last year, that trip flat out sucked.

And yes I was and still am broke, for the time being at least. :) Off-roading is an expensive hobby, especially if you want to trailer your rig. Mine isn't really built enough to justify it, but it gives me peace of mind. It is kind of a reality check to realize I've spent at least 10x on my truck, trailer, and equipment than on my Jeep itself.

Regrets? Not really. The Powerstroke is the first pickup I've owned and I get a surprising amount of use out of it. Sure "paying to play" sucks... but if I wasn't doing this I'd probably be burning money on something else.

Yeah that masters oughta help you out! :paperwork :geek: I will have a truck to tow with one day but since my Jeep will always be streetable, I am just gonna get a 2wd with a Cummins unless i get a good deal on a 4wd.

Yeah that masters oughta help you out! :paperwork :geek: I will have a truck to tow with one day but since my Jeep will always be streetable, I am just gonna get a 2wd with a Cummins unless i get a good deal on a 4wd.
Get a 4wd if at all possible. I figured I would only tow with mine, 98 cummins, and only got a 4wd by chance. First trip out I got stuck in some sand on the side of the road....five feet from pavement. I was able to throw it into four and go, but if not I would have had to unload the jeep just to unstick the truck :(

Its amazing how easy a 2wd diesel truck will get stuck.

Just an update-----

Well I towed with my setup which is a 2009 f-150 short wheelbase single cab 4.6 v-8, auto. Towing an all metal trailer about 18 feet long. No trailer brakes on this trip since I didn't have the cash for trailer brake controller this go around. I towed about 7 hours away and it was up some really good grades up and down and all around.

Towed absolutely great. I towed at 60 to 65 the whole time with ease and braking wasn't all that bad as long as I gave some room. I was actually pleasantly suprised and even more surprised at fuel economy. Not sure exactly how many mpgs, but used a tank and a half up there and back and that was driving around town without the trailer when i got to the wheelin spot. Not saying I approve of using a 1/2 ton but it works for me for now.......wish I had the money for a diesel

IMG_2876.jpg

Just an update-----

Well I towed with my setup which is a 2009 f-150 short wheelbase single cab 4.6 v-8, auto. Towing an all metal trailer about 18 feet long. No trailer brakes on this trip since I didn't have the cash for trailer brake controller this go around. I towed about 7 hours away and it was up some really good grades up and down and all around.

Towed absolutely great. I towed at 60 to 65 the whole time with ease and braking wasn't all that bad as long as I gave some room. I was actually pleasantly suprised and even more surprised at fuel economy. Not sure exactly how many mpgs, but used a tank and a half up there and back and that was driving around town without the trailer when i got to the wheelin spot. Not saying I approve of using a 1/2 ton but it works for me for now.......wish I had the money for a diesel

Nice looking truck... love the 2010s. For whatever reason it seems like the newer trucks are a lot better at pulling a load and handling it well. Still though, 6000# (at least) without trailer brakes? I'd be looking into that. :D If your trailer hubs are set up right, the backing plates and shoes will run you maybe $50 a wheel, and you can get an awesome brake controller for a little over $100. Especially on the grades, nothing like having peace of mind.

Especially with such a short wheelbase, I previously would have told you that you were crazy to pull that much (with brakes nonetheless) but I guess that goes to show what happens when you are careful and take your time.

Nice looking truck... love the 2010s. For whatever reason it seems like the newer trucks are a lot better at pulling a load and handling it well. Still though, 6000# (at least) without trailer brakes? I'd be looking into that. :D If your trailer hubs are set up right, the backing plates and shoes will run you maybe $50 a wheel, and you can get an awesome brake controller for a little over $100. Especially on the grades, nothing like having peace of mind.

Especially with such a short wheelbase, I previously would have told you that you were crazy to pull that much (with brakes nonetheless) but I guess that goes to show what happens when you are careful and take your time.
Exactly my point.
But ... 6k pounds with no brakes?! For 7 hours! Not even I would attempt that.
Rock on ...

Exactly my point.
But ... 6k pounds with no brakes?! For 7 hours! Not even I would attempt that.
Rock on ...

This was my first towing attempt ever by the way.........I had a crash course in towing 2 days prior lol.

The trailer already has brakes in the rear I just need the controller which I am going with the p3 prodigy from Tekonsha as soon as funds allow. It stopped really good actually haha.

The trailer already has brakes in the rear I just need the controller which I am going with the p3 prodigy from Tekonsha as soon as funds allow. It stopped really good actually haha.

Good choice. I think they're around $120-130, while a cheap brake controller will still run you $50-80. Not much more money for a lot more comfort.

Went I ditched my time delay one and got the P3... wow. Just plug it in and go. Plus you should have all the wiring in the truck already, just get the Tekonsha-to-Ford harness and you're good.

Just an update-----

wish I had the money for a diesel
How much was your truck? My97 f250 diesel was 8k with trailer controller and even a gooseneck hitch.

How much was your truck? My97 f250 diesel was 8k with trailer controller and even a gooseneck hitch.

First time ever buying anything of this magnitude. I wasn't able to get anything older financed so I had to settle for this truck which was basically new. Even financing for this I needed a co signer cause my credit was too good and I hadn't ever done any big credit transactions. Stupid as hell but thats life.

I'm just towing/rolling mine behind my Chevy 2500 HD Duramax.

A 5,000# tow bar with shackles welded & bolted onto the front of the XJ's bumper work great.

I modified a 7-pin trailer wiring harness, so that I could connect a secondary XJ lighting wiring harness to the tow rig. A dedicated socket is in the XJ's mesh brush guard.

I am powering the XJ's parking lights from the tow rig. But for rear brakes & turn signals, I installed another harness. I also installed a second bulb socket into each rear light fixture. These operate independently from the OEM lighting circuit. The tow rig is also trickle charging the primary battery, just as it would on a travel trailer.

The parking/clearance, turn signals & brake lights look as though the vehicle is being driven. A big plus when towing in bad weather.

Just put the transfer case into N and I'm good to go.

I'm just towing/rolling mine behind my Chevy 2500 HD Duramax.

A 5,000# tow bar with shackles welded & bolted onto the front of the XJ's bumper work great.

I modified a 7-pin trailer wiring harness, so that I could connect a secondary XJ lighting wiring harness to the tow rig. A dedicated socket is in the XJ's mesh brush guard.

I am powering the XJ's parking lights from the tow rig. But for rear brakes & turn signals, I installed another harness. I also installed a second bulb socket into each rear light fixture. These operate independently from the OEM lighting circuit. The tow rig is also trickle charging the primary battery, just as it would on a travel trailer.

The parking/clearance, turn signals & brake lights look as though the vehicle is being driven. A big plus when towing in bad weather.

Just put the transfer case into N and I'm good to go.

Man with that Duramax you should look into a trailer so you can haul it without tearing up the tires. Or have your friend buy a trailer for two and then you can split fuel costs with him. :D

Awesome to have the XJ's lights working as your trailer lights though. I am debating rigging up a 4-pin on my Jeep so the 7-pin controls the trailer lights and the Jeep's turn signals are powered through the 4-pin and light up in sync. That'd surely confuse some people behind me!

The tires on the XJ are stock fro right now, so the tread doesn't get torn up.

When I go to new axles & larger tires, I'll have to get a trailer. Maybe a toy hauler??

Anyone have a suggestion???

I like the towing option, cause if the XJ needs to be pulled out of somewhere, the Chevy can do the job without an expensive off-road tow service.

Man with that Duramax you should look into a trailer so you can haul it without tearing up the tires. Or have your friend buy a trailer for two and then you can split fuel costs with him. :D

Awesome to have the XJ's lights working as your trailer lights though. I am debating rigging up a 4-pin on my Jeep so the 7-pin controls the trailer lights and the Jeep's turn signals are powered through the 4-pin and light up in sync. That'd surely confuse some people behind me!

The problem with a 4-pin, is that trailer brakes & turn signals are the same. If you signal a turn then brake, one side blinks & the other is steady. And your yellow lenses stay dark...

I wanted the yellow turn signals to work independently of the brake lights.
So I get all appearance of the OEM lighting package - it just looks like someone tailgating!

I am powering the running/tail lights by tapping into the OEM wiring, dedicated circuits/sockets for brighter brake lights (dual filament leads are wired together), and the turn signals (same thing here - I used dual filament sockets/bulbs & wired the hot leads together).

I ran a 4 wire ribbon cable to the rear for the "auxiliary brake & turn signal" circuits. 1 for RT-turn, 1 for L-turn, 1 for Brake lights, 1 for ground. The 7 pin also has a 24/7 hot conductor to charge the XJ's battery, ground, & parking lights. Electric brake circuit is not used.

Last edited:
The tires on the XJ are stock fro right now, so the tread doesn't get torn up.

When I go to new axles & larger tires, I'll have to get a trailer. Maybe a toy hauler??

Anyone have a suggestion???

I like the towing option, cause if the XJ needs to be pulled out of somewhere, the Chevy can do the job without an expensive off-road tow service.

I think you'll find that most toy haulers are expensive... real expensive. If you have a 8' bed I'd say look at a slide-in camper for the back if you want some decent sleeping arrangements. Personally I'd just pick up a cheap 16' or 18' trailer for $1000, maybe a bit more for a decent one that already has brakes, and sleep in a tent. But yea, once you get your XJ modded a bit more and it is a little annoying to drive on the street, that trailer will pay for itself in the first few trips out. And you're right, if you break down, unhitch the trailer and pull it out with the Chevy, then load up and go home!

2009 Kenworth W-900, Cummins ISX, 13 speed Eaton, daily driver, home. :-D I did thumbnails because otherwise they were huge. Just click to view them bigger.

And you're right, if you break down, unhitch the trailer and pull it out with the Chevy, then load up and go home!

This crossed my mind when I was in the 2wd/4wd tow rig debate in my head. I just decided to keep the extra ~3K in my pocket and not wheel alone.:D

Back