• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

I have a diesel F-250 for towing .!. :D .!.

This is usually where any towing discussion ends up ... (so true)

Very early in my time on NAXJA I asked if I could pull my 89 XJ with my 98 ZJ (4.0L). After just a few posts shooting down the idea, I sold it and bought my 1/2 ton. (not everyone can make that leap)
I'm not accusing anyone else of being irresponsible, just saying that due to my own experience and skill level, I will never tow a vehicle with less than a 1/2 ton. (everyone's situation is different)

Nobody is putting you down because of the vehicle you tow with (no offence taken), but towing with a 1/4 ton IS far riskier than towing with a 3/4 ton, plain and simple. Both can be done, but there is no disputing that the bigger truck is better for sway control, and braking and handling in emergencies such as sudden stops or blowing out a tire. If you have any friends or family with a 3/4+ truck, and they'll let you hook up your trailer and drive around a bit, I'd say take that opportunity and see how you feel.

I'm sure we all understand the differences, safety-wise & otherwise. I have towed the XJ with a friend's Dodge 1500 (not ideal) and now have full access to an '09 Tundra 4x4 for towing whenever I need to. The thing is: the other 2 rigs are not mine, and altho the Tundra is always readily available, it ain't mine.

Some people tend to ignore the fact that some folks just cannot afford a big truck. Does that mean we shouldn't play too? Some of us (like me) can afford but do not want a pickup truck. Too big, too gassy, too everything. If I got one, it would have to be as a 3rd vehicle - because I won't daily drive a pickup truck. And I can't afford 3 vehicles. So my solution was to get something that - properly equipped - will tow, and borrow when I can. Believe me, it takes 5+ hours from home to Rausch for me to haul the XJ w/ the Durango when others take 3.5 hrs. Slower, carefully and hyper-alert. Sure there are more efficient vehicles, but the Durango has got the job done.

And the XJ is usually fully streetable when I leave home. But I play hard ... :D. No offence taken, none intended. But this is not a perfect world & not everyone's situation is the same.

the S-series (blazers, jimmys, s-10, s-15, envoy, etc) are rated at or around 5,000. the XJ weight at around 3000 give or take, plus trailer so I'd say right at 5,000 and its not at bad if i dont go too fast. actually my dads stock blazer's handling is way better than my blazer because the smaller tires, HOWEVER my modded blazer have a ton more power than his does (can pull up hills without redlining the engine)
Your numbers are wrong. My XJ stock weighed 3420. You might find a stripped out 2wd at around 3100, but your typical XJ on this site is easily gonna be pushing up to and above 4000 lbs. I took my 3400 lb XJ and put 200 pounds of bumpers, 70 lbs of winch, and bigger tires (don't know their weight of hand), so I'm probably getting close to 4000 by now, and mine's pretty lightly modded by NAXJA standards.

Some people tend to ignore the fact that some folks just cannot afford a big truck. Does that mean we shouldn't play too?

Yes, especially if you're trailering for 5+ hours???

Keep your rig roadworthy and enjoy the moderate trails rather than risking your life and others as well.

Have you seriously never heard of "you gotta pay to play"?

Some people tend to ignore the fact that some folks just cannot afford a big truck. Does that mean we shouldn't play too? Some of us (like me) can afford but do not want a pickup truck. Too big, too gassy, too everything.

Too gassy? WTF?

Real trucks don't use gas or have spark plugs and get damn good fuel economy.

Keep your rig roadworthy and enjoy the moderate trails rather than risking your life and others as well.

This is good advice.

Nothing fancy but it gets the job done.
05 with the 5.3 and 3.73's.

100_7585.jpg

My XJ weighs 4725lb. I weight it right before I put it on the trailer. I'd say it's "average" on the mods. All of the JCR Offroad armor adds up.

Have you seriously never heard of "you gotta pay to play"?
My XJ is road worthy enought to be a DD, passes NJ (Nazi) state inspection without going thru special @ 5" + 33s + heavy armor = 4800 pounds loaded up. And I have driven it to trails, most of the time I do. But we all know that the unexpected can happen no matter what level you wheel, and there is no guarantee that I for one, can figure out how the heck to get an undriveable rig from the mountains of PA back to South Jersey on a Sunday (like that one time I lost power brakes).

Heck, I pay plenty to play, but nothing anyone can say here will make me get a pickup truck. Let alone a deisel. May as well lay off me & go bash the guys towing with a unibody. At least my D has a frame. Move on.

Heck, I pay plenty to play, but nothing anyone can say here will make me get a pickup truck. Let alone a deisel. May as well lay off me & go bash the guys towing with a unibody. At least my D has a frame. Move on.

Sounds to me like you can't afford one so you are being a baby about it.

Who said anything about a truck?

What about a Diesel Toureg V10 TDI Twin Turbo? They have more power pulling 310 hp and 553 ft/lb of torque and they are a unibody. It'll tow great and you don't have to own a truck.

ZRTrailer.jpg

Holy crap!! That's right up my alley - thanx for the heads up.

And with an MSRP of 68k, it'll be painless on the wallet too. You're a genius!! :D

:eek:hnoes:

Photo0075.jpg

I've also towed Xjs on the highway, city, and country roads. It's not difficult, just use common sense and not be an idiot. Understand what you have behind you, and understand that you aren't capable of stopping fast, fast lane changes, or steep on ramps so pay attention. However, that's where the common sense should chime in.

I just don't tow. But then I live where I can wheel close to home. And why not a diesel? That solves your gassy problem. They get as good as my wife's minivan.

Two worst towing setups I've seen:

- Wrangler, lifted with mud terrains, pulling a Cutlass Supreme on a car hauler. Scary.

- ZJ, pulling two Samurais on a trailer. Brake lights didn't work on the trailer, so I'll assume he didn't have trailer brakes either. At least he was only going 40mph or so, and he did pull over so I could go around him with my Tahoe and trailer.

The V10 TDI Touareg is a badass vehicle and could probably rip a McDonald's in half. But I think the wheelbase is about 112" and the overall length is 187". That's pretty short. For reference, a Tahoe is 110/200, a Grand Cherokee is about 105/180, and a Crew Cab short bed truck is about 150/240.

It's not always about horsepower.

The V10 TDI Touareg is a badass vehicle and could probably rip a McDonald's in half. But I think the wheelbase is about 112" and the overall length is 187". That's pretty short. For reference, a Tahoe is 110/200, a Grand Cherokee is about 105/180, and a Crew Cab short bed truck is about 150/240.

It's not always about horsepower.

It isn't 'THAT' short so it tows pretty well. It is also heavy which is a plus (5736 lb)

It can tow a 747 plane though :D

WTH are you thinking? The XJ+trailer combo does out weigh your tow rig. In the towing world that = bad things in stopping and handling an emergency maneuver.
Not true. What does your Powerstroke weigh? 7k? So, are you saying that you will not tow more than 7k with that vehicle? Have you checked the weight of a 30ft 5th wheel? Yup, probably right about 7k. Go up to a high end 36 with four slides and you are around 12k. As long as the vehicle and trailer are properly equipped for the load, it's fine.

Here's mine. It's a loaded 1999 Chevy Suburban K2500. Vortec 454, 4L80E, 14 bolt FF with a limited slip. It has an auxiliary battery, Power Vision mirrors, aircraft landing lights, 10 ply tires, Tork Lift Stable Loads, and I am currently in the middle of installing OBA.

Not true. What does your Powerstroke weigh? 7k? So, are you saying that you will not tow more than 7k with that vehicle? Have you checked the weight of a 30ft 5th wheel? Yup, probably right about 7k. Go up to a high end 36 with four slides and you are around 12k. As long as the vehicle and trailer are properly equipped for the load, it's fine.
You obviously failed to read the whole thread...

:eek:hnoes:

Photo0075.jpg

I've also towed Xjs on the highway, city, and country roads. It's not difficult, just use common sense and not be an idiot. Understand what you have behind you, and understand that you aren't capable of stopping fast, fast lane changes, or steep on ramps so pay attention. However, that's where the common sense should chime in.

Very offsubject, but that it a sweet looking XJ.

Back