• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

And another failure. Shortly after the rebuilt engine install, the battery died. Checked the positive leads, and one of the double green wires off of the starter relay went to ground. Took it off, no more battery drain. The other day, I cut one of the leads, and found which one was grounded. It goes to the dome light fuse. Making an ass out of me, I assumed that the ground was between the engine and the fuse box. Ran a new lead, and, still sparking when the battery terminal is installed. Didn't even think to test after the fuse in the fuse box. DOH!

I temporarily added about 4" of lift to the front by ditching more of the Jeep out of my Jeep yesterday!

Its a long slow process lately, but I'll eventually get this back in the 4.0s place to settle it back down in front. I'm still waiting on the SYE for the 241.
2007 GM Gen III 4.8l, 2003 4l80e, mid 90's 241c. Novak headers and mounts.

The list of what's left from the original is getting much shorter these days.

I temporarily added about 4" of lift to the front by ditching more of the Jeep out of my Jeep yesterday!

Its a long slow process lately, but I'll eventually get this back in the 4.0s place to settle it back down in front. I'm still waiting on the SYE for the 241.
2007 GM Gen III 4.8l, 2003 4l80e, mid 90's 241c. Novak headers and mounts.

The list of what's left from the original is getting much shorter these days.

Curious what's the overall length of that 4.8 and 4l80 icompared to the 4.0 and aw4...Am thinking future thoughts here for if and when my 4.0 dies .

I don't have the SYE for the tcase to get the full driveline measurement, but motor and trans is a couple inches shorter.

Rough measure is 54.5" for the 4.8 and 4l80. (5.3 and 6.0 would be the same.) This is with the truck accessory drive winch sticks forward a bit more than the car accessories, so it would be even shorter with those.

Jeep 4.0 and AW4 is about 57"

Actual engine placement front to rear is set by the mounts, so I'm not sure how the end tcase yoke placements will be compared to stock.

I'm having a lapse in memory here, but I think the 241 had the same problem as the gm 263 with the pump eventually slicing thru the rear case halve. Theres a company who makes an different pump housing to prevent it. If you have your tcase apart, I highly recommend you look into it. I'd assume it does, since this problem happened on the Tahoe's all the way to the 3500's

I don't have the SYE for the tcase to get the full driveline measurement, but motor and trans is a couple inches shorter.

Rough measure is 54.5" for the 4.8 and 4l80. (5.3 and 6.0 would be the same.) This is with the truck accessory drive winch sticks forward a bit more than the car accessories, so it would be even shorter with those.

Jeep 4.0 and AW4 is about 57"

Actual engine placement front to rear is set by the mounts, so I'm not sure how the end tcase yoke placements will be compared to stock.

I have plenty of room to to go back and if it shorter I just need to move my axle a bit forward to adjust frony driveshaft length...lol...those measurements pretty much seal the deal when it comes time to replace the 4.0...lol...probably 2018 I wanna wheel all of 2017 before another big project , well when it's done let me know we can run Carnage my rig should be hardcore trail ready by then

Specific reason for the 4.8? Other than they take boost well. :D

I wish I had a better reason, but it is a mistake that it's a 4.8. I thought it was a 5.3 when I bought it, but when I pulled the pan, it was the 4.8 crank. Thanks to GM making them basically identical, it's a little bit of a gamble. By the time I saw this, I had already been through all of the wiring harness modifications. In retrospect, the one thing that I should have caught is the 4l80 flex plate. Only 4l60s came behind 5.3s.

Even as a 4.8, i got a really good deal on it and it only has 86k miles. I thought about making some crank changes or finding a different motor, but I'm trying to keep the budget down since this wasn't a planned swap. In the end, 1ton is right. It's still 100 horse on the old motor.

If this one ever dies, it's a quick bolt in swap now to a 6.0!

I got a few things done in preparation for the axle swap this weekend.

4dc77f3cbbedf7b6ee8a69364a97b244.jpg

b96874efc2e2d9e57098f095b06f1061.jpg

b28169c7570b33734cf9eb5babb210a3.jpg

I wanna wheel all of 2017 before another big project

Me too!!!

I was 2 slow years under the knife 2013-2015, then made 2 days in 2015 (destroyed front axle) and 2 days in 2016 (seized motor). Hoping for a good 2017.

This lack of wheeling is getting old!

Back