• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WF Bi##ch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind...it is Attica.
there are not many options.
there isn't a grand selection of catering and Halls to choose from.
this thread is a good step towards making adjustments for WF12.

BOB

It did sound like the woman at the VFW was being a bit witchy. Bear in mind that we did fill the hall up pretty well. Sean counted 127 people during the dinner.

I do think that part of that particular problem was too many of us were trying to be helpful. One of us should be the primary contact with the VFW, and the rest of us need to talk to that person.

Jennie and I stopped at the Paragon restaurant on the way out of Attica. The staff was very friendly, we chatted, she said that Kyle owns the place.

There is a dining room downstairs that looked big enough for our event.

Just sayin.

It did sound like the woman at the VFW was being a bit witchy. Bear in mind that we did fill the hall up pretty well. Sean counted 127 people during the dinner.

I do think that part of that particular problem was too many of us were trying to be helpful. One of us should be the primary contact with the VFW, and the rest of us need to talk to that person.

bitching at people about making sure the chairs go EXACTLY where they were was stupid, and I probably would have told her where to go. and WTF they made us take out the trash?

Isn't that why we pay them?

bitching at people about making sure the chairs go EXACTLY where they were was stupid, and I probably would have told her where to go. and WTF they made us take out the trash?

Isn't that why we pay them?

I was told "If we take out the trash, we could have our security deposit back". I am sure we were never required to do this! She insured that we will see if there is somewhere else in Attica. Robies has been good to us, so Id like to keep them if possible.

The owner of the Hotel Attica wanted to be considered for next year. They have several dining rooms, but I don't know if they would hold all of us or be competitive on meals.

Just a suggestion.

I'm a big advocate of separating and staggering trail runs. At one point, BOB's group had 22 rigs. We (the front vehicles) were clearing one or two more obstacles before the end of the group had gotten over the first. A lot of chatter over the cb's clogged up the station making communication a bit more difficult. I remember at one point my radio transmission had been interrupted 3 times when trying to communicate to the driver behind me the simple words of "Xin, I'm clear."

I'm in favor of the idea of using the pavilion for the potluck. Just make sure there is electricity there before we set up and have to move.

Aside from those two things, I think it was a lot smoother than last year, though it was a bit smaller too. Either way, it was a good WF.

My one bi##ch purely concerns the raffle. There were several folks as we all know that put hundreds of dollars towards the raffle which contributes to NAXJA. These guys either sold parts all year, or worked hard for this money and were willing to give it away at the chance of winning everything or nothing.

There were some individuals that purchased very few (or no) tickets that were getting bent out of shape over the same couple guys repeatedly getting their numbers called. I understand it's frustrating when you don't win something, but people need to realize that this is a probability game; the more you put in, the better your chance of winning.

As one of the folks that did contribute a decent amount (and not nearly as much as some), I think it is discouraging to be rudely singled out every time your number is called for an additional prize. I understand some of these comments were in jest, but others did not have that tone. That being said, I'm sure all the guys that do contribute large amounts will continue to in the future. I just think some folks should have better manners regarding this event.

As far as the rest of Winterfest goes, I think everything was great. This is my third year in attendance, and I have thoroughly enjoyed each one more than the last. Thanks to all that help make it possible!

Last edited:
Collin, does this refer to the remarks I made to you as you were winning or remarks made from people in the crowd? Anything I would have said would have been in jest. I dont recall making any remarks, but I had a few "beverages" throughout the night...hence that is why I gave away a free winch :doh: (actually it was a conscious decision on my part, not driven by beverages at all)

Cheeseman

I dont recall making any remarks, but I had a few "beverages" throughout the night...hence that is why I gave away a free winch :doh: (actually it was a conscious decision on my part, not driven by beverages at all)

Cheeseman

I think this was the best decision you made all night :laugh:

Collin, does this refer to the remarks I made to you as you were winning or remarks made from people in the crowd? Anything I would have said would have been in jest. I dont recall making any remarks, but I had a few "beverages" throughout the night...hence that is why I gave away a free winch :doh: (actually it was a conscious decision on my part, not driven by beverages at all)

Cheeseman

This had nothing to do with your comments Tyler, I know when someone is joking :) (and I think most were). There were just a few comments from others in the crowd that I didn't recognize towards the repeat winners that were uncalled for.

Please don't kill me, but as an outsider just being at the park for the day, but maybe have a no dinner or extra things just the trail runs. Make it maybe 1/2 price that way people are still contributing to the event, but if they want to leave right after they air up, they can (and not have to pay for a meal they wouldn't use).

Please don't kill me, but as an outsider just being at the park for the day, but maybe have a no dinner or extra things just the trail runs. Make it maybe 1/2 price that way people are still contributing to the event, but if they want to leave right after they air up, they can (and not have to pay for a meal they wouldn't use).
I don't think this is a bad idea. That being said, I do think skipping on the dinner is. The company we maintain is excellent. It's often a draw as to who you sit with and you get the good chance of really getting some insight to a personality you never saw before. Plus you can win free stuff.

Since I have an internet reputation to maintain:

30 bucks is 4 combos at Wendy's. Or 7.5 beers at your local bar. Or about a half a tank of gas.

I don't think you honestly understand how much this event costs. There is no profit for the chapter in registration. 1 sticker, 1 dash plaque, 1 t-shirt, and 1 dinner and you've got 30 bucks.

If you're looking for a cheaper way to wheel, there's probably a better option than the fees the badlands charges you anyway. I spent 35 bucks for a YEAR pass to Harlan. UWharrie is still 35 bucks a year I think as well. If you're going to be cheap, then be cheap.

If you want to come to WF, come to WF. There's no free big brother ride alongs here. It is what it is.

If you don't (or won't) spend 30 bucks to come wheel with us and trade stories around the banquet table, then don't come. You're not the kind of person I'd want to wheel with anyway.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

If $30 makes or breaks the trip, you need a different hobby or, it's likely that it's in your best interest to not attend.

^like

My one bi##ch purely concerns the raffle. There were several folks as we all know that put hundreds of dollars towards the raffle which contributes to NAXJA. These guys either sold parts all year, or worked hard for this money and were willing to give it away at the chance of winning everything or nothing.

There were some individuals that purchased very few (or no) tickets that were getting bent out of shape over the same couple guys repeatedly getting their numbers called. I understand it's frustrating when you don't win something, but people need to realize that this is a probability game; the more you put in, the better your chance of winning.

As one of the folks that did contribute a decent amount (and not nearly as much as some), I think it is discouraging to be rudely singled out every time your number is called for an additional prize. I understand some of these comments were in jest, but others did not have that tone. That being said, I'm sure all the guys that do contribute large amounts will continue to in the future. I just think some folks should have better manners regarding this event.

As far as the rest of Winterfest goes, I think everything was great. This is my third year in attendance, and I have thoroughly enjoyed each one more than the last. Thanks to all that help make it possible!

I learned a long time ago the more tickets you buy the better your chances of winning are at the raffle.....I did quite well and I just want to let everyone know that reads this that most of the items I won ended up in my friends hands and all of them were very thankful. There were only a couple of items on the table that I could use and I didn't win any of those, I just wanted to donate a little more to the chapter and have fun doing it.

To those of you that have a problem with that, I am sorry.

Josh nails it again. There is very little, if any at all, mark up in the WF registration fees. If we start to break it down and sell items such as a registration minus shirts or meals etc, it makes it a nightmare for those that are running registration. Please remember that all the WF staff and the BOD are doing all this for FREE and we all incur expenses that are related to getting ready for this event and we just personally adsorb those costs to make the event go without a hitch. There is always a complaint about the dinner pricing, the facilities etc, but we have really out grown most all options in Attica and we are honestly doing the best that we can with the available options. We are currently looking into alternate venues for the location of the dinner and raffle. Also, keep in mind that the dinner cost to the chapter is so "X" dollars per serving, and when "X" people are there, the caterer adds more help to the bill and they expect a tip. There was talk of raising the dinner price this year but we as a planning committee and BOD decided to keep it the same to the participants. We do not look to raise the registration fee to make a profit, we just want to cover the expenses incured with the event. The main revenue generator for the chapter is the raffle at Winterfest. These funds are used to promote and maintain the membership growth program and the matching land use program. We have to maintain a miminum balance so that we have the funds to pay deposits and up front fees associated for next years WF. We are going to be working on the numbers from this years WF and the BOD is shooting to have a report to the members in the coming month.

If $30 makes or breaks the trip, you need a different hobby or, it's likely that it's in your best interest to not attend.

This pretty much sums that up. I only had to drive 2 hours and spent well over 100 in fuel alone. This isn't a cheap hobby.

I won a really nice RC banner and hat (thanks Jason, looks great in my garage)

I won a T-shirt and a hoodie.

This cost me $150, last year was close to the same result with a large buy-in. You don't always sweep with a large buy in.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back