• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WF Bi##ch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned a long time ago the more tickets you buy the better your chances of winning are at the raffle.....I did quite well and I just want to let everyone know that reads this that most of the items I won ended up in my friends hands and all of them were very thankful. There were only a couple of items on the table that I could use and I didn't win any of those, I just wanted to donate a little more to the chapter and have fun doing it.

To those of you that have a problem with that, I am sorry.

Gotta spend money to make money. I didn't spend as much money as some of you guys but if you don't win it goes back to the chapter for other events, etc. I gave the guys who won multiple times crap about it but just because I didn't win them. :D

Since I have an internet reputation to maintain:

30 bucks is 4 combos at Wendy's. Or 7.5 beers at your local bar. Or about a half a tank of gas.

I don't think you honestly understand how much this event costs. There is no profit for the chapter in registration. 1 sticker, 1 dash plaque, 1 t-shirt, and 1 dinner and you've got 30 bucks.

If you're looking for a cheaper way to wheel, there's probably a better option than the fees the badlands charges you anyway. I spent 35 bucks for a YEAR pass to Harlan. UWharrie is still 35 bucks a year I think as well. If you're going to be cheap, then be cheap.

If you want to come to WF, come to WF. There's no free big brother ride alongs here. It is what it is.

If you don't (or won't) spend 30 bucks to come wheel with us and trade stories around the banquet table, then don't come. You're not the kind of person I'd want to wheel with anyway.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I couldn't agree with you more Josh.

1 sticker, 1 dash plaque, 1 t-shirt, and 1 dinner and you've got 30 bucks.
Keep the sticker, dash plaque, t shirt, and dinner. I don't drink alcohol (and only soda on rare occasions I go out to eat) and go cheap for dinner (today I spend a total of about 10 dollars for food all day). I spend 27 dollars for 30 one liter bottles of water and refill them with tap water and replace the bottles about every 6 months. I was just saying that I enjoy the trail time. While I don't want to cheap out the website, just a trail ride (especially if you are going to do an all day thing where you can only be in with people you know if you do the event when they are doing the trail) option would be nice.

Keep the sticker, dash plaque, t shirt, and dinner. I don't drink alcohol (and only soda on rare occasions I go out to eat) and go cheap for dinner (today I spend a total of about 10 dollars for food all day). I spend 27 dollars for 30 one liter bottles of water and refill them with tap water and replace the bottles about every 6 months. I was just saying that I enjoy the trail time. While I don't want to cheap out the website, just a trail ride (especially if you are going to do an all day thing where you can only be in with people you know if you do the event when they are doing the trail) option would be nice.

For most of us, its not about the trail ride, its about seeing friends you only see once a year. I don't drink either but that doesn't stop me from standing around the fire with my friends! We all understand about money being tight but I am willing to make the sacrifice of working lots of overtime to be able to do what I love! I saw you there with Jeremy and the others from IndyORV and didn't get a chance to say hi or meet you. They are also a great group of guys. We do things a little different here and we aren't trying to run you off at all. I'm out there to have a good time with everyone, NAXJA or not i'm just giving you insight from my point of view.

Before this thread derails any more, I'll say this. I don't own a Jeep anymore and I spent a significant amount to go to WF this year anyway. It's about more than trail time. The Badlands is open almost 365 days a year, if you want to get trail time in with friends, do it then. Not coming down on you but if you want to have as cheap of a time as you can, don't do WF; attend an informal run. There are always trail runs being planned in the Planning subforum.

/soapbox

I agree with this I have a stock xj with no tow points or cb I could drive to badlands any time to wheel I paid the fee to meet new people and support the club. We not trying to be jerks about this but thats what winter fest is about it's the people and time with them. By the way we met in the quarry i was in the black xj sorry i wasnt more social wasn't feeling good when we met.

I'll say nothing but thanks. I paid for an NAXJA sponsored event, bought raffle tickets, and attended winterfest as a supporting member of a jeep club. I continue to do so based upon the incredible organization of these events and the guys involved. I'd rather pay extra to wheel with guys i can count on, that have safety requirements in mind, and know the trails well enough to keep me and others safe. I'm sure if someone has a problem with those things they will find another club, and if NAXJA MWC changes that, i'll find another club.

However the guys in green sweathshirts are quite a bit uglier than i remembered, and i believe the ability to split the runs down into smaller groups was a possibility-but really didn't bother me. Thanks for all those that worked their butts off so guys like me could drive in, enjoy an event and leave.

Trails were split both days. I would support a "wheel only" fee of about $20, if the membership wants. Of course that would be up to the supporting club members.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I do not make excuses, not my style.

So here are some facts to further elaborate on my previous post.

We do not make any money on the dinner, none. In fact, after all is said and done, the dinner loses us money. We fully expect a price increase next year, it has been at least 3 years since any change in price. We make a small amount of money on the stickers and shirts, the main source of our income is the raffle. Some people dump a massive amount of cash into the raffle and without them we would be cutting it very close.

Your BOD looks for ways every year to keep WF as affordable as we can. We look for ways to cut costs, think about higher fees for non-members, trail fees, and helping out by reducing dinner fees for kids. We will look at these things for next year, we really are trying to keep this event reasonable.

This input is vital to helping us out, we want to know what the membership wants, and how you want us to proceed. It needs to be said that members will get the final say, non-members input is valuable, but it is the members that we are responsible too, and it is them we work for.

Next years planning has started.

Thanks again for all the input, and keep it coming.

Rev

I dunno, I didn't get a plaque, sticker, shirt, or dinner and still paid my $30. I was disappointed I got there late and missed out on the start of the trail runs. I stopped and asked some folks starting Revs Run where I could find the green trail people, but info was limited. I still appreciated the effort in trying to help me out. It was my first time at Badlands and we ended up getting lost on the trails going out on our own. Later, I couldn't find the quarry and finally stopped and asked for directions after roaming around for some time. Some nice folks lead us there, didn't catch your names, but thanks again. My buddy and I talked to a couple of guys in the quarry, again didn't catch your names, but appreciated that you guys stepped up to talk to us. As a new guy around here, it was easy to get lost in the mix not knowing anyone. I was hoping that dinner would end better, but we headed back early with the weather turning. So all in all, I spent around $460 (gas, wf cost, badlands entry, and food) to wheel on my own and talk briefly with a few people. :thumbup: BUT, it got me excited about my XJ and I figure I got a year to get to know y'all better for next time.

??

So you were the guy that we stopped for?

You should have waited for me to come to you, I was on my way when you decided to head to green.

I could have gotten you all sorted out.

Rev

??

So you were the guy that we stopped for?

You should have waited for me to come to you, I was on my way when you decided to head to green.

I could have gotten you all sorted out.

Rev

Maybe we should have set chan. for the trails instead of having the trail leader pick one at the line up. That way if someone is late they can get ahold of thier "TL" to find out where they are at.

Porta-pots at the reg. area.

JIM.

Porta-pots at the reg. area.

Yeah, this was kind of a bummer for my wife and daughter; I would think for some of the other ladies too. The Badlands probably made as much money off us in the two days as they did for the month before us. They could have dropped at least one porta-potty down there for us. The first words out of my wife's mouth as we decended the hill to the lower lot was "hmmm, no porta-potties". Might be a good suggestion to them for next year.

I know they aren't down in the parking lot area, but they do have bathrooms and showers available directly across from the main office. Not to far of a drive, better than going back to the campground.

THANKS GOES OUT TO ALL THE VOLUNTEERS!!! This event would not happen without ya!!!

I know they aren't down in the parking lot area, but they do have bathrooms and showers available directly across from the main office. Not to far of a drive, better than going back to the campground.

Unloading, tech inspection, driver's meeting, bullshitting with friends new and old while drinking coffee. It's a long walk back up that hill while all this is happening. It was just a thought for a way that the Badlands could better accomodate us. I think it's a reasonable request from them.

BTW, you missed out on the free wheel I brought for you. Didn't know who you were and tried to find you.

Unloading, tech inspection, driver's meeting, bullshitting with friends new and old while drinking coffee. It's a long walk back up that hill while all this is happening. It was just a thought for a way that the Badlands could better accomodate us. I think it's a reasonable request from them.

Understandable

BTW, you missed out on the free wheel I brought for you. Didn't know who you were and tried to find you.

A free wheel for a spare on my jeep? Damn, I missed ya!!

I know that we've beat the horse enough, one more note:

Check out the cost to go to a Jeep Jambo, or nearly ANYother event. We are cheap for what you get, the information on this site you cannot find anywhere else, the people are the top of the Jeep food chain, if $30 is too much for this type of event/education, then you may fall into the 1% that we can't make happy.

Andrew (SnoTrax), again I'm sorry that things worked out the way they did, next year you'll remember the time zone change and hopefully I'll be there for the offical ride as well, I'd rather be wheeling than changing a starter in the mud. You missed a great dinner but the roads continued to get worse through the night. See ya next year.

I'd also like to make a point that those of us that are 'in charge' (for lack of better words) have a million things to be thinking about, this year I set a goal to meet new people and meet the people that I have missed in the years past. My best advice for the new people is to say 'hey, I'm (insert name), who are you?'. I have a hard time remembering everyone I meet, and now that the event host over 150 people it's getting even harder. If anyone feels like they don't belong because they're new, YOU'RE WRONG.

dan

Maybe next year we should have separate Trail Color Stickies on the WF Thread. People can register and find what trail he wants to participate in and then he can find all the info he needs on that Trail Color Thread.

I also believe we need to set a time that we absolutely leave to start the trail. I heard a few negative comments about waiting so long.

The port-o-potty is something we should consider. By noon, my group was happy to hear we were headed to the womens bathroom.

Rev is correct about the raffle, without it we would not exist. Those raffle items go to the winner whether we sell 5000 tickets or 50. We need to keep the Raffle strong.

BOB

With the dinner being such a problem. Price and amount/quality of food. Why not have the pot luck at the hall. Just a thought.

I am moving later this season as to why I was not in attendance I have to save the pennies for it. Last year it cost the us about 500 bucks for the trip and I just didn't have the doe this year.

But seriously if the Dinner is such a big problem for people and everyone LOVES the potluck lets just do the Potluck there!

Re: trail starting times. IMHO, considering that the park gates open at 9:00 AM, anything earlier than 10:00 AM would be very aggressive considering the size that WF has grown to. I stood in line at the park gate for 20 minutes alone on Saturday morning, and I still had to register for the event, go through tech inspection, etc.

It'd be nice to see groups of a dozen or less on the trail. BOB's green group was 22 long? Even under the best of conditions, that's too many. I'm not complaining, until the K5 got stuck, the group hung together pretty well. With the time we spent getting him unstuck, we did lose contact with the main group. Again, this isn't a complaint, it's just the way that larger groups end up working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back