• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

It wasn't a weekend task but this past Wednesday I changed out the water pump, belt and thermostat on the Grand. Also flushed and added new coolant to get ready for winter. I also swapped the A/C compressor pulley out as the bearing was failing in a horrible way.

All seems to be much better. Now to get the oil changed, rotate the tires and reinstall the front driveshaft.

I'm getting old and it took it's toll on me. I felt like I'd been beat after I got done.

Put roughly 400 road miles on the jeep this past weekend. Also wheeled Big Creek again but this time for my own pleasure and not as a trail guide. It was a small group of only 4 rigs so we played around on the obstacles and tried various lines. It was a good time.

Worked on my tow rig yesterday. It didn't quite fit all the way in the shop while on the lift.

Does this shop make my butt look big? :rolleyes:

There has been a "whirring" noise coming from the clutch area when I release the clutch. I was hoping it was just the release bearing, but now that it's all back together, it still makes the noise :mad:

Oh well, at least now I know the release bearing isn't about to fly apart. It's a Ford F-350 and at some point it looks to have been converted to a single mass flywheel, but to be honest I've never seen a dual mass flywheel in person to compare, it just looks like a normal old flywheel to me. I've heard that single mass flywheel style clutches make noises similar to what I'm experiencing, but since I've never actually heard another one that's confirmed to be the source of the noise to compare it to, it has me worried that it's the input shaft bearing in the transmission.

The strangest thing about it is this:

If I'm coming up to a red light or stop sign, I can take it out of gear and release the clutch while I'm still rolling. When I come to a stop, there's no noise. If I push in the clutch pedal and release it, the noise returns. Same thing when I keep the clutch pushed in when coming up to a stop, then release. Noise is there. Weird. Can anyone shed some light on that?
If it's a single mass it will make more noise than a dual mass. A dual mass has springs in it to take out most of the noise you hear.

I'm hoping that's what it is, but I was also under the assumption that the single mass noise was more along the lines of a vibratory sound when the engine is lugged a bit. Who knows. If it really starts bugging me I'll yank it back out and have my transmission guy go through it just to be sure lol

I think we're all there, my friend. What used to be an in and out, 2 hour job now takes me all day and it feels like I've been dragged behind a truck when I'm done.
I agree. Spent 8 hours Sunday taking everything apart, welding the front cage together, cleaning, painting and putting it back together. My dad came by to do the welding and I did everything else. I just now feel normal again.
87a09238de9d83cb36d0c24067f9fca6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

I don't feel so bad now. It is no fun getting older.

On a side note, I swapped the A/C compressor pulley out when I did my water pump on the Grand. The bearing was on it's way out - like you could see the ball bearings behind the snap ring. We had unplugged the compressor to be able to use the defrost. Well, I plugged it back up and the air blows ice cold and it doesn't squeal or anything. I feel dumb for not looking into it sooner. Good news is the wife is happier now.

Replaced the 2 bolts for the PS leaf spring plate that I broke at Jeeptoberfest. REALLY need to get those front leaves parallel so that stops happening.

Pressure washed inside and out. I was amazed it still has floors...I thought it was just dirt.

Also mounted a CJ mirror to the DS front fender so when I have the doors off I have 1 side view, then reattached the button for the rear view mirror on the windshield.

Took my door speakers out and SQUEEZED them in where the factory tweeters would go and hooked them up so I have music again.

Some friends and I went to the Wheeling in the Country Halloween ride. It was a good event as usual. Didn't break anything and made the 90 mile ride home safely.

Started getting the fuel system back in Friday afternoon on the Mj. Found out there was two pumps. So I have to return my Delphi pump to Rock auto and order a Bosch one. Saturday I went with L Glenn to get the Mercedes he worked all summer to help pay for.

1973 Mercedes 280 SE with the 4.5L v-8.

He also got a spare motor and axle and transmission out of the deal. Cleaned up fairly nice. There is an issue with the rear trunk lid and the back glass is broken out. Other than that it's a solid car with little if any rust in it.

Sunday I sat around with Deanna watching different shows and then installed my replacement rear shaft for the URE FLog this weekend.

After it sitting at a friends house for a year, with my garage finished I brought this girl home finally- but not after rebuilding the fuel rail that was gushing gas after being perfectly fine a few months back.

zFZV6tj.jpg

Anyone want my '74 Trans Am? The last couple years it's not been running, realized it's beyond my time and money capabilities to do things properly. It's got a rebuilt and slightly hotter 455 motor, turbo 400 trans, and Nevada rust-free metal. Ideally it needs a complete paint stripping, new plastic and rubber on bumpers and new interior. Nevada sun really did a number on it, but rare to find such nice sheet metal this side of the country

Words of truth today from my 8 year old daughter:

Dad, why do people buy Jeeps if they don't go off-roading?

Will how do you get your winch out when it breaks? Doesn't look like that bumper will come off.......

Just unbolt the winch and catch it before it hits the ground. Mine is the same way.

ah ok. Mine has a plate that protects it. It was also a full bumper at one time so it all unbolts.

Back