• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

95 5 speed. Was used in ECORS for a couple seasons. I know I'll put my ton's under it. Not sure what transfer case I'll use yet. Probably run a sticky tire with raceline's I think. I want this one lighter then mine.

You are going to have so much fun

I hope so Doug! So we got hit pretty hard by the Hurricane Matthew in my area. Lots of trees down everywhere in Hartsville. No power at home. Estimate is some time this week to restore it. Deanna has a tree top dangling over her driveway and a tree pushed over beside her house that will need to be cut up and burned. This storm did way more damage then they expected. I'm at work mainly because my office has power......

I spent all weekend working on the new Bagwell Mobile home.

Currently replumbing the whole thing. Patched up a bunch of wiring from a tire blow out and generally fixing everything the PO did or didn't do.

Fun stuff. Next is trying to get the generator running.

20161006_210838_zpslyxxpx8m.jpg

20161008_192926_zpskkw5g4fr.jpg

Nice view of the junk yard from up here.

20161007_175353_zpsdvmliuub.jpg

Last edited:
These dudes are seriously smart on gensets. Helped when I was working on mine.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Yeah, they are. Looks like this one is missing the Governor Controll Module. Looks like it was ripped out when the tire blew out. Problem is that I don't want to spend $200 on a new controller when I don't know if the set needs anything else. I'd hate to spend that on the controller and it still need another $500 part.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162568

That's an extremely expensive and reliable generator. I would spend the money to fix it.

I picked up a Microquiet 4000 from an older gentlemen that worked at the county lot repairing big vehicles. It was a pull out from an RV and obviously hadn't ran in a while. I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel pump and it fired right up. We used it this weekend when the power went out. Brand new that genset is $2000.

Even if you put $500 in it, you're money ahead. They're used on ebay for $2500 and that one is already hooked up to your RV.

Last edited:
Just got back from Express in LaVergne during my lunch break. I found a bumper shell, grill and battery tie down for the '98 Grand Cherokee. At least I can get the hose put back together like it should be.

Just got back from Express in LaVergne during my lunch break. I found a bumper shell, grill and battery tie down for the '98 Grand Cherokee. At least I can get the hose put back together like it should be.

I went back to Express and looked around a bit more. I went ahead and grabbed a battery tray for the Grand and found all the bolts and straps for a front driveshaft. Was a good trip. Not a lot to choose from though.

I also got a set of Chrysler factory service manuals for the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, both the main book and the body diagnostic manual. Lots and lots of detailed information in these books.

Saturday I'm planning to get the Grand's cooling system flush done. I'm also going to install a new water pump, thermostat, idler pulleys, belt and coolant. I need to have it ready for winter.

I've got a list a mile long of upgrades and fixes to be made to get it where I want it to be. At least the weather is cooperating now with the much cooler temperatures.

Hellacious time today at LBL. We ran some of the coolest downhills. I blew out a rear window and a power steering box seal. I almost flopped also. Videos to come.

Your Jeep used to be so nice...

:D

I think most of us could say that. Most...

Surprised the GF with a trip to Charleston for her birthday this weekend. She had never been and it's been a couple years since I have. Considering a hurricane came through one week ago, you could barely tell. Everything was back to business as usual. Couldn't have asked for two nicer days in terms of weather either. Upper 70's and sunny both days. We didn't want to come home!

Well...

Alt replacement on one XJ. Replace both wheel cylinders in my soon to be DD XJ. And a TRE with ball joints and hub bearings on the wifes' WJ.

Busy weekend. On the plus side my new to me shop/garage should be ready to move in to the first week of Nov.

Actually, the part that fell out came home in a trash bag.

Here is Brian, climbing under the Jeep, while high centered, on that downhill, to put in the front drive shaft he figured he didn't need.
E722EF66-EDDE-48EA-B85F-C98FBEC1231D_zpsdiojaiwt.jpg

Here is the window
95481EB1-C66B-4715-A081-80322CA2EE5A_zpsmf5jgavu.jpg

Here are two videos. The first is my second run down this slope taken from the top on an iPhone. The second is, unfortunately, flooded from the noontime sun, but is good enough to see the off camber parts and where I busted out my rear window. Unfortunately, Brian's Jeep was too dark and it really didn't show up well on the video I shot of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caN6YkIBxg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBq9EveJTfI About 55 seconds in to this one is where it gets fun

Last edited:
Yes, I'm hard headed. No, I never dreamed we would find that hill!
I'll have pix up tomorrow.

Looks like there was a trail next to it. Were there two ways up and down it?

There were 4 trails that we could have gone down. We took the most challenging....just because we could.

I've started brainstorming on a window replacement.

Last edited:
There were 4 trails that we could have gone down. We took the most challenging....just because we could.

I've started brainstorming on a window replacement.

I hope in a few years to have a Jeep to take to places like that. If you were closer I'd give you one.... I'd seriously consider lexan or plexi in a smoke finish. Cut it out with a jig saw.

I'm actually working on a design for a hinged window. Once I busted it out, I used that window for access no less than a dozen times the rest of the trip.

Got me thinking....

Back