• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Just got back from Florida. Man what a trip.

Gutted the jeep.. getting frame stiffeners and sliders installed by Lennie @ Hartsville 4x4....
expecting to get jeep back ...... before xmas! lol

It came that way... shipping. I believe the freight guy would have had a hard time containing a bunch of tube rolling all over the back of the truck. lol

And the most fun too! It also makes quick work of pulling axles in the junkyard!
definitely, though we aren't allowed to take fire into the yards around here :(

Laziest axle removal ever a few days ago. My '78 F250 8 lug HD44 I just picked up came with the leafs still attached. So I fired the torch up and held it on the u-bolts till they stretched and melted... normally even a sawzall or angle grinder takes more energy, and I have to put my beer down!

definitely, though we aren't allowed to take fire into the yards around here :(

Laziest axle removal ever a few days ago. My '78 F250 8 lug HD44 I just picked up came with the leafs still attached. So I fired the torch up and held it on the u-bolts till they stretched and melted... normally even a sawzall or angle grinder takes more energy, and I have to put my beer down!

There's a yard not far from my parents house that, until recently I assume, let you bring whatever tools you wanted into the yard. Last year a couple friends and I were pulling a toyota 3rd member for a SFA conversion we were doing on one friend's 4Runner. We literally carried the torches from the back of the truck, wheeled them through the yard, and right up to the Toyota pick up we were robbing the axles from. Got one of the yard workers to bring the big forklift down and lift the truck up (they just drop them right down on the wheels, or the frame if they dont have wheels), and in a couple of minutes we had it cut off.

I said "until recently I assume" because earlier this year they had a fire that burned the place down. The "shop" area they used to bring each car in and prepare for the yard had years (decades) of oil, gas, coolant, and other chemicals all around the lift. Something about that and the oily rags...and their torches...and the fact they were cutting something off around the gas tank lead to an inferno. But if you saw the people that run/work at this place, you'd understand why...:gee:

It came that way... shipping. I believe the freight guy would have had a hard time containing a bunch of tube rolling all over the back of the truck. lol

lets see some pics. now you can wheel it. hahahahaha. most likely have my axles and tires sold. then its time to start my build.

For this weekend project I'm going to get a roof rack and mount it so i can make it to the rusty build off in bradyville, tn and then go camping after that with some friends. Roof basket gives me more storage and i want it so i can hold my hi-lift jack and a spare tire, not to mention lights. What roof basket do you recommend? I found this one http://www.discountramps.com/roof-rack-basket.htm and i hear with its light weight and optional extension it makes the perfect rack for its price and is good for a spare tire and jack to put on it, but i don't know about lights or overloading it with weight. But i have also found a used yakima load warrior rack. I don't know which one to get

roof baskets suck. They put your center of gravity way higher and you ll be very tippy. Gobi makes some sick racks.

roof baskets suck. They put your center of gravity way higher and you ll be very tippy. Gobi makes some sick racks.

They're not that bad. Yes, you'll notice a bit of a difference offroad with a rack on top, and especially if you throw a spare or a hi-lift up there, but it's really not that bad.

Been wheeling with a Surco and a 31" spare up top for several years now with zero issues.

I have one with a stupid 37" up there and haven't had any issues. I guess it depends alot on how you drive.

I must say, when hauling the family for a wheeling trip, the basket sure will hold alot of "stuff" that otherwise wouldn't fit in the Jeep.

Naaa Mark's xj isn't tippy... lol
37? you're nuts!

For this weekend project I'm going to get a roof rack and mount it so i can make it to the rusty build off in bradyville, tn and then go camping after that with some friends. Roof basket gives me more storage and i want it so i can hold my hi-lift jack and a spare tire, not to mention lights. What roof basket do you recommend? I found this one http://www.discountramps.com/roof-rack-basket.htm and i hear with its light weight and optional extension it makes the perfect rack for its price and is good for a spare tire and jack to put on it, but i don't know about lights or overloading it with weight. But i have also found a used yakima load warrior rack. I don't know which one to get

I looked hard for a load warrior, but I don't need to put my spare up there (carrier on the bumper). I think the tire will use the majority of the space. Tim and I both have Surcos. They are very useful, not just for camping but hauling pretty much anything. Also make good hammock attachments :) . I would suggest doing a floor in any one that you choose, it simplifies carrying anything.

Never had a problem with weight distribution. I guess mine is mostly a mall crawler item that never goes offroad anyways:rof:. I've always have something on the roof for bikes and boats.

ive got an olympic rack on my dd.... i like it cause it has the integrated roof rub rails on it.

i wheeled with a 35" spare on it and didnt feel that tippy. (the 35 is not in the pic)

IMG_20110714_164722.jpg

Back