• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Yes.

In what world does a soft-sprung short wheelbase SUV tow better than a 3/4 ton diesel truck?

Idk, but it does. The truck is lifted 6" on 37's. It rides rough. It's lost a bit of it's towing ability. It's a 6.0 Powerstroke with a turbo leak, it's down on power. This thing rides smooth and pulls strong with the LS 6.0.

I could hardly tell the Jeep was behind it at 70mph (Other than the sway and the headlights pointing up in the trees.)

When towing my Jeep home from Harlan behind that truck it was a white knuckle ride down those hills. Just ask Tim. He complained about my grandpa driving for 6 months.

Idk, but it does. The truck is lifted 6" on 37's. It rides rough. It's lost a bit of it's towing ability. It's a 6.0 Powerstroke with a turbo leak, it's down on power. This thing rides smooth and pulls strong with the LS 6.0.

I could hardly tell the Jeep was behind it at 70mph (Other than the sway and the headlights pointing up in the trees.)

When towing my Jeep home from Harlan behind that truck it was a white knuckle ride down those hills. Just ask Tim. He complained about my grandpa driving for 6 months.

So it's aftermarket modifications and lack of maintenance that make it tow like crap?

Damn right I complained about your driving on the way back from Harlan lol. You said it didn't have trailer brakes....so you rode the brakes down every hill, and carried no speed up the hills lol. Those of us behind you with half ton gassers need momentum for the uphill parts!

Your logic makes my head hurt lol! :looney:

So it's aftermarket modifications and lack of maintenance that make it tow like crap?

Damn right I complained about your driving on the way back from Harlan lol. You said it didn't have trailer brakes....so you rode the brakes down every hill, and carried no speed up the hills lol. Those of us behind you with half ton gassers need momentum for the uphill parts!

Your logic makes my head hurt lol! :looney:

Correct. I'm not saying this SUV will out-tow any F-250. I'm saying it out-tows THAT F-250.

Yes, aftermarket mods and poor maintenance is what makes it tow terrible. It's not my truck so I'm not changing any of that.

Right, I'd prefer drive slow and survive than haul ass and keep you happy. ;)

For the 1,000th time, I told ya'll to get in front of me. lol

Correct. I'm not saying this SUV will out-tow any F-250. I'm saying it out-tows THAT F-250.

Yes, aftermarket mods and poor maintenance is what makes it tow terrible. It's not my truck so I'm not changing any of that.

Right, I'd prefer drive slow and survive than haul ass and keep you happy. ;)

For the 1,000th time, I told ya'll to get in front of me. lol

We were trying! I revert back to my previous statement of momentum and you preventing us from getting any.

I felt really bad for Josh that day.

My 2009 Dodge 1500 pulls mine good. About 11 mpg on the interstate, just squats like a bitch. Hopefully next week I'll have a much better tow rig of my own.
93fbddd4e24169481422628f8c387f07.jpg

Shopping for insurance, does anyone have their trail rig insured? If so, what kind (comprehensive or full coverage)? Most companies will only insure 3-5000 of mods if they approve them and if you have full coverage. Probably leaning towards dropping it. I'm only worried about a fire.

My Jeep is insured and tagged, obviously. But it's liability only. Just to be able to drive it up and down the road at Harlan, Uwharrie and back and forth from Gulches.

Now that I have the stickies I'll probably drop it. You should be able to get special insurance just for fire.

It's under comprehensive. I just highly doubt I'd be able to get a whole lot back from it if something were to happen. Just need to talk to an agent. So far Nationwide has been he cheapest. Collision and comprehensive on my Altima and only comprehensive on my truck when I get it is not cheap for a 20 year old.

It's under comprehensive. I just highly doubt I'd be able to get a whole lot back from it if something were to happen. Just need to talk to an agent. So far Nationwide has been he cheapest. Collision and comprehensive on my Altima and only comprehensive on my truck when I get it is not cheap for a 20 year old.

No, you'll get whatever NADA says the Jeep is worth that way. You need to buy special insurance. You'll be luck to get 3k if that thing burns to the ground with full auto coverage.

I need to just get a definitive answer from an agent, they've all told me it's under comprehensive regardless of the aftermarket value of parts. I'll probably just drop it anyway. I'll take the risk.

(Granted we're in Florida)
I insure mine with full coverage. We use State Farm...all they asked is "What do you think it's worth"...I told them $6K...they said..."Here's what it will cost."

Never asked about mods or anything.

My 2009 Dodge 1500 pulls mine good. About 11 mpg on the interstate, just squats like a bitch. Hopefully next week I'll have a much better tow rig of my own.
93fbddd4e24169481422628f8c387f07.jpg

Shopping for insurance, does anyone have their trail rig insured? If so, what kind (comprehensive or full coverage)? Most companies will only insure 3-5000 of mods if they approve them and if you have full coverage. Probably leaning towards dropping it. I'm only worried about a fire.

What kind of tow rig? Duramax is the only way to go!!

I've been meaning to call my insurance company about a special policy for mine. Like you said I really only want it for fire and theft. I'd like it insured for about 20-25k. I would think it would be as easy as someone insuring a hot rod at a higher value. A buddy of mine has his Chevelle insured for 25k and he said it was like 400 a year. Here is a thread on Hardline about it. Seems to be very reasonable.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=9803.0

Interesting. Anyway, my friend offered me his 96 250k 7.3 4x4 5 speed for a good price. They seem to really hold their value well according to CL and other forums. 7k for the truck with an intake, exhaust, tuner, camper shell, gooseneck hitch, and a few other little things. And it's already built exactly how I want it. I've always like this body style and all OBS Fords.
bd922e15c8d3a0aa33dccd9ac17af284.jpg

cac08e1001b896f6575cb40f9bbca071.jpg

e2d132bc61b7d49ba2c1b0d4145abeca.jpg

Probably getting it very soon pending a test drive.

Interesting. Anyway, my friend offered me his 96 250k 7.3 4x4 5 speed for a good price. They seem to really hold their value well according to CL and other forums. 7k for the truck with an intake, exhaust, tuner, camper shell, gooseneck hitch, and a few other little things. And it's already built exactly how I want it. I've always like this body style and all OBS Fords.
bd922e15c8d3a0aa33dccd9ac17af284.jpg

cac08e1001b896f6575cb40f9bbca071.jpg

e2d132bc61b7d49ba2c1b0d4145abeca.jpg

Probably getting it very soon pending a test drive.

Looks like a nice truck. I just talked to my insurance agent, and he wont insure mine.

Bought a Jeep.

I need a weight distribution hitch. Think that would help with the squat and small amount of trailer sway that I have going on?

It's amazing how much better this thing tows than the F-250 I've been towing with.

20150324_200806_zpswgqf3zmw.jpg

After towing once with a WD hitch I swore I'd never tow a car hauler again without one. Night and day difference! No more front brakes locking up at inopportune moments, no getting jerked back into the seat every time I hit a decent sized dip or bump in the road. I also use a sway controller, which some may say is overkill, but I no longer cringe when a semi blows past me on the freeway because the trailer is rock steady.

After towing once with a WD hitch I swore I'd never tow a car hauler again without one. Night and day difference! No more front brakes locking up at inopportune moments, no getting jerked back into the seat every time I hit a decent sized dip or bump in the road. I also use a sway controller, which some may say is overkill, but I no longer cringe when a semi blows past me on the freeway because the trailer is rock steady.

Good to hear. I have a WD hitch on a camper at the house. I'll probably pull it off and stick it on one of these trailers to give it a try.

I had to play around with the position on the Jeep for a little while on my new setup. It was weird because just a few inches forward or back of where I finally settled would have a negative impact. I contribute it mostly to my 'Burbs rear suspension being fairly soft. The Dodge I towed with before wasn't nearly as sensitive. I weighed the tongue and got it close to where it needed to be, but still had to do a little trial & error to find a spot that I liked the best. It may or may not happen like that for you, but if it does don't give up, just play around with it a bit.

I had to play around with the position on the Jeep for a little while on my new setup. It was weird because just a few inches forward or back of where I finally settled would have a negative impact. I contribute it mostly to my 'Burbs rear suspension being fairly soft. The Dodge I towed with before wasn't nearly as sensitive. I weighed the tongue and got it close to where it needed to be, but still had to do a little trial & error to find a spot that I liked the best. It may or may not happen like that for you, but if it does don't give up, just play around with it a bit.

I mean, it felt super stable up to about 70mph. After that the trailer would sway a bit but not awful.

The only issue with the squat is my headlights being in the trees. lol

Back