• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Those look cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work. They look like they will not clean out mud very well, but some time with a grooving iron would fix that.

Yeah, I'm hoping to see how they do next weekend. I'm anxious to see how the sticky compound changes things.

Got them all mounted up yesterday. Starting with 10psi in the front and 7 in the rear. The side walls on these things are TOUGH.

20150308_182515_zpsp2yj0vr3.jpg

Last edited:
Every year I take a day off around my birthday to do a Jeep project and to visit a junkyard or two if time permits. Today was no different.

A few weeks back, after the wrenchfest at Ed's I acquired Boscos's swing arm from his Detours Tailbone system. He went to something way big with beadlocks so it was of no use to him. Thanks Brian, by the way!!

Over the course of the last few weeks I had to have a bushing made to fit the hinge and a bracket made to bolt it to. I had a local machine shop do the work. They did a nice job

This morning I headed over to KP's place to do a little welding. When I got there we first had to look over the new MJ, the 1/3 XJ he got from Andy, and the Hemi WK - then we got to work.

I have never welded before and I am terrible at it. This is the result of my first try.
1E4CFB92-A775-47E4-A906-481AC9FF523C_zpsrlnlb5ov.jpg

I had Kris do all the rest of the welding. This is the bracket that I had made:
325A3E25-8D2D-4002-B87F-3C8F19F6B76B_zpscdiqmfzy.jpg

We made a little shelf for the swing arm to rest on so as not to allow drooping:
B477B1E8-7144-4D56-9D13-7B9EF3EEE665_zpskqnbrneu.jpg

We went to the junkyard to look for ideas on how to make the latch work, thinking maybe we'd find an old Pathfinder, or Blazer or something where we could snag the latch mechanism. We didn't. Instead KP found a hood release latch from some Japanese pickup and it worked! The bump stop is from a tailgate of a Grand Cherokee. KP gave me an old XJ one, but I stopped back at the junkyard to see if I could find a different one with more threads. This is it.
6CA91D3E-2BB2-48C6-9579-48C8A07A64D7_zpswmocmi8p.jpg

And the final product....and let me publicly thank Kris for taking time out of his week to teach me to weld and helping me with the tire carrier swing out project!
24269F04-C2D4-4149-B30B-43EEEBE01206_zps8ze6qtxz.jpg

Note: Anti-Seize and Thread Locker Compounds are NOT the same.

Consequently, pinion bolts prefer thread locker over anti-seize and double cardan joints do not like eating pinion bolts.

Friday was a pallbearer at my Aunts Funeral.
Saturday hung out with family and rode a zip line one of my uncles bought and put up on his property.
Sunday headed home from Aiken, SC. What an adventure. LG wanted to leave early so I let him. As LB and I were about to pack he calls. Jeep is acting funny and the temp gauge pegged. I get there an hour later and its cooled down. Check it over and it's got oil on the passenger side and maybe oil in coolant. Not sure on that one. SO I add a quart and turn it over. It's running rough with a stumble. We were only about 20 miles from home so I decided to try and limp if home. Got about 4 miles and it started to warm up.... ok I'll hit the next exit a mile away. By the time I did that mile it was blowing white smoke and starting to warm up. I'm pretty sure the head gasket is gone. With 240K on this jeep I'll be looking for a motor with less miles to drop in. Unless I use the 92 I got from Nick. So we had a long day Sunday! Once I got home I worked some more on the heap getting ready for the Durhamtown Tellico run this weekend!

Friday I bought a new tow rig and sold my busted truck.

Saturday I pulled parts off of parts Jeeps to sell. Ordered a new double din head unit for the tow rig.
Then had to go pick my wife's Jeep up from town with the new tow rig. (Fuel pump died)

IMG_20150314_203152_zpsmjefjuah.jpg

Sunday, I replaced the fuel pump in my wife's Jeep, painted my JCR quarter guards and removed my rear flares.

Last edited:
Put my new (to me) tires and new wheels on the MJ. It's not pictured but I made a spare tire mount as well (the spare is standing straight up vs how you see it laying at an angle).
I ended up with 37X12.50-17 KM2's. I ordered 35X12.50-17 LTB's but apparently Interco has that tire made in China...and apparently there's a 130% tariff on Chinese made tires now. So they're all sitting in China in containers. So back to craigslist I went and the day these were posted I grabbed them. The wheels are 17X8 3.5" BS. Ended up costing me less than 4 new swampers and wheels would have so even though they're bigger (awe darn) than I wanted it works for me!

I also tweaked my front suspension a little and made the on road manners a fair bit better and now that's she's locked front and rear...has a good winch now...and more clearance under the pig of a 14B I think she's good to go! Except for the sticking caliper, needing an oil change and...some other stuff that probably hasn't reared it's ugly head yet

Nice tires Jason!

You will be pushing the limits of the front 10 bolt now.

Chromo's or a d60 are in your future.

Nice tires.

Went to Crawling for Reid at AOP this weekend. Had a good time and got a little shake down action done. It rained three days before and the trails were bad from rain and the traffic of people trying to get up the mountain. Set up worked well, driving with welded diffs is different than lunchbox lockers, they never pop and unlock for tight turns lol. Raised over $30,000 and had a good time.
0a4f4a245dc59a82864e17fea76d2ead.jpg

b78a7b68ddcee108aa6bb3d8940364d8.jpg

6a236a5d1a424623aa51da7e7f1061f5.jpg

I had to use a filter because the original one is so dark from the way the sun was. Sunday was a good day for riding once you got to the trails that no one rode yet.

Talked to Richie Keith, Bobby and Shelby Tanner, Scott Goforth, and Randall Key. They were all there and were super cool. They helped out big time and donated their time and money to a great cause.

897d74d0552283ffb5574e8712660d8f.jpg

Blinks. Bling + links
98540ef14b80ed03388f64bc4af326f7.jpg

Put my new (to me) tires and new wheels on the MJ. It's not pictured but I made a spare tire mount as well (the spare is standing straight up vs how you see it laying at an angle).

I ended up with 37X12.50-17 KM2's. I ordered 35X12.50-17 LTB's but apparently Interco has that tire made in China...and apparently there's a 130% tariff on Chinese made tires now. So they're all sitting in China in containers. So back to craigslist I went and the day these were posted I grabbed them. The wheels are 17X8 3.5" BS. Ended up costing me less than 4 new swampers and wheels would have so even though they're bigger (awe darn) than I wanted it works for me!

I also tweaked my front suspension a little and made the on road manners a fair bit better and now that's she's locked front and rear...has a good winch now...and more clearance under the pig of a 14B I think she's good to go! Except for the sticking caliper, needing an oil change and...some other stuff that probably hasn't reared it's ugly head yet

About friggin time! Looks great.

This weekend I spent laid up in bed recovering from getting my wisdom teeth yanked out of my skull with local anesthetic only. That was a wonderful experience. Still dealing with the recovery but at least I can go to class and attempt to eat some foods at the dining facility.

This weekend I spent laid up in bed recovering from getting my wisdom teeth yanked out of my skull with local anesthetic only. That was a wonderful experience. Still dealing with the recovery but at least I can go to class and attempt to eat some foods at the dining facility.

Had my wisdom teeth pulled there also when I was there! Some 12 years a ago though!

THX! I cannot wait to be up there again!

Good luck on your recovery...I'm one of the lucky ones in that all 4 of my wisdoms came in straight and with enough room. Of course I'm still dumb as a post but...

Back